So I took my grandmothers laptop apart...

scaryjam823

Oh believe me I have. I have told her if she spends $800 on a laptop not only will it not have problems for a long time. It will be cheaper in the long run because it will be more powerful and last longer. But she has the mind set of if a $800 laptop lasts 5 years, she would rather buy two $400 laptops instead. I gave her the example of my dell laptop. Had it for 4 years, spent $1200 on it and haven't had a single problem out of it yet. Not even a hard drive has failed. But she just doesn't get it, it doesn't help she is starting to has early onset alzheimers either.

Ah sorry to hear that mate. Well I believe that is to do with generations. They are use to repair stuff. But for us is in a lot of times easy just to junk it and buy a new component or such. It aplies to a lot of non tech people, they just can´t understand the idea :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

They had too much thermal paste and would probably cause it to have poor cooling efficiency. But laptops like these aren't suitable for long periods of heavy load so I guess they didn't really care. Tried overclocking and folding and my cpu was like 90C on my laptop. Guess some day I would need to replace my thermal paste.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Ah sorry to hear that mate. Well I believe that is to do with generations. They are use to repair stuff. But for us is in a lot of times easy just to junk it and buy a new component or such. It aplies to a lot of non tech people, they just can´t understand the idea :)

Not only easier but cheaper. But you're right it is, I'm use to it though. Tried for over a decade to convince her otherwise but no avail. I'll just keep fixing stuff for her for free. :)

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

They had too much thermal paste and would probably cause it to have poor cooling efficiency. But laptops like these aren't suitable for long periods of heavy load so I guess they didn't really care. Tried overclocking and folding and my cpu was like 90C on my laptop. Guess some day I would need to replace my thermal paste.

I can't replace the thermal paste (pad, in reality), since there's too much of a gap. And it relies on a large metal plate under the keyboard to disperse heat, and a little bit of flow from the fan sucking air by it (the fan cools the chipset).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Do that, it does wonders sometimes :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

That's how this is, hard as a rock.

Yeah. Before I did that when I was running Throttlestop, I not only had the throttling off, but I had the overheat protection off too. It shut down when I was using it and I looked in the BIOS thermal logs. It hit 260F (127C) before it shut down. It didn't simply turn off either, it actually closed my game and shut down as if I pressed the power button. Still works without any issues.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245