What GPU to update to?

CreativeName642

Here's my current build:

Ryzen 5 3600
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3600MHz

RX 580

MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX

What should I upgrade my GPU to? My budget is $280. I'm running a 1080p 144Hz monitor currently, but I want to have room to upgrade that to a 1440p 120Hz monitor.

Games I play often:
Destiny 2
Minceraft
Borderlands 3
CS:GO

I'd stick it out with the current card you have until you can afford something like a 5700XT 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

linus has posted a video on youtube in which he compares all the best GPUs of 2019 at the different price levels.

3 minutes ago, CreativeName642 said:

Here's my current build:

Ryzen 5 3600
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3600MHz

RX 580

MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX

What should I upgrade my GPU to? My budget is $280. I'm running a 1080p 144Hz monitor currently, but I want to have room to upgrade that to a 1440p 120Hz monitor.

At best you could get a 1660 Ti, cheap RX 5700 (not XT) or 2060 (non-Super) in that price range.

Depending on what you play, those will have an increase in performance, but not too much.

When I was upgrading from my RX 580 I made a sheet of 4K gaming results and how much better each card did, so the percentages I am saying now I retrieved from there.

1660 Ti: +30% performance

2060: +50% performance

RX 5700: +70% performance

Usually you want a bit more performance extra when upgrading, especially for 1440p144Hz, where these cards mentioned above will still struggle at (depending on what you play).

An RX 5700XT or RTX 207 Super at +90% and +112% performance will probably be better options for that resolution+refresh rate combo.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Get the best GPU you are comfortable paying for.  I say this because 144 hz gaming is no joke, in fact it is more demanding then 4k60hz.  Even a 2080ti can't run Metro Exodus and RDR2 1080p at ultra settings and push the 144 fps you ideally want for 144 hz gaming and your going to be down to like probably 80 fps at 1440p.  Of course this is only true for the half dozen or so most demanding titles and setting your game settings down to High instead of Ultra works wonders but just be aware that if you looking for the best of the best graphics and 144 hz (144 fps) gaming on all games, your going to need the top GPU out there and them some. 

Honestly for most people I personally think they should focus on 1080p or 1440p 60 hz and just feel like it is a bonus when they can use the entire range of your 144 hz monitor.  That is what I have done and have been plenty satisfied with my performance.