Intel X6 i5-9600KF based system (5.00Ghz project)

Fast_N_Curious
On 3/6/2020 at 3:54 PM, NubCak said:

Its pretty budget if you ask me, but everyone's priorities and budgets are different. 

He says he goes for cost/performance, a $300 board doesn't perform any better than the $200 board that's available, talk about contradiction.

No, you misunderstand, again. The cost / performance ratio was in the context of the CPU ONLY, not the motherboard. 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

12 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

As for the computer's work use:

-Remote IT support, lots of LogMeIn type stuff and some network administration (sonicwall stuff) 

-Remote server management via MSTSC or LMI

-I'm using ConnectWise, a web based IT management solution (not resource intensive)

-Configuring and provisioning of BDR's and NAS devices

-Documentation and procedural write-ups (i.e. instructions or "how to" guides) for specific hardware 

-Some minimal excel stuff, but word is something I use quite often

-Outlook 2019

For entertainment purposes: 

-overclocking, fine tuning and tweaking

-benchmarking

-gaming but not every day

-internet forums (computer, political, automotive, marine related)

-youtube, etc

With this kind of usage anything above 6 cores would be a waste anyway imho. You wouldn't use them anyway. Considering all your other requirements and standards, cpu choice make sense.

3 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

With this kind of usage anything above 6 cores would be a waste anyway imho. You wouldn't use them anyway. Considering all your other requirements and standards, cpu choice make sense.

Just curious, what do you use your computer for? 

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

17 minutes ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Blender, Premiere Pro, a bit of coding and some gaming also some remote IT support occasionally, but not that much these days. besides the obvious things like youtube, forums and etc. Like to do some overclocking also. I use a few different machines, depending on what I'm doing.

Tbh, Reading through this thread from the perspective of a very mildly knowledgeable, fairly new to PC building and overclocking teen, has been quite entertaining and informative. It is quite obvious there is more i need to learn but am happy to do so. also i don't get why everyone needed to start attacking you about your choice, seeing as everyone has different use cases and needs. I personally went Ryzen since for the most part the games i run are more CPU bound than GPU, and i do some light streaming/video editing. Games like Arma 3, Escape From Tarkov, Rainbow six siege, etc. Running these games on my previous 4 core Intel i5 6th gen wasn't the most playable, except for R6. The 2700x, being the newest mainstream Ryzen chip at the time, was a good choice for me. But since your tasks are different it makes sense for you to choose a different processor. Plus the build looks amazing!

16 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

unless you never close just move it to another monitor or desktop till you need again.

12 hours ago, Storm-Chaser said:

Da vinich resolve 16, coding, VMs, gaming.

all with way to many firefox tabs open. (I'm in college with lots of it being online I often sit at 10-20 tabs for just school. + another 10-20 for personal stuff)

I need more ram, 16gb isn't enough

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs