Scanning Document Problem

ahuckphin

475178564_ToDelete_01.thumb.jpg.a4d612e608f832bb20bce3d4cecc71b6.jpgThis is what I get from my scanner at home. This is what I expect. Ignore the faint vertical white line, my scanner is quite old. 

477433735_ToDelete_02.jpg.33cfb8ea286c976a269f671e80e6a5c1.jpgThis is what I get from scanning at my college. This is not acceptable. 

photo_2020-02-24_22-53-22.jpg.27ae0495f3f8bde0803888ecd4d5cb20.jpg 

My college scanner is this. Today I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to scan documents "properly" to achieve a more desirable output. I changed almost all the settings and tried both scanning with the automatic document feeder and putting my document on the glass. One or two files outputed by my college scanner were close to my desired output but proved imposible to replicate. I am certain that my college's scanner is more than capable to fullfill my desire because I photocopied my document and the output far exceeded my expectations. Note that scan and photocopying are two different functions and I couldn't find a photocopy + save to USB option. 

1696012349_ToDelete02.thumb.jpg.5852c50bf8801dd2dde4887affc325f3.jpgThis is an output from my scanner at home scanning a piece of paper that came from a session of photocopying with my college's scanner. 

Any one has any suggestions on how I obtain a more desirable output with my college's scanner.?

I would like to resolve this problem because there are times in college when I need to scan documents and this scanner simply is faster than my scanner at home because of the automatic document feeder. 

43 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

<snip> 

Set higher DPI

Edited by SansVarnic
Avoid quoting large posts... snipping saves screen space

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

Just now, Constantin said:

Set higher DPI

I crancked the DPI to the maximum, 600, still the same crap output. 

31 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I crancked the DPI to the maximum, 600, still the same crap output. 

The problem is that the scanner applies a filter to the image,

most scanners that apply filters have to be flashed with a custom firmware in order to remove or disable the filter,it's a risky move that can brick the device.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

45 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I would like to resolve this problem because there are times in college when I need to scan documents and this scanner simply is faster than my scanner at home because of the automatic document feeder. 

I strongly suggest you take this up with the Colleges IT dept or depending what department the copy machine is located and speak to whom is in charge of the device. Have them address the issue, messing around with the settings can eventually get you in trouble, esp. if you mess something up that causes more issues.

- my 2 cents

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

As Evanair outlined, it seems the 2nd one is black/white and maximizing contrast, which under most circumstances is what is desired when the variability of materials scanned at a college is so high.

Perhaps there is a setting or a way the IT staff can change it that but without being able to go through the interface, it's hard to say.

Imo the middle one is best of all. If I would store such for later use, higher contrast is better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I agree that the home scan is probably set to grayscale or color and the college scanner is set to black and white. Check to see if you would be permitted to change the college scanner setting to gray scale or, maybe, color.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!