Apple issues new/old (School assignment)

Deuxez
3 hours ago, DankDeuxez said:

the Bendgate accident on the Iphone 7

Bendgate was most severe on the iphone 6 plus.

3 hours ago, DankDeuxez said:

But i need a 3rd one. Do anyone know a big issue that apple got/had?

The failing keyboards on 2016 MBPs is a good one. Crippling performance loss due to overheating in the 2015 Macbook was also a thing. More recent MBPs have a problem where the screen cable is too short so sometimes it just breaks through normal use.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

5K and sharper screens tend to involve serious kludges like combining multiple display signals.

That's not a problem with Windows, it's a problem with display cable standards (though afaik that has been solved with recent displayport versions). Apple just used a custom standard for a bit.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

That's not a problem with Windows, it's a problem with display cable standards (though afaik that has been solved with recent displayport versions). Apple just used a custom standard for a bit.

True -- it'd be fairer to say it's an issue with Windows PCs.聽 Apple's advantage is that it not only has tight hardware and software integration, but is willing to take that "fine, we'll solve this ourselves" mindset when it encounters a technical barrier.聽 See also: Lightning arriving years before USB-C.

The only advantage Apple has with their laptops are the displays, though many laptops now a days have well calibrated 1080p or 4k displays.

And people insisting Macbooks have better build quality haven't been looking at Dell's XPS line or about any Lenovo Thinkpad. The support isn't any better as Apple has the reputation for charging customers for a new motherboard, when all that failed was a single chip, or as already mentioned the display cable came loose or failed.

Edit- OP, also look into Louis Rossmann and his discussions on right to repair, which Apple lobbies against.

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Apple's advantage is that it not only has tight hardware and software integration, but is willing to take that "fine, we'll solve this ourselves" mindset when it encounters a technical barrier.

Yeah, but that also means giving up interoperability with everything else. At least when you buy a standard 5K monitor you don't have to throw it away when you change your computer. Custom solutions like this never last, and frankly I'd rather they focused more on not selling potato hardware with oversized screens. At one point they had a machine with a 4k display and a 5400rpm hard disk - talk about messed up priorities.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yeah, but that also means giving up interoperability with everything else. At least when you buy a standard 5K monitor you don't have to throw it away when you change your computer. Custom solutions like this never last, and frankly I'd rather they focused more on not selling potato hardware with oversized screens. At one point they had a machine with a 4k display and a 5400rpm hard disk - talk about messed up priorities.

It is a definite聽trade-off, and there's no doubt that Apple developed what it did as more of a way to hurry up the future than a permanent solution. I look at it this way, though: I'm sitting in front of a 5K iMac that I bought over four years ago (my config, at least, was speedy) while even the most affluent Windows users are unlikely to know what a greater-than-4K monitor looks like.

42 minutes ago, Commodus said:

while even the most affluent Windows users are unlikely to know what a greater-than-4K monitor looks like.

Personally at that point I prefer multiple 4k screens, it's cheaper and offers more working surface - the pixel density is high enough that the difference barely matters anyway. Plus you don't get wonky scaling with videos.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Personally at that point I prefer multiple 4k screens, it's cheaper and offers more working surface - the pixel density is high enough that the difference barely matters anyway. Plus you don't get wonky scaling with videos.

Cheaper in the Windows world, anyway.聽?聽I get what you mean, it's just that Apple makes the difference small enough that it can be worth it for some users.聽 Certainly if you're like me and it's more important to have as much information as possible on one screen than maximum screen area.聽 That and I can imagine it being helpful if desk space is tight and a second monitor isn't realistic.

8 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Cheaper in the Windows world, anyway.聽?

Nah, cheaper overall. Two 4k screens with a desktop with specs comparable to an iMac are a lot cheaper than said iMac.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Certainly if you're like me and it's more important to have as much information as possible on one screen than maximum screen area.

Yeah but scaling kind of throws that out the window anyway. You're probably not seeing any more text or any more windows on screen as you would with a 4k panel. Another monitor on the other hand directly double your screen space.

11 minutes ago, Commodus said:

That and I can imagine it being helpful if desk space is tight and a second monitor isn't realistic.

Well... I can't imagine a lot of situations where that's the case. Also you could mount them on a vesa stand so your desk would barely be impacted by it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 2/26/2020 at 10:10 AM, DankDeuxez said:

First of all: i dont have any problem with an apple product. This is just for school. Im currently looking for things Apple got problems with. Ive so far written about these 2 things: Price (on all of their products like apple stand xD) and the Bendgate accident on the Iphone 7. But i need a 3rd one. Do anyone know a big issue that apple got/had? (dont need any salty apple fans in the comments. We all like diffrent things ok?)

Butterfly key switches were a huge issue