Recommended GPU For 1080p 144Hz Gaming/Streaming

WuffieGG

image.png.853c35efdf323d6fe0167b3deed74cb0.png 

Hey everyone, completely new user here. I'd like to ask you of what GPU would suit me as an upgrade. At the top I've cut the extra click for ya so you can see my hardware composition. Here's a bit of requirement's I need the GPU to cover:

• As I don't care for 1440p/2160p gaming/streaming, it has to be able to run ANY game at highest settings at 1080p at 144+ FPS
  • Be able to stream on Twitch at 1080p for both stream and game.
  • MUST be an upgrade that lasts for a while.

I thank you for taking time out of your day to help me decide what to save money up for, I appreciate it!

Agree with post above so long as we aren't talking about AC Odyssey or some such game that requires a Cray super computer to generate 144fps.

yeah, if you're looking for 144fps in red dead redemption, there isn't a card on the market that can do that yet

Good to hear that 2070 SUPER is recommended. My roommate has recommended the same, I just wanted more intel from a community dedicated to this stuff.

4 minutes ago, Stu_Bear said:

Agree with post above so long as we aren't talking about AC Odyssey or some such game that requires a Cray super computer to generate 144fps.

We're talking games like The Division 2, Several MMO's like Black Desert Online and maybe being able to push Dragon Quest XI

1 hour ago, WuffieGG said:

We're talking games like The Division 2, Several MMO's like Black Desert Online and maybe being able to push Dragon Quest XI

As far as i know you can easily run division 2 even at 1440p without you GPU being a bottleneck with 2070super

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

AMD's RX5700XT is allegedly on par with performance of a 2070 with RTX off of course. That being said, I can share with you on the team red side of things that a 2070 is likely get you 144fps on a lot of different titles, but you may struggle to achieve that in some titles, including TC The Division 2. I am running 130 with a +/- 10 fps for Div 2 on low/medium settings. Mind you, I am running a 2600X versus your 3900X. So my experience is biased.

I could be wrong, feel free to correct me accordingly, as I am replying based off experience with my specific hardware, noted below.

You could also check out a website called gpucheck, where you can compare cpu/gpu combos against eachother and it will tell you things like cost per frame, average fps on different resolutions, as well as provide you with a list of titles and the average fps in said games. It may not always be the most accurate check, but can definitely provide you with a general baseline on how that cpu/gpu combo could perform.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

Why does the card matter? Are you not gonna use the cpu to stream?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

(the benchmarks here are @1440p) 

I would recommend you to get a RX 5700 xt because the difference is negligible whether team red is aead or nvidia... I mean seriously who could feel the difference of a couple of ingame FPS if he didnt had a counter to notice it? So that being said why not getting the cheaper card? 

+ AMD finewine drivers 

+ you already have an AMD cpu so why not keep the theme? :P 

-No RTX (if you can see that as a con because a) is more like a gimmick as of yet b) a 2070 barely the horse power for realistically taking advantage of it anyway if you want to really enable RTX and have high graphical settings and high FPS I think you need to go for an RTX 2080 ti) 

2 hours ago, papajo said:

-No RTX (if you can see that as a con because a) is more like a gimmick as of yet b) a 2070 barely the horse power for realistically taking advantage of it anyway if you want to really enable RTX and have high graphical settings and high FPS I think you need to go for an RTX 2080 ti) 

this line just depicts AMD fandom.

2 hours ago, papajo said:

I mean seriously who could feel the difference of a couple of ingame FPS if he didnt had a counter to notice it?

YOU are wrong

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Are you not gonna use the cpu to stream?

The new NVENC encoder is better/at par with the software encoding

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Nobody would notice it unless they were playing at 60fps with vsync and the framerate dipped below it, the difference in a couple of frames using G-sync or Freesync when you're already way over 100fps is not going to make much of a difference tbh.

In fairness, I don't see RTX being of much use anytime soon, but that depends on whether the OP actually intends to use it or not anyway. If they don't, it doesn't matter which card they go for, both are good, and the AMD is better value.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

13 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Why does the card matter? Are you not gonna use the cpu to stream?

I am using the cpu to stream, but in Division 2 my GPU is underneath minimum requirements so a lot of stutters happen while the rest is well more than enough to run the game. The idea is to get a GPU that lasts me into the future for even more requiring games. 

12 hours ago, papajo said:

+ AMD finewine drivers 

+ you already have an AMD cpu so why not keep the theme? :P 

I will definitely put 5700 XT on the list for now. The comparison was quite impressive.

10 hours ago, Srijan Verma said:

this line just depicts AMD fandom.

This line just depicts NVIDIA fandom :P

9 hours ago, Steo said:

Nobody would notice it unless they were playing at 60fps with vsync and the framerate dipped below it, the difference in a couple of frames using G-sync or Freesync when you're already way over 100fps is not going to make much of a difference tbh.

I would argue that even there it would be difficult to tell (if it was just about a couple of FPS) besides that both GPU play any game I am aware of at a higher than 70 FPS rate at 1080p (which is OPs resolution of choice. ) 

10 hours ago, Srijan Verma said:

YOU are wrong

nope I am not you are just a fanboy 

47 minutes ago, WuffieGG said:

I am using the cpu to stream, but in Division 2 my GPU is underneath minimum requirements so a lot of stutters happen while the rest is well more than enough to run the game. The idea is to get a GPU that lasts me into the future for even more requiring games. 

Well I guess that would depend on the budget. I wouldn’t get anything less than a 2080s myself. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

46 minutes ago, papajo said:

nope I am not you are just a fanboy 

wondering if you just reply instead of repeating my statement

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

15 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

wondering if you just reply instead of repeating my statement

Why should I? did you post something more than a statement? and on top of that you were refuting common knowledge so why bother explaining to you that you cant notice a difference of a few FPS on those frame-rates (or at any frame-rate for that matter) it would be futile since by making the statements you made its obvious that you are preoccupied. 

3 minutes ago, papajo said:

few FPS on those frame-rates (or at any frame-rate for that matter)

ok we clearly are done here

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

5 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

ok we clearly are done here

that what I said already 2 post above lol

1 hour ago, papajo said:

I would argue that even there it would be difficult to tell (if it was just about a couple of FPS) besides that both GPU play any game I am aware of at a higher than 70 FPS rate at 1080p (which is OPs resolution of choice. ) 

I mainly mean if you were playing at 60fps using vsync, but then it dropped below 60, it would introduce tearing or stuttering etc., so people would definitely notice it in that situation. I don't think a couple of fps would be that noticeable using G-sync or Freesync though, especially when the framerate is higher.

I wouldn't pay extra for RTX myself personally since I feel like it would hinder performance far too much, and I also wouldn't mind the slightly worse performance when you think of the price difference, but I guess it's up to the buyer what they prefer.

OS: LFS, Arch, Gentoo | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F | RAM: 16GB HyperX @ 3600MHz (OC)

GPU: XFX Thicc III Ultra RX 5700 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe, 500GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD

PSU: BeQuiet 530W | Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

44 minutes ago, Steo said:

I mainly mean if you were playing at 60fps using vsync, but then it dropped below 60, it would introduce tearing or stuttering etc., so people would definitely notice it in that situation.

I understood what you said its just that in practice that's not the case because

a) on our example the cards performed well above 60 FPS on 1440p resolution as where OP asked for 1080p resolution (which means they would have even better performance on 1080p 

b) The is no reason to use vsync especially since Freesync and Gsync exists but even ignoring that vsync is an option you would turn off in the majority of cases unless you play something like an RTS and on those (playing RTSs since the 90s) I can say that again it would be negligible to your experience I mean if you put 90 people on 90 same speced computers and introduce a frame drop of a couple frames yes there might be some or many people noticing that micro stutter but only because they were focusing on noticing this effect if you just play your favorite RTS for 3 or more hours everyday you wouldn't even remember anything like that happening not to mention getting bothered about it. 

To showcase even further about how negligible a couple of FPS is here is a very extreme scenario 

play it on full screen at 1080p60

The videostream outputed by youtube is at 60FPS on both footages so that will server as an artificial Vsync. 

yet one footage is captured at a 30FPS rate and the other at 60 FPS. 

So

a) this is a noticeable difference of double the framerate 30FPS vs 60FPS or 30FPS difference not just a couple. 

b) The FPS rates on both videos are low enough to be able to tell differences in motion (even the 60FPS one) because motion needs (empirically speaking I dont have any scientific paper in mind but I am sure you can agree that most gamers would say the same) atleast 60FPS to be perceived as "fluid" motion and here 60FPS is the cap.. so no more.. (that's important because on our maintopic discussion we are talking about framerates well above 70 FPS which makes it even harder to tell a difference even in scenes with motion compared to a scenario where it would be only 60FPS) 

You may be able to find the difference and tell me which one is 30 FPS and which one is 60 FPS...

But if you are honest and truthful to yourself the difference is negligible that whatsoever microstutters experienced here in the lower FPS footage wouldnt make your game experience dramatically worse would it? 

Now think how even further minuscule the difference would be if we were talking about 1 to 15 FPS difference  (instead of 30FPS difference that exist in the above video) on footages that BOTH are well above 70-80 FPS 

On a normal gaming session you wouldnt be able to tell.. or to word my self better you wouldnt bother to try to tell because both would look equally fine to enjoy your game seamlessly.