Power Supply help needed

yasin123
Go to solution Solved by OrionFOTL,
19 minutes ago, yasin123 said:

the website says that the psu has a 550w nominal power. what does that mean?

It means the PSU claims it can provide up to 550W combined power continuously.

Some PSUs lie about their capabilities, and they may claim to provide some amount of power, while shutting down or providing unclean power above some point.

Hi guys,

I want to buy a 550w psu for my pc with rtx 2060 and ryzen 7 2700x.

the website says that the psu has a 550w nominal power. what does that mean and is it fine on not?

10 minutes ago, yasin123 said:

the website says that the psu has a 550w nominal power.

what website is "the website"

if you're talking about a PSU calculator, don't bother abiding by it.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, yasin123 said:

the website says that the psu has a 550w nominal power. what does that mean?

It means the PSU claims it can provide up to 550W combined power continuously.

Some PSUs lie about their capabilities, and they may claim to provide some amount of power, while shutting down or providing unclean power above some point.

if you're buying from a big name, like corsair, coolermaster, bequiet etc. you're fine, but you must check certificate of PSU

if it says "80+" it means you're guaranteed stable performance when using less than DeclaredPower*80% (in your case 550W * 80% = 440W)

different certificates will mean bigger margin of this max power (e.g. 550W 80+ Platinum means 550W * 90% instead)

as i said, getting power supply from big brand is usually safe, and if you can more or less estimate power usage of your system under stress (100% CPU, 100% GPU etc.) all you need to do is simple maths

usually for midrange gaming rig 80+ silver is more than adequate, and 80+ gold is a bit of overkill, you may also try looking for PSU with bigger wattage but worse certificate (like 650W 80+ instead of 550W 80+ gold), it depends which is better deal for you

2 minutes ago, squaredamian said:

if you're buying from a big name, like corsair, coolermaster, bequiet etc. you're fine, but you must check certificate of PSU

if it says "80+" it means you're guaranteed stable performance when using less than DeclaredPower*80% (in your case 550W * 80% = 440W)

different certificates will mean bigger margin of this max power (e.g. 550W 80+ Platinum means 550W * 90% instead)

as i said, getting power supply from big brand is usually safe, and if you can more or less estimate power usage of your system under stress (100% CPU, 100% GPU etc.) all you need to do is simple maths

usually for midrange gaming rig 80+ silver is more than adequate, and 80+ gold is a bit of overkill, you may also try looking for PSU with bigger wattage but worse certificate (like 650W 80+ instead of 550W 80+ gold), it depends which is better deal for you

None of what you just said is true.

Corsair, Cooler Master, Be Quiet, and others all have shitty power supplies.
80+ certification is a measure of efficiency. How efficiently it converts the AC power from the mains to the DC power output.
Getting a worse power supply in a higher wattage is never a good idea.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, squaredamian said:

but you must check certificate of PSU

No, your understanding of the 80+ certificate is completely wrong.

80+ is a certificate of the power supply's efficiency. It does not certify anything about "stable performance".

PSUs are rated at output power.

If a PSU is rated at 550W and has efficiency of 80%, that means it pulls 687W from the wall to output 550W to the components.

If a PSU is rated at 550W with efficiency of 90%, that means it pulls 611W from the wall to output 550W to the components.

Both PSUs can supply 550W regardless of their efficiency.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

None of what you just said is true.

Corsair, Cooler Master, Be Quiet, and others all have shitty power supplies.
80+ certification is a measure of efficiency. How efficiently it converts the AC power from the mains to the DC power output.
Getting a worse power supply in a higher wattage is never a good idea.

1 minute ago, OrionFOTL said:

No, your understanding of the 80+ certificate is completely wrong.

80+ is a certificate of the power supply's efficiency. It does not certify anything about "stable performance".

PSUs are rated at output power.

If a PSU is rated at 550W and has efficiency of 80%, that means it pulls 687W from the wall to output 550W to the components.

If a PSU is rated at 550W with efficiency of 90%, that means it pulls 611W from the wall to output 550W to the components.

Both PSUs can supply 550W regardless of their efficiency.

ok, ok, i turned out to be mistaken for years, sorry for being an idiot and thanks for a lesson