Recommended GPU For 1080p 144Hz Gaming/Streaming

WuffieGG

True, in this case it doesn't really apply since the OP only wants 1080p, but I just threw that in since I feel like that's really the only way people would really notice the difference in a few fps without the counter on screen.

I feel like as long as the sync is within range on the monitor, you really wouldn't notice the difference in a few fps. The 5700XT is even rated for playing games in 1440p, which is still much more than the OP is asking for, but they said they want something future proof, aka "MUST be an upgrade that lasts for a while", so this gives them some headroom if they're using the card in a lower resolution. It just means the framerates will be even higher so long as their CPU can keep up, and I'm pretty sure that 3900X can keep up. ?

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

16 minutes ago, Steo said:

but they said they want something future proof, aka "MUST be an upgrade that lasts for a while",

Well its not cut and dry for example here 

Bench uploaded on January 2020 (all cards are stock )

19 games in total on which (at 1080p res) metrically the 2070 super is better over all but still in 5 out of 14 games the 5700 XT performs better than the 2070 super on all scenarios by just a few frames and on all scenarios (at 1080p) both cards performed well above 100 FPS 

So in terms of "futureproofness" I again see no noticeable difference by the time the framerates will drop as low to have those 1-10FPS count as a difference it means that either of those cards will perform so poor that it would need to get upgraded anyway.  

If you take into account the price (here in europe the chpeast RX 5700 xt costs 359 euros and the cheapest 2070 super 499 euros so 140 euro difference in price )  it would be much wiser to buy the 140 euro cheaper card then when it doesnt perform well enough sell it for e.g 100 euro add the 140 you saved and with those 240 euros buy the next 300-400ish card of the future 

Anyway that is what I would do in this scenario and that's why I made that suggestion to OP obviously OP or anybody for that matter can choose for him/her self. 

I would go with the cheaper card personally since you can either save that money, or else invest it towards something else for the system. I know that the 5700XT would perform much better in games like Forza Horizon 4, so as you said, I guess it just depends on how much a small fps difference in certain games will matter to the OP. It wouldn't bother me, knowing that the value is much better.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240