Antivirus for both Windows and Mac

Yo, this is my first post and it's probably a stupid question but what are your thought on antivirus on Windows and Mac? If there is anything you would recommend, Both paid and free, what would you recommend? I know that most people will just reply with "Just use your brain, you don't need antivirus" "Mac don't get virus" or "Windows defender is enough" but for someone as paranoid as me, it's the same as telling me that Corona isn't going to affect me as long as I stay away from people who have the disease. 

TL:DR, Gimme some thoughts on antivirus and what you would recommend if I want to get one or two on either Windows and Mac (I have both).

on my Mac i use malwarevbytes. 

my Windows pc's have Windows defender. i literally only use those for gaming and nothing else so if they get infected i'll just yeet the OS and reinstall it. 

She/Her

Well, Windows Defender is an anti-virus and it has been tested to perform about the same as free alternatives - so I don't really recommend anything else. If it makes you feel safer you can install an anti-malware like malwarebytes and run a scan every so often.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I use nothing on my personal Mac or PCs (Macs are less susceptible so far, Windows comes with Defender), at work we use Sophos Cloud (paid, but there's a free consumer version for personal use). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Twilight said:

on my Mac i use malwarevbytes. 

my Windows pc's have Windows defender. i literally only use those for gaming and nothing else so if they get infected i'll just yeet the OS and reinstall it. 

I'll be honest, I just installed Malwarebytes since I got paranoid for bypassing gatekeeper for my MacBook Air.....

Thank you for the fast reply.

I do the same as @Twilight except for I don't use an antivirus on my Mac. I just avoid dodgy websites and back my documents up to the cloud. 

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Well, Windows Defender is an anti-virus and it has been tested to perform about the same as free alternatives - so I don't really recommend anything else. If it makes you feel safer you can install an anti-malware like malwarebytes and run a scan every so often.

I usually surf the web for stuff so I'm kinda paranoid about malware. Any tip to protect myself from the web?

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

I use nothing on my personal Mac or PCs (Macs are less susceptible so far, Windows comes with Defender), at work we use Sophos Cloud (paid, but there's a free consumer version for personal use). 

I'll look into that. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

I do the same as @Twilight except for I don't use an antivirus on my Mac. I just avoid dodgy websites and back my documents up to the cloud. 

backing up documents does nothing if a virus infects the files and those get synched up. like, if ransomware encrypts it and it syncs then you'll have encrypted files in there. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Skullie_The_Noob said:

I usually surf the web for stuff so I'm kinda paranoid about malware. Any tip to protect myself from the web?

Install ublock

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

Kinda hard for me to do that. I don't work well with softwares (I have to clean reset my laptop 4 times in a week cause I was playing around) and for hardware.......I broke a laptop by trying to set up a rift s. I had to return it.

Yep, my history with electronic is as good as setting fire to water in the kitchen.

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Install ublock

Do they work on Mac though? I see so many new one star review and complains on it.....

1 minute ago, Skullie_The_Noob said:

Do they work on Mac though? I see so many new one star review and complains on it.....

It depends on the browser, it works great on firefox and chrome, maybe not so much on safari.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Skullie_The_Noob said:

yes they do, on chrome (and all browsers based on it) and firefox they work great, Safari requires some extra steps to set one up but it does work. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It depends on the browser, it works great on firefox and chrome, maybe not so much on safari.

Funny thing, I'm not fond of safari and I'm using chrome on Mac lol. Good for me I guess.

2 minutes ago, Twilight said:

yes they do, on chrome (and all browsers based on it) and firefox they work great, Safari requires some extra steps to set one up but it does work. 

Tweaking an app seems like a recipe for disaster......at least to me.

Just now, Skullie_The_Noob said:

Funny thing, I'm not fond of safari and I'm using chrome on Mac lol. Good for me I guess.

indeed.

Just now, Skullie_The_Noob said:

Tweaking an app seems like a recipe for disaster......at least to me.

i didn't mean tweaking. Safari requires additional steps because there are more security measurers in place for extentions. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

indeed.

i didn't mean tweaking. Safari requires additional steps because there are more security measurers in place for extentions. 

I shall just silently delete(Ignore) safari and use google chrome. Safari doesn't work with some of my study materials after all....

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

backing up documents does nothing if a virus infects the files and those get synched up. like, if ransomware encrypts it and it syncs then you'll have encrypted files in there. 

Ransomware is extremely rare on OSX. Also, I've never heard of it infecting iCloud saves. If it can, I should probably look into something. However, unless LTT, youtube, or gmail get infected I should be fine with my Mac. 

• 4 months later...
On 3/5/2020 at 4:30 PM, 2Ku11i3 said:

Yo, this is my first post and it's probably a stupid question but what are your thought on antivirus on Windows and Mac? If there is anything you would recommend, Both paid and free, what would you recommend? I know that most people will just reply with "Just use your brain, you don't need antivirus" "Mac don't get virus" or "Windows defender is enough" but for someone as paranoid as me, it's the same as telling me that Corona isn't going to affect me as long as I stay away from people who have the disease. 

TL:DR, Gimme some thoughts on antivirus and what you would recommend if I want to get one or two on either Windows and Mac (I have both).

For my Mac I just use Malwarebytes. For Windows I use the built in Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I have used Avast in the past, but they are very pushy with ads to get you to buy. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.