Do I Need to Go to A Driving School?

Syaoran

Need a driving school?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Need a driving school?

• Yes
    • No

I feel like I'm being treated like a baby

I've driven for a few hours around a park, I have the hang of the steering wheel and such.

The only thing I'm really going to need to practice a lot is parallel parking.

The school is charging $360 USD for 6 HOURS! I can literally upgrade my CPU or GPU with that.

I've told my dad to hold off on paying for a driving school but he insists on going to it.

Thoughts?

What's on the test:

Spoiler
  • Driving in reverse ?‍♂️
  • Stopping at appropriate signs ✅
  • Nearing corners or intersections ✅
  • Stopping smoothly ✅
  • Sitting properly ✅
  • Turning around (k turn) ?‍♂️
  • Steering properly (hand over hand method) ?️
  • Parallel parking ?️
  • Yielding to right-of-way ✅

Guide: ✅ = easy/common sense | ?‍♂️ =  haven't tried yet | ?️ = need to practice

If you feel it's expensive, I don't suppose looking for other driving schools are an option?

From personal experience, I would actually recommend a driving school if -- and only if -- the trainer runs through the driving exam route and the tested criteria with you. I liked the school that I went to because we went through the course multiple times, and I felt less anxious when exam time came around. I've heard from others that one tiny mistake on a specific part of the exam tripped them up, and the examiner failed them because of it. ?

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

In Illinois, when you turn 18, you don't need to take any classes.

Just go to the DMV and pass the written and driving exam.

Not sure about other states, but if you're confident and hold off till 18, then that's how you can obtain your license without needing to pay for special schooling.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

In Illinois, when you turn 18, you don't need to take any classes.

Just go to the DMV and pass the written and driving exam.

Not sure about other states, but if you're confident and hold off till 18, then that's how you can obtain your license without needing to pay for special schooling.

I don't think there's a driving school requirement here either.

Also, I'm old enough to drink my dude

1 minute ago, Syaoran said:

I don't think there's a driving school requirement here either.

Also, I'm old enough to drink my dude

Practice gain confidence. Need to be confident.

Get the written exam done, take the driving test and BAM! 

I think you take them separately also. Do the written one week, and the driving exam the next week or when confident to do so.

I voted no btw.

25 minutes ago, Syaoran said:

I feel like I'm being treated like a baby

I've driven for a few hours around a park, I have the hang of the steering wheel and such.

The only thing I'm really going to need to practice a lot is parallel parking.

The school is charging $360 USD for 6 HOURS! I can literally upgrade my CPU or GPU with that.

I've told my dad to hold off on paying for a driving school but he insists on going to it.

Thoughts?

What's on the test:

Reveal hidden contents
  • Driving in reverse ?‍♂️
  • Stopping at appropriate signs ✅
  • Nearing corners or intersections ✅
  • Stopping smoothly ✅
  • Sitting properly ✅
  • Turning around (k turn) ?‍♂️
  • Steering properly (hand over hand method) ?️
  • Parallel parking ?️
  • Yielding to right-of-way ✅

Guide: ✅ = easy/common sense | ?‍♂️ =  haven't tried yet | ?️ = need to practice

Depends on regulatory and insurer. But to save money on ins good to go to school, saves money on insurance.

6 hrs @ $360 is $50/hr which is totally reasonable.

I mean....instead of your dad paying $300 for driving school why wouldnt he just teach you?

For the most part driving is easy tbh. Ive been teaching my 14 year old on a straight drive beat up pickup.

In my area the school does drivers ed for free as well to get them ready for the written test.

1 minute ago, greenmax said:

Because dad teaching kid does not get reduced insurance rate.

That also depends on his insurance and area. Also the driving school he goes to. 

21 minutes ago, Eschew said:

If you feel it's expensive, I don't suppose looking for other driving schools are an option?

Yeah, there are two other schools I can look into.

22 minutes ago, Eschew said:

From personal experience, I would actually recommend a driving school if -- and only if -- the trainer runs through the driving exam route and the tested criteria with you. I liked the school that I went to because we went through the course multiple times, and I felt less anxious when exam time came around. I've heard from others that one tiny mistake on a specific part of the exam tripped them up, and the examiner failed them because of it. ?

I don't think the driving schools go through the exam route, not sure though.

15 minutes ago, greenmax said:

6 hrs @ $360 is $50/hr which is totally reasonable.

How is this reasonable?

17 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Get the written exam done, take the driving test and BAM! 

Already did the written, got it done on my 2nd try

17 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I voted no btw.

?

12 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I mean....instead of your dad paying $300 for driving school why wouldnt he just teach you?

He says he wants me to learn "the right way"

Driving school is useful but geared on practice. Most teach everything and the extras too. 

Practice with Dad or practice with driving school. Dad should know everything the instructors know, its free education.

Every day. 

The driving test at the DMV is ultra easy though. My 19 year old son just got his license. Hes autistic too. Took him 3 years to have it all right plus the confidence. But he did fail 1 time, but kept on practicing. Get 3 chances a year here in Illinois.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Practice with Dad or practice with driving school. Dad should know everything the instructors know, its free education.

Why not do driving school and allow dad to let you practice.

Also some drivers are actually stupid as fuck! Just because he is a male, doesnt mean shit, I've seen some stupid shitty drivers of all ages, all sexes, all races. Stupid is stupid period!

Most drivers will want every lane empty plus a mile between cars in order to turn.

Most drivers dont even parallel park head first, only need to back into it when its a tight squeeze.

Through lane merge's are simple and easy but most people just stop like a retard.

Just now, greenmax said:

Also some drivers are actually stupid as fuck!

Its stressful and time consuming plus fuel costs to teach your kids. Thats why a lot of parents like the school then parents dont have to deal with it.

Plus the risk of your own kid side swiping someone and calling out of work cause your car in the shop.....

But yea school is good.useful to parents for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Syaoran said:

He says he wants me to learn "the right way"

So hes basically saying that he doesnt know how to drive the right way? Lol.

4 minutes ago, greenmax said:

Also some drivers are actually stupid as fuck! Just because he is a male, doesnt mean shit, I've seen some stupid shitty drivers of all ages, all sexes, all races. Stupid is stupid period!

My man, you should try driving regularly in Malaysia. It'd be an absolute blast. /s

The people there don't yield, don't care about traffic lights, and taxis and motorcyclists have an unofficial "special license" to go zooming around wherever they like.

Thank heavens I got out of that country, hahaha.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

3 minutes ago, greenmax said:

Most drivers will want every lane empty plus a mile between cars in order to turn.

Most drivers dont even parallel park head first, only need to back into it when its a tight squeeze.

Through lane merge's are simple and easy but most people just stop like a retard.

...who brought up anything to do with gender?....

Also sounds like you live in an area with alot of shit drivers.

Why would you parallel park front first? Where are you parallel parking where you have that much room? If you have that much room its not a parallel park you are just driving into a spot.

Just now, RonnieOP said:

where you have that much room?

tons of places, especially with small or medium car sizes.

Just now, greenmax said:

tons of places, especially with small or medium car sizes.

So then you arent parallel parking you are just pulling in to a spot.

Either way they doesnt mean anything since you still need to learn how to do it the right way in case you cant just pull in.

6 minutes ago, greenmax said:

Parenting is becoming pathetic in todays day in age.

I mean you are advocating a parent paying to teach their kid something that they could easily teach themselves lol.

Seems like a pot calling the kettle black situation here 

20 minutes ago, Syaoran said:

Yeah, there are two other schools I can look into.

I don't think the driving schools go through the exam route, not sure though.

How is this reasonable?

Already did the written, got it done on my 2nd try

?

I looked up driving school prices in my area (Los Angeles), and found the prices ranged between $220 - $400 for 6hrs. It makes my stomach churn. A bummer that the driving school doesn't go through the exam route.

Also, congrats on 2nd try! ? Dunno when you'll be taking it, but good luck with the driving exam! ?

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Exams are done by qualified government agents, but I am sure the school have practice tests. There is in class schooling then there is on road driving, pay for what you want or need from insurer requirements. Remember there is a rental fee included with the onroad test, its built into the cost. Rental fee for the car, repair costs, insruance costs..... all adds up, not to mention labor time for teacher to sit, which isnt cheap neither.

7 minutes ago, Eschew said:

I looked up driving school prices in my area (Los Angeles), and found the prices ranged between $220 - $400 for 6hrs. It makes my stomach churn. A bummer that the driving school doesn't go through the exam route.

Also, congrats on 2nd try! ? Dunno when you'll be taking it, but good luck with the driving exam! ?

Thanks! ? 

The driving exam is scheduled for May currently, but I think I can reschedule it.