Somehow my JDS Labs Atom can power my passive speakers???

Lmao No

I'm not sure if i should be concerned about it, but everywhere i looked i only found people saying that the JDS Labs Atom cannot power passive speakers because the RCA outputs are only for data.
Well, i doesn't seem to be the case for me. I just tried plugging into my Atom (yes, only through the rca ports) 2 small passive speakers that i have in my livingroom (they came with my stereo; i'm pretty sure they are fairly cheap) and they worked. I managed to get them to a decent volume as well, but the audio was slightly distorted (probably because of the poor quality of the cabled that would make noise when i moved them)
Is there anything wrong with this? Have i even broken anything?

19 minutes ago, Lmao No said:

I'm not sure if i should be concerned about it, but everywhere i looked i only found people saying that the JDS Labs Atom cannot power passive speakers because the RCA outputs are only for data.
Well, i doesn't seem to be the case for me. I just tried plugging into my Atom (yes, only through the rca ports) 2 small passive speakers that i have in my livingroom (they came with my stereo; i'm pretty sure they are fairly cheap) and they worked. I managed to get them to a decent volume as well, but the audio was slightly distorted (probably because of the poor quality of the cabled that would make noise when i moved them)

So you've spliced the RCA cable to connect it to the passive speakers? either way you shouldn't be doing this, yes you'll get sound out of it but you're connecting a headphone amplifier to an 8 Ohm or even 4 Ohm load, that might fry your amp depending if it has any protection against that or not.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

28 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

So you've spliced the RCA cable to connect it to the passive speakers? either way you shouldn't be doing this, yes you'll get sound out of it but you're connecting a headphone amplifier to an 8 Ohm or even 4 Ohm load, that might fry your amp depending if it has any protection against that or not.

I don't know, i only connected the speakers to the amp via their RCA cables and nothing more. The amp has RCA output and i plugged them there

Just now, Lmao No said:

I don't know, i only connected the speakers to the amp via their RCA cables and nothing more. The amp has RCA output and i plugged them there

Are you sure the speakers are passive? first time I've heard of using RCA connections to drive them, though what I said still holds true regardless of how they're wired as long as they're passive

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

8 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Are you sure the speakers are passive? first time I've heard of using RCA connections to drive them, though what I said still holds true regardless of how they're wired as long as they're passive

Yes, thats the only cable they have. A single RCA cable each. They dont seem to have the name writted anywhere, but they are from a brand named NXT and they have a 4 ohm impedance and a maximum input power of 20W. They work via RCA when connected to my stereo in the livingroom

2 hours ago, Lmao No said:

Yes, thats the only cable they have. A single RCA cable each. They dont seem to have the name writted anywhere, but they are from a brand named NXT and they have a 4 ohm impedance and a maximum input power of 20W. They work via RCA when connected to my stereo in the livingroom

The speakers are mostly likely quite efficient. I've had a silly idea similar to this before with connecting two very high sensitivity speakers to the headphone output of a headphone amplifier.

If the speakers were lets say 90dB efficient, then giving them 1 watt would make 90dB of sound, which is quite loud. 85dB will ruin your hearing after 8 hours of exposure, 90dB is roughly 2.5 - 3 hours.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

10 hours ago, Lmao No said:

What speakers cause my headphone amplifier which has about more power than the atom definitely cant do my passives curious what's is efficient enough to power them. 

49 minutes ago, rice guru said:

What speakers cause my headphone amplifier which has about more power than the atom definitely cant do my passives curious what's is efficient enough to power them. 

The speakers from a micro hifi system called TEAC MC-DX40

44 minutes ago, Lmao No said:

The speakers from a micro hifi system called TEAC MC-DX40

Ah ok makes sense so they aren't a traditional passive speaker. They are the ones used for things like iPod docks back in the late 2000s

And how is that different? Are they some other kind of speaker?

12 minutes ago, Lmao No said:

And how is that different? Are they some other kind of speaker?

I was just confused cause most passive speakers dont take RCA instead take things like these pictures. And RCA is usually just reserved for signal transmission and no sort of real power

download.jpeg

260-309_HR_0-1.jpg

I am assuming your using strictly just the speakers but if your using the whole unit and plugging it on the wall I hate to say those are active speakers

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

I am assuming your using strictly just the speakers but if your using the whole unit and plugging it on the wall I hate to say those are active speakers

Oh, so they are active... interesting

3 hours ago, Lmao No said:

Oh, so they are active... interesting

Well, the speakers are not active, they are passive but have an amplifier that goes with them in a seperate box, like this:

Image result for mini hifi system

Two passive speakers, and another box (in the middle) with the inputs, pre-amps, speaker output and of course amplifiers in it.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)