Getting a job in tech

SkidzHD

Hey, i'm 15 and i have loved computer hardware since i was about 8. I want to become a computer hardware engineer. I am taking a Cisco IT essentials course and have my A+ certification already. Any suggestions on something else to do  that would look good on a college application and would prepare me for becoming a computer hardware engineer.

Learn code

I actually was looking into that. I'm going to buy a book on it.

I actually was looking into that. I'm going to buy a book on it.

dONT BUY A BOOK TAKE A CLASS IT SEAMS EASY TO BUY A BOOK BUT ITS WAY HARDER THEN THE CLASS

dONT BUY A BOOK TAKE A CLASS IT SEAMS EASY TO BUY A BOOK BUT ITS WAY HARDER THEN THE CLASS

Whats the best class on it? Is there a really good website?

Look for an IT college near you they usually offer courses if your in the MIDDLE of the ocean then or you cant find one then I GUESS you can order a book I got lost with the book in a matter of an hour or two.

No, just no!.... no....

I learned nothing from school and also school would just teach you things that they want to teach you unlike if you teach yourself then you'd be able to learn whatever you'd want to. I taught myself everything in relating to IT and if it wasn't for that then I wouldn't of already got a job. So this is pretty much bullshit unless you're a person who can't be self taught

No, just no!.... no....

I learned nothing from school and also school would just teach you things that they want to teach you unlike if you teach yourself then you'd be able to learn whatever you'd want to. I taught myself everything in relating to IT and if it wasn't for that then I wouldn't of already got a job. So this is pretty much bullshit unless you're a person who can't be self taught

It doesnt matter if you learn crap or not, most employers only care about that little certification you get via classes/ schooling.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

No, just no!.... no....

It might be different from country to country, university to university, and teacher to teacher. Some people (clearly you) did better with a book, while some people do better with schooling.

I agree the book is harder than the class, but W3Schools is good for the absolute most basics of basics if someone wants to get started.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

If you know somebody who is a programmer, get them to teach you or take a local class. If not, you could find online classes that teach via video chats. Seriously, you'll want somebody to be breaking that shit down for you when you don't understand. 

I'm currently studying to become a Network Engineer myself. Unfortunately I've only recently decided on this, but am half way through my AS level courses. (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) Luckily Physics alone is enough to get into College. I'd read up on what kinds of extra curricular qualifications Universities accept as legitimate. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

It doesnt matter if you learn crap or not, most employers only care about that little certification you get via classes/ schooling.

It might be different from country to country, university to university, and teacher to teacher. Some people (clearly you) did better with a book, while some people do better with schooling.

I agree the book is harder than the class, but W3Schools is good for the absolute most basics of basics if someone wants to get started.

This doesn't mean that you never should buy books though, that's just wrong. I get his point but learning from books if you believe that you can do so should be something you should go for. Just because someone says no doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it, considering that no one learns in the same way means that you should respect their choices

This doesn't mean that you never should buy books though, that's just wrong. I get his point but learning from books if you believe that you can do so should be something you should go for. Just because someone says no doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it, considering that no one learns in the same way means that you should respect their choices

I never said anything about him not buying books.. lol 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I never said anything about him not buying books.. lol 

No I just added you because I thought that your profile pic was pretty... uhmmm.... you know I don't need to say it

Hey, i'm 15 and i have loved computer hardware since i was about 8. I want to become a computer hardware engineer. I am taking a Cisco IT essentials course and have my A+ certification already. Any suggestions on something else to do  that would look good on a college application and would prepare me for becoming a computer hardware engineer.

Same here :)

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

the only thing I could say if you want to try to get into programming is look online. My old java teacher more or less told our class that when trying to figure out most things just google it. there is one guy on youtube who is great at showing you the basics of most programming languages (c++, Java, python and more) thenewboston. he will show you the basics of programming plus there is also a resource online for most programming languages.

I recall Peter Molyneaux saying in an interview in an early Amiga Power, issue 2 or 3 if I recall, that he could teach anyone to code within 2 weeks; that was when people wrote in assembly(!)

also one last piece of advice for online resources try W3schools and cplusplus.com those 2 saved my ass while I was in college

if u want to learn code go to a wabsite callled khan academy its free and there tuturials are amazing

SONG- If you like pina-colatas ME- I like them SONG- And getting caught in the rain ME- I sorta like that SONG- If your not in to yoga ME- I hate yoga SONG- Then im the love that you look for ME-  :blink:  no...

You dont want to buy a book for code, the internet is your best source when it comes to code.

Codeacademy.com for coding. Hands down.

Just to set expectations, you have to know that at 15, nobody will hire you to do tech work. At 16, you might get a job selling computers, but most chain stores and even more likely small stores will require you to be 18 to do the actual work. This is industry standard as far as geek squad, staples, office Depot, etc.

A+, unfortunately, is generally useless on its own. I definitely recommend learning to program. It's difficult at first but it completely changes the way you think, and if you get good at it, you can build programs for people.

Now, Web design, isn't coding, but it's a good way to make money as a younger teen.

Also fixing computers for relatives or friends.

I see people saying get a book, NO! go to a class.... Why not just try something out on your own? I taught myself the basics of Rainmeter coding just because I wanted to tweak things and make my own cool things. Google is your friend and theres no reason you cant use a resource like the recorded knowledge of 2000+ years of everything.

I wouldnt recommend a class, or a book. Thats my own personal style. I find its very hard to keep focused if im sat in a class and made to do things in a certian order at a certian time and I find books are just as boring. If you need something on paper to say you can do it, do a class. If you just want to better yourself, maybe try coding something that interests you?