Hackintosh might end

skylinetofast

As it stands right now all macs are running intel cpu's and amd gpu's. all  mac cpu's and gpu's are available for costume pc's. Amd cpu's are not supposed because apple dose not use them in any of their mac devices. As it stands right now apple is planing to mac that will use a cpu made by apple them self. If apple is able to get all of there mac devices to run on there own cpu's then they  can lock down there operating systems a lot better. Right now as it stands the the Mac Pro has locked the internal ssd making it imposable for the user swap it. If apple locks there operating system so that it can only run on there cpu's then hackintosh community will come to a end. Do you agree? 

Technically yes, but you can build a Hackintosh now with an AMD CPU even though there is no AMD factory mac.

Never say never.

4 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Technically yes, but you can build a Hackintosh now with an AMD CPU even though there is no AMD factory mac.

Never say never.

I did not know Hackintosh could be done with amd cpu's. I thought you could only use a mac vm on a amd cpu. thank's for the info 

23 minutes ago, skylinetofast said:

I did not know Hackintosh could be done with amd cpu's. I thought you could only use a mac vm on a amd cpu. thank's for the info 

Do a quick google on the topic.  Lots of good info out there.

The MacOS Darwin Kernel is open-source, which is how the Hackintosh community was able to get AMD Support added. Due to the way the kernel is licensed, it wont change unless they decide to build there own, which I don't see happening in the near future. With this in mind, support for any current or future CPU's would be possible regardless if they decided to make their own CPU. For anything else, the community will just keep spoofing everything and creating drivers as they always have.

47 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

The MacOS Darwin Kernel is open-source, which is how the Hackintosh community was able to get AMD Support added. Due to the way the kernel is licensed, it wont change unless they decide to build there own, which I don't see happening in the near future. With this in mind, support for any current or future CPU's would be possible regardless if they decided to make their own CPU. For anything else, the community will just keep spoofing everything and creating drivers as they always have.

"support for any current or future CPU's would be possible regardless if they decided to make their own CPU"  Apple managed to get the ssd locked on their mac pro making it imposable to change the ssd with an off the shelf ssd. what will stop apple from making there own CPU'S and having the os locked to there own cpu's

2 hours ago, skylinetofast said:

As it stands right now all macs are running intel cpu's and amd gpu's. all  mac cpu's and gpu's are available for costume pc's. Amd cpu's are not supposed because apple dose not use them in any of their mac devices. As it stands right now apple is planing to mac that will use a cpu made by apple them self. If apple is able to get all of there mac devices to run on there own cpu's then they  can lock down there operating systems a lot better. Right now as it stands the the Mac Pro has locked the internal ssd making it imposable for the user swap it. If apple locks there operating system so that it can only run on there cpu's then hackintosh community will come to a end. Do you agree? 

Despite rumors about Apple possibly switching to their own CPU's, it's never going to happen the way the stock speculators think it will.

At best, there will be no switch at all, and the people who have been predicting this for the last 5 years will again have egg on their faces. However other parts like the security chips and other co-processors may be added to future mac's that may make a "hackintosh" no where near as compatible as regular mac. As long as Apple still supports OSX on OSX virtualization, hackintosh'ing is going nowhere.

At worst, Apple would just discontinue the MacBook Air in favor of the iPad Pro. Because at present the iPad Pro is more powerful than the MacBook Air. It may also happen that they discontinue to the iMac models that do not have a dedicated GPU in favor of the iPad Pro. There really is no point to "switching" to ARM CPU's for their main OS because they are then having to double their efforts, and you might have been able to predict this with the lack of attention Apple gave to the Mac Pro, but now that there is a new Mac Pro, no broad ARM switch is going to happen.

Like the most likely thing to happen will be replacing the weak laptop/desktop models with larger iPad Pro's, and enabling iPad OS to use a mouse and the full functionality of a keyboard. That's about the extent of it. There is no point making an "arm build" of the OSX unless they seriously intend to make some uber-cheap laptop, and Apple is in no hurry to replicate Microsoft's experience with putting a "crappier" version of their OS that runs no legacy software like they tried with the Surface with Windows RT. There is no demand for that. Any investor who has been watching Apple for the last decade knows that Apple doesn't make rubbish or cheap devices because they consider themselves a luxury brand with a style that sometimes takes precedence over function. There is no "garbage apple products", and making an ARM Apple desktop or an ARM Apple Laptop would be doing that.

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

At worst, Apple would just discontinue the MacBook Air in favor of the iPad Pro. Because at present the iPad Pro is more powerful than the MacBook Air.

A turd with an HDMI cable jammed into it is more powerful than a MacBook Air, and up until this year it had a better display, too.

Seriously though, discontinuing the Air wouldn't be a surprise. By pricing the Air up and up, they're really steering a lot of that lower-end laptop market into their iPad line instead. They're also very quickly approaching the point where the MacBook Air is into the level of pricing where another $200 for a 13" MBP isn't a big deal. Considering that the Air is basically the worst laptop on the face of the earth that you can buy (from a value perspective), I'd almost expect them to kill it off within the next few years.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

A turd with an HDMI cable jammed into it is more powerful than a MacBook Air, and up until this year it had a better display, too.

Seriously though, discontinuing the Air wouldn't be a surprise. By pricing the Air up and up, they're really steering a lot of that lower-end laptop market into their iPad line instead. They're also very quickly approaching the point where the MacBook Air is into the level of pricing where another $200 for a 13" MBP isn't a big deal. Considering that the Air is basically the worst laptop on the face of the earth that you can buy (from a value perspective), I'd almost expect them to kill it off within the next few years.

The macbook air is probably going to be the first mac device to get the ARM cpu and with that the price will come down. for the price you pay is good also you can run two operating systems on it. the ipad will never reach the point were it can replace the macbook air. apple put's so much time and effect into the ipad os just to have it be hot garbage  compared  osx 10.7.5 

1 hour ago, skylinetofast said:

"support for any current or future CPU's would be possible regardless if they decided to make their own CPU"  Apple managed to get the ssd locked on their mac pro making it imposable to change the ssd with an off the shelf ssd. what will stop apple from making there own CPU'S and having the os locked to there own cpu's

Here is something else to think about, a hackintosh doesn't need the proprietary ssd macs use. I'm not too familiar but I imagine its more of a hardware thing between the motherboard and ssd, but I could be wrong. Mac already has other checks in place for hardware, every bit of it is spoofed to reported back to the system as standard mac hardware.

Really as long as the kernel stays open-source, which it has to for licensing reasons, I think it will be hard for Apple stop anything.

But then again, a new closed-source kernel could be in the works. I think if that happens, that's where I would get concerned.

A architecture change could break bare metal support, but i'm sure we would see virtualized ways pop up for it to run under with minimal overhead. I guess that could apply to a closed-source kernel as well.

My hackintosh is old but is working really well for 5k video editing. I don't want the hackintosh to end because i been hackintoshing for 10 years now  

this is my build 

Mother board 

Gigabyte ultra durable H97N-Wifi

Ram

16Gb

Cpu 

i5-4690K

Gpu

RX570 8gb 

wd blue 4tb hdd - boot drive

segate 4tb hdd  - more storage.

In my opinion, for them to really lockdown their OS, they would need to remove Virtualization support since Virtualization would be possible. 

I would say that Apple could maybe allow people to buy licenses to use on other hardware, and the hackintosh community would be ended since there would be a legal option to do it. 

23 hours ago, skylinetofast said:

Apple won’t be switching CPUs any time soon. As it stands I really only see them doing it for non Pro machines.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 11:13 PM, Kisai said:

Despite rumors about Apple possibly switching to their own CPU's, it's never going to happen the way the stock speculators think it will.

At best, there will be no switch at all, and the people who have been predicting this for the last 5 years will again have egg on their faces. However other parts like the security chips and other co-processors may be added to future mac's that may make a "hackintosh" no where near as compatible as regular mac. As long as Apple still supports OSX on OSX virtualization, hackintosh'ing is going nowhere.

At worst, Apple would just discontinue the MacBook Air in favor of the iPad Pro. Because at present the iPad Pro is more powerful than the MacBook Air. It may also happen that they discontinue to the iMac models that do not have a dedicated GPU in favor of the iPad Pro. There really is no point to "switching" to ARM CPU's for their main OS because they are then having to double their efforts, and you might have been able to predict this with the lack of attention Apple gave to the Mac Pro, but now that there is a new Mac Pro, no broad ARM switch is going to happen.

Like the most likely thing to happen will be replacing the weak laptop/desktop models with larger iPad Pro's, and enabling iPad OS to use a mouse and the full functionality of a keyboard. That's about the extent of it. There is no point making an "arm build" of the OSX unless they seriously intend to make some uber-cheap laptop, and Apple is in no hurry to replicate Microsoft's experience with putting a "crappier" version of their OS that runs no legacy software like they tried with the Surface with Windows RT. There is no demand for that. Any investor who has been watching Apple for the last decade knows that Apple doesn't make rubbish or cheap devices because they consider themselves a luxury brand with a style that sometimes takes precedence over function. There is no "garbage apple products", and making an ARM Apple desktop or an ARM Apple Laptop would be doing that.

I see eggs, eggs on your face

🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚 

😭

5 hours ago, cmosh said:

I see eggs, eggs on your face

🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚🥚 

😭

Are you some ban-evader?

The investment people have been spreading this rumor for over a decade, and it's always the same guy.

image.thumb.png.7f419b499acdb3084bcee39e4ece6b7f.png

While I think it's early to say that hackintoosh will die (I think it will be a big hit on them, initially). We will still be able to run Mac OS on virtual machines, right?

And hello there, this is my first post here