Suggestion for next PC upgrade

Hello everyone, in the next year I want to upgrade my gaming pc. Till this day it never struggled to do anything, but I want to upgrade it because I feel it's getting old and in the future will struggle with what I want from it. I'd like to play with ray tracing on and better performance on my Valve Index.
1. Budget & Location
I think I can spend 1200-1800 € for it. I live in Italy.
2. Aim
Like I said before, I want to play with ray tracing on (maybe 4K when I upgrade my monitor) 60 to 120 FPS, and better performance on VR (Valve Index).
3. Monitors
Now I run two monitor, one Asus VG248QE 24'' FHD @120 Hz and one old Dell 1440x900 monitor. I plan on upgrading to a new pair of monitor, but I don't know any model that fit my requirements. For my primary I'd like something 2k or 4k, 120hz but only 24", cause 27" I think will be too much big. For the secondary something that has good color, full hd.
My current specs:
PC Specs
  • Case: NZXT NOCTIS 450 Black&Red
  • MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K @4.00GHz
  • Cooler: NZXT Kraken x52
  • GPU: ASUS Strix NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8Gb
  • PSU: Cooler Master G750M
  • HDD: WD Black 2 TB + WD Black 3 TB
  • SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500 GB + Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
  • Primary Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24'' FHD 144 Hz
  • Secondary Monitor: Dell 1440x900
Gaming Gear
  • Headset: Sennheiser HD598 Special Edition
  • Microphone: Razer Seiren Pro
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse: Razer Ouroboros
  • Mouse pad: Razer Goliathus Control
VR
  • Valve Index

So, what should I upgrade? I thought first to upgrade CPU and MOBO, I prefer to stay with Intel. Should I wait the 10th gen or go with the 9th? I take any suggestion.

Then I thought one the GPU, same thing, wait for the RTX 3xxx?

Then, PSU? Monitor?

I'm open to any suggestion!

11 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:
Hello everyone, in the next year I want to upgrade my gaming pc.

I'm gonna stop you right there for a minute. Do you mean some time in 2020 or in 2021? This and the goal of 60-120 FPS @4K or with RayTracing calls for Nvidia 3000 in my opinion. You get decent performance out of an 2080 Ti right now, but you'd pay 1200€ for a card that'll be outperformed by a card that costs (probably and hopefully) about the same in a couple of months. I assume RayTracing performance will be optimized as well with Ampere.

17 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:
2. Aim
Like I said before, I want to play with ray tracing on (maybe 4K when I upgrade my monitor) 60 to 120 FPS, and better performance on VR (Valve Index).

Right now if you are only gaming a 9900K(S) would be the go to. Pair that with a decent Z390 board and a 2080 Ti and we are talking ~1900€ (That's with the current prices in Germany - I'm not too familiar with pricing in Italy, probably around the same). However at 1440p and especial 4K (which you are aiming at) your CPU matters less and less - an AMD 3700X would be a great and cheaper alternative. What speed and latency is your ram? Ryzen benefits from fast ram (3200MHz and above), so you could potentially reuse your 16GB with the Ryzen build.

All in all I'd personally wait for new hardware if I was in your position.

3 minutes ago, ShinRamen said:

I'm gonna stop you right there for a minute. Do you mean some time in 2020 or in 2021? This and the goal of 60-120 FPS @4K or with RayTracing calls for Nvidia 3000 in my opinion. You get decent performance out of an 2080 Ti right now, but you'd pay 1200€ for a card that'll be outperformed by a card that costs (probably and hopefully) about the same in a couple of months. I assume RayTracing performance will be optimized as well with Ampere.

Right now if you are only gaming a 9900K(S) would be the go to. Pair that with a decent Z390 board and a 2080 Ti and we are talking ~1900€ (That's with the current prices in Germany - I'm not too familiar with pricing in Italy, probably around the same). However at 1440p and especial 4K (which you are aiming at) your CPU matters less and less - an AMD 3700X would be a great and cheaper alternative. What speed and latency is your ram? Ryzen benefits from fast ram (3200MHz and above), so you could potentially reuse your 16GB with the Ryzen build.

All in all I'd personally wait for new hardware if I was in your position.

I mean 2020, early 2021. I can wait a bit.

My RAM can go up to 3200Hz.

Unpopular opinion, I don't like AMD Ryzen, I know they're cheap, I know they're good, but EVERYONE I know has upgraded every single Ryzen they bought, 3 CPU in 3 year. I prefer Intel.

Then I'll wait. On the PSU and Monitor side? What are my choices?

7 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

I mean 2020, early 2021. I can wait a bit.

My RAM can go up to 3200Hz.

Unpopular opinion, I don't like AMD Ryzen, I know they're cheap, I know they're good, but EVERYONE I know has upgraded every single Ryzen they bought, 3 CPU in 3 year. I prefer Intel.

Then I'll wait. On the PSU and Monitor side? What are my choices?

Well new hardware will release throughout this year, so you probably just have to wait a couple of months :)

I won't try to convince you to buy Ryzen. You can read/watch all the reviews and comparisons - ultimately it's your money and your choice.

Your PSU could use an upgrade. Depending on whether you want fully modular or not I'd recommend something like Corsair RM, RMx (fully modular) or Corsair TXM Gold, CX (2017) (semi/non-modular). Here's the current PSU tier list for more information: click here

I have just basic knowledge on monitors and personally I'm an ultrawide guy. I'm not the best person to ask for advice on this front, but someone else will be able to give you some good advice on that. In my opinion 4K is not worth it for gaming.