Server for Website hosting, NAS, game hosting, etc...

Hey everyone,

I've been a long time fan of Linus Tech Tips and have in the past used this forum to answer a lot of technical questions so if like to start off with thank you guys for that.  So i'm in a club at my college and we want to build a server and experiment with it.  We want it to be decently powerful as we need a shop computer upgrade anyway.  We haven't ordered anything yet but we have picked out a ryzen 5 2600 and a B-450 motherboard with 8GB of ram and a 600w power-supply.  We want to rack mount and ideally the rack would have room for expand ability in the future.  Any suggestions from the more knowledgeable on here any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael Nezz

If you're on a budget I think it'd be in your greater interest to pick a barebone rack-mount server off eBay. The hardware is more appropriate and has greater functionality.

For an OS I'd install a hypervisor. Something like PROXMOX.

Should i be looking for xeons?  Or does the cpu core count really matter?

Personally core count mattered more than core speed on my servers. The ability to multi task far outweighed the raw computing power. RAM is also important for game hosting, 8Gb is being used on it's own in my MC box running Ubuntu! 

There's plenty of barebones rack mounts out there for really decent money! Start small and work upwards if need be!

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

Awesome!! I found some great dual core xeons with 32gb of ram on ebay for under 200.  Thank you for all the help

5 hours ago, Nessy2143 said:

Awesome!! I found some great dual core xeons with 32gb of ram on ebay for under 200.  Thank you for all the help

Make sure theyre at the very least 5500 series Xeons (you can upgrade them to 5600) or some variant of the E5 Xeon's. 

Pre 5500 (e.g 5300/5400) are horribly inefficient, and 3000 series/E3 Xeons are limited and very expensive due to the short run on the LGA1155/LGA1156 sockets. 

So you're looking for Dell R710 or R720 or HP DL380 G6/G7/G8 or Supermicro with a C600 series chipset (e.g C602/C612)

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA