Please help

Hey ltt forum I'm looking to make a server for the first time but my budget is very small I've been in and out of devices since I was 8 and I have my own pc but I need more storage than my case offers aswell as the fact that I want redundant storage with some kind of rack mounted option promise I won't drop anything anyone have advice or help to offer me for low cost setups with high capacity and reliability I'm not trying to mess around with one of those little 4 port nas prebuilt servers. I'm trying to go into computer engineering and networking to work for a data centre somewhere probably BC. Please reply with any advice or help thank you .

3 minutes ago, Ecstatic875 said:

Hey ltt forum I'm looking to make a server for the first time but my budget is very small I've been in and out of devices since I was 8 and I have my own pc but I need more storage than my case offers aswell as the fact that I want redundant storage with some kind of rack mounted option promise I won't drop anything anyone have advice or help to offer me for low cost setups with high capacity and reliability I'm not trying to mess around with one of those little 4 port nas prebuilt servers. I'm trying to go into computer engineering and networking to work for a data centre somewhere probably BC. Please reply with any advice or help thank you .

if u still wanna stick with a pc instead i can suggest upgrading the one you have since thats a low cost way

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

This is how you make almost anything rack mounted: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008X3JHJQ/

We will need some more information to be able to help you though:

How much capacity do you need?

How many bays do you think you need?

Is this simply file storage, or do you need to run services on it?

What is your budget? Very small doesn't tell us much as it means wildly different amounts to different people.

Your cheapest option is going to be upgrading a drive or two inside of your case. 8TB drives are ~$150, get two that you mirror for 8TB of redundant storage for $300.

Next step up are those cheap NAS's, figure $200 for the NAS at $500 total.

Then you are in server territory, where you can spend $500 or $50,000 depending on what you need.

The bulk of the cost for basic storage capacity is always going to be the hard drives, and there isn't any way to cheap out on that. Even buying data center pulls doesn't really save much money and will cost you more in hassle and power consumption in the long run.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:50 AM, Windows7ge said:

Are you looking to have a full fledged server or are you after a NAS?

Server 

On 3/6/2020 at 11:50 AM, Windows7ge said:

Are you looking to have a full fledged server or are you after a NAS?

Server 

Look into ebay for barebone servers. You can find them from supermicro, dell, hpe. Then you just populate your own CPU, RAM, HDDs. It's a lot of power for cheap.

57 minutes ago, Ecstatic875 said:

Server 

Server 

What services are you planning to run? Or do you know how much performance you need, how much RAM you need? Its really hard to recommend something without information.

How much capacity do you need? A dell R220 is a good cheap choice, but it will only hold two drives.