Wattage Requirements - BSOD/Crashes

eth_jones

This might be a really simple question, but I can't find any guidance online!

The Amazon page for my GPU (Powercolor Red Dragon RX580 8GB) says that it takes 125W. But then further on, it says it recommend a 500w PSU. The manufacturer website says 500w as well.

Well I have a 450w PSU, but everything in my system combines to less than 450; Why does it say you'll need a 500w for the GPU? I've recently been suffering random crashes/BSOD's/slowdowns/SSD corruption and I'm starting to wonder if my PSU isn't beefy enough for my system. Sometimes I literally have to reinstall Windows10 because my SSD is just refusing to work with me after these crashes. It will work for a few days/weeks after reinstallation and then start to crash again.

This system was the first one I ever built, so I may have just bought an insufficient PSU. I have stress-tested the CPU, GPU and RAM and all is good.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz || MoBo: Asus H81M-C || RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX Blue || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 || PSU: Can't remember exactly but know it meets the needs of my components || Case: White Falcon Case || SSD: Kingston 120GB || Storage: WD Blue 1TB

What is the exact make and model of your PSU? Your signature says you don't remember so now is a good time to figure out. Wattage isn't everything, and while you're right that a 450 watt PSU is plenty, you need a quality one for a system you care about.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

What is the exact make and model of your PSU? Your signature says you don't remember so now is a good time to figure out. Wattage isn't everything, and while you're right that a 450 watt PSU is plenty, you need a quality one for a system you care about.

Hey man, I literally just realised that my signature was outdated! I've got it up to date now, but it's a Corsair CX450M

CPU: i5-4690K @ 3.5GHz || MoBo: Asus H81M-C || RAM: 16gb Kingston HyperX Blue || Cooler: Stock intel cooler || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 || PSU: Can't remember exactly but know it meets the needs of my components || Case: White Falcon Case || SSD: Kingston 120GB || Storage: WD Blue 1TB

Just now, eth_jones said:

Hey man, I literally just realised that my signature was outdated! I've got it up to date now, but it's a Corsair CX450M

In that case, I doubt it's specifically a PSU related problem (barring some strange defect). Have you investigated the blue screen error messages you get?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

Why does it say you'll need a 500w for the GPU?

Because they assume people buy crap PSU's, so of they overestimate how much is needed, they have a little more security people won't buy crap that is also too low wattage.

2 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

The Amazon page for my GPU (Powercolor Red Dragon RX580 8GB) says that it takes 125W. But then further on, it says it recommend a 500w PSU. The manufacturer website says 500w as well.

Well I have a 450w PSU, but everything in my system combines to less than 450; Why does it say you'll need a 500w for the GPU? I've recently been suffering random crashes/BSOD's/slowdowns/SSD corruption and I'm starting to wonder if my PSU isn't beefy enough for my system. Sometimes I literally have to reinstall Windows10 because my SSD is just refusing to work with me after these crashes. It will work for a few days/weeks after reinstallation and then start to crash again.

This system was the first one I ever built, so I may have just bought an insufficient PSU. I have stress-tested the CPU, GPU and RAM and all is good.

In my experience - my previous videocard being the RX 580 - software reported the RX 580 to use up to 190-200W of power. Combined with the rest of your system, a good quality 450W should be able to handle your system.

Crashes and such are not normal of course.

1 minute ago, eth_jones said:

The CXM is a good PSU, but of course things can go wrong.

I would troubleshoot further to see where the issue is. Possibly use someone else's PSU or something too.

My first guess would be the SSD (or any other storage drives you have) causing these issues. Download CrystalDiskInfo and CrystalDiskMark to:

1. See how the drives are doing (using CrystalDiskInfo)

and

2. benchmark your drives (using CrystalDiskMark) and ensure your system is not crashing and your speed number compare well with what review numbers for these same drives are seeing.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

In that case, I doubt it's specifically a PSU related problem (barring some strange defect). Have you investigated the blue screen error messages you get?

Yeah, so I look into the errors (there is a wide range), they're mostly related to the boot sector I think? But yeah, this is strange because it's after the PC has booted that the crashes occur. Yesterday it crashed in a Rocket League match, and the BSOD said "Bad system config info". Then when I rebooted it had one about the boot file again. I left it overnight and this morning it booted up fine, I ran stresstests etc. and then it randomly crashed and BSOD when I'd left it idle.

Actually had to reinstall the OS a couple hours ago cus I just couldn't get it to boot

@minibois Hi man,

I should have said originally that I am actually on my 3rd SSD :( I thought the SSD might be the problem when this happened around 6 months ago, and again a month ago, so I just bought new ones. Now I am starting to wonder if it might be PSU maybe damaging the SSD's or something like that, but I just don't know!!

Also worth noting potentially, the games I'm running are all stored on a 1TB HDD, not the SSD, which only has the OS and drivers

3 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

Yeah, so I look into the errors (there is a wide range), they're mostly related to the boot sector I think? But yeah, this is strange because it's after the PC has booted that the crashes occur. Yesterday it crashed in a Rocket League match, and the BSOD said "Bad system config info". Then when I rebooted it had one about the boot file again. I left it overnight and this morning it booted up fine, I ran stresstests etc. and then it randomly crashed and BSOD when I'd left it idle.

Actually had to reinstall the OS a couple hours ago cus I just couldn't get it to boot

Since you said that you've got new SSDs, it's possible that it's a ram error and that there's some kind of corruption. Have you ever done memtest?

Primary PC:

Since you said that you've got new SSDs, it's possible that it's a ram error and that there's some kind of corruption. Have you ever done memtest?

Yeah, last time I had this problem about 4-6 weeks ago I did a memtest. It was one I had to save to a USB drive and boot from the drive to run. I left it going for well over 2 hours and it came back with no errors. I've also never had a memory error on the BSOD either if that helps?

1 minute ago, eth_jones said:

Yeah, last time I had this problem about 4-6 weeks ago I did a memtest. It was one I had to save to a USB drive and boot from the drive to run. I left it going for well over 2 hours and it came back with no errors. I've also never had a memory error on the BSOD either if that helps?

Have you tested with both the SATA drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website as well as the default ones that are installed?

Primary PC:

Have you tested with both the SATA drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website as well as the default ones that are installed?

I always install all the drivers from the MOBO manufacturer page as soon as I install the OS if that's what you're asking :)

Just now, eth_jones said:

I always install all the drivers from the MOBO manufacturer page as soon as I install the OS if that's what you're asking :)

You could try without the drivers to see if that affects anything, aside from the ones needed for operating

Primary PC:

You could try without the drivers to see if that affects anything, aside from the ones needed for operating

Okay then yeah, let me try that. I will be away from the PC for a few hours now so maybe I can just leave it running and see what happens

@Fasauceome @minibois Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't installed the mobo sata drivers yet and it seems okay.

If this does happen again, how would you recommend testing the PSU for faults? Will just using a voltmeter be okay?

10 minutes ago, eth_jones said:

If this does happen again, how would you recommend testing the PSU for faults? Will just using a voltmeter be okay?

if you're gettingvoltage out of spec, it's worth checking, but you'd usually be getting watchdog errors for something like that

Primary PC:

All of the benchmarks on the two drives are looking fairly standard too