Create a personal AWS ec2 like service

Go to solution Solved by Jarsky,

Just to clarify, EC2 isnt elastic across nodes; its elastic in resources up to the nodes limit. 

Thats why the largest EC2 instance is 96 vCPU's which is 2 x 24core Intel Xeons (48C/96T).

10 minutes ago, jpp46 said:

1. How do I physically link a series of computers together

You physically link computers together typically using Network. i.e a network switch of some description, and network adapters

2. How do I link them in software with something like a hypervisor

You install the hypervisor software onto each server (node), and then you link them together in a cluster. 

e.g using VMware you install ESXi on each of the physical servers, you then create a VCSA (vCenter Appliance) which you then join all the hosts to and configure your storage, distributed networks and clusters. 

3. How do I dynamically create new systems like a linux server with some set of virtual hardware specs like how on aws you pick your build (but obviously without thier fancy interface for it)

You use some sort of automation script. In the VMware world you use vRealize Orchestrator which has an end user web interface. 

4. What else do I need to do so that I can have multiple of these virtual machines running at a time each as individual servers

I'm not sure what you mean by this...you create as many VM's as you want and that your hardware can handle and in a hypervisor cluster you just put them on whichever host has the resource, or you want them to run on.

5. What is the cheapest way to play around with this idea so I can get it right before I buy better hardware

VMware ESXi and vCenter have an evaluation license if you want to go try that out, it has IIRC a 60 day evaluation license. You can virtualise ESXi hosts on VMware Workstation if you have a PC with enough power. (Predominantly memory as VCSA requires 10GB free memory to install)

You could "trial" the entire VMware suite for $250/year as part of a VMUG subscription. Keep in mind real licensing for vCenter & vRealize is very expensive beyond using a VMUG license for "personal learning". 

Essentially I would like to make a mini data center in my house such that it implements all of the components in a real data center but at a very small scale, if anyone can help answer some of these questions or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

You might possibly want to look into cheap/free alternatives such as Proxmox or Hyper-V. Hyper-V you can get or create Powershell scripts to automate VM creation etc....

I was wondering if it is possible to set up a personal version of something like AWS ec2 (elastic compute):

I computer scientist so I have used these tools a lot but am really new to setting up such systems, the questions I have go something like this:

3. How do I dynamically create new systems like a linux server with some set of virtual hardware specs like how on aws you pick your build (but obviously without thier fancy interface for it)

4. What else do I need to do so that I can have multiple of these virtual machines running at a time each as individual servers

5. What is the cheapest way to play around with this idea so I can get it right before I buy better hardware

Essentially I would like to make a mini data center in my house such that it implements all of the components in a real data center but at a very small scale, if anyone can help answer some of these questions or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Most hypervisors support clusters and some sort of scripting, like you would with ec2.

You get a few servers, put a hypervisor on them, then setup shared storage, script it to scale as needed.

There is no super easy way to do it, thats what ec2 is for. If you want to set this up for production you should probably hire someone that knows how to do this.

If you want to do this for home, just get a server, put proxmox or simmilar on it and make some vms.

Just to clarify, EC2 isnt elastic across nodes; its elastic in resources up to the nodes limit. 

Thats why the largest EC2 instance is 96 vCPU's which is 2 x 24core Intel Xeons (48C/96T).

You physically link computers together typically using Network. i.e a network switch of some description, and network adapters

You install the hypervisor software onto each server (node), and then you link them together in a cluster. 

e.g using VMware you install ESXi on each of the physical servers, you then create a VCSA (vCenter Appliance) which you then join all the hosts to and configure your storage, distributed networks and clusters. 

You use some sort of automation script. In the VMware world you use vRealize Orchestrator which has an end user web interface. 

I'm not sure what you mean by this...you create as many VM's as you want and that your hardware can handle and in a hypervisor cluster you just put them on whichever host has the resource, or you want them to run on.

VMware ESXi and vCenter have an evaluation license if you want to go try that out, it has IIRC a 60 day evaluation license. You can virtualise ESXi hosts on VMware Workstation if you have a PC with enough power. (Predominantly memory as VCSA requires 10GB free memory to install)

You could "trial" the entire VMware suite for $250/year as part of a VMUG subscription. Keep in mind real licensing for vCenter & vRealize is very expensive beyond using a VMUG license for "personal learning". 

You might possibly want to look into cheap/free alternatives such as Proxmox or Hyper-V. Hyper-V you can get or create Powershell scripts to automate VM creation etc....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Okay this sounds like the information I need, but just to clarify I could buy a couple cheap computers like this wipe the hard drives and install something like Xen Project Hypervisor on them link them together and basically experiment with the other software mentioned from there.

I guess I am asking if this sounds like a good first step?

1 minute ago, jpp46 said:

Okay this sounds like the information I need, but just to clarify I could buy a couple cheap computers like this wipe the hard drives and install something like Xen Project Hypervisor on them link them together and basically experiment with the other software mentioned from there.

I guess I am asking if this sounds like a good first step?

Your gonna want faster computers that that, get core i7 generations chips or never, stay away from core 2 chips.

Also how much total compute power do you need in the cluster? Id get a single faster computer here.

If you want a budget server, Id get something like a dell r720 today. They can be like 10-20x faster than that desktop you linked aswell, and store 512gb+ of ram.

If you want to setup a lab I wouldn't go with such old systems. If we're talking the VMware setup then they'd need a minimum of 16GB memory each, and 250-500GB of space to account for the VCSA & vRealize installs (VCSA itself needs 10GB memory and 200GB space for the VCSA+PSC)

I'd go the above route and get a decent system, you can always run 1 hypervisor on there, and then virtualise your nodes to build a test lab. Once you're happy then you can always just buy a second duplicate node if more compute is needed, and more memory for them to build it out properly. 

You might find you dont even need to build out a cluster, and that you're happy just running something like Proxmox and doing everything on there...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

10 hours ago, Jarsky said:

If you want to setup a lab I wouldn't go with such old systems. If we're talking the VMware setup then they'd need a minimum of 16GB memory each, and 250-500GB of space to account for the VCSA & vRealize installs (VCSA itself needs 10GB memory and 200GB space for the VCSA+PSC)

I'd go the above route and get a decent system, you can always run 1 hypervisor on there, and then virtualise your nodes to build a test lab. Once you're happy then you can always just buy a second duplicate node if more compute is needed, and more memory for them to build it out properly. 

You might find you dont even need to build out a cluster, and that you're happy just running something like Proxmox and doing everything on there...

That is good to know, I agree that I could achieve the same with just a single more powerful computer, however I am mainly doing this for personal interest/education purposes.

I will be graduating in a year from my Ph.D. program and want to be a professor, I like hand on courses so am also thinking of designing a data center course where the students actually build a fully functioning data center (although smaller), and reuse the hardware mostly from year to year. To do that I will need to be able to do it myself first.

2 hours ago, jpp46 said:

That is good to know, I agree that I could achieve the same with just a single more powerful computer, however I am mainly doing this for personal interest/education purposes.

I will be graduating in a year from my Ph.D. program and want to be a professor, I like hand on courses so am also thinking of designing a data center course where the students actually build a fully functioning data center (although smaller), and reuse the hardware mostly from year to year. To do that I will need to be able to do it myself first.

You can also get one faster computer, and do this full setup in vms. Nest virtualization lets you do this.

If you are after getting a bunch. Try public auctions or make friends with some local e recyclers

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs