Cant backup C drive Volume is locked by another application

Hello, iv tried various programs to try and backup my c drive but i keep getting similar errors saying volume is locked or being used by another application. I've tried running backups in safe mode as well as closing all background tasks i can but still get this error. checked the drive and no errors were found.

looking for a solution that allows me to find what application is holding my c drive hostage and keeping me from being able to back it up. PLEASE HELP!

7 minutes ago, vWORMHAT said:
Hello, iv tried various programs to try and backup my c drive but i keep getting similar errors saying volume is locked or being used by another application. I've tried running backups in safe mode as well as closing all background tasks i can but still get this error. checked the drive and no errors were found.

looking for a solution that allows me to find what application is holding my c drive hostage and keeping me from being able to back it up. PLEASE HELP!

https://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Free-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html

This program will "COPY" outside of Windows environment so no files are in use when doing a copy.

EYES ON THE SETUP - Don't just hit next next next...
Be mindful of setups that install other programs...

However.....I use this for Migrating HDD to SSD and its NEVER once let me down.
Copy, Reboot, Set new Boot drive, Works.

But you could use it to backup copy a drive or set of partitions.
As for file to file backups.... I don't know.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

would this exclude programs? ill do that if i have to and appreciate the advice! I really want a full backup including all my programs and their data

5 minutes ago, vWORMHAT said:

would this exclude programs? ill do that if i have to and appreciate the advice! I really want a full backup including all my programs and their data

I always backed up (COPY DRIVE) to another drive.... never a particular folder like typical backup programs.
I've always used another drive. (it's a 1:1 copy) so you can go through manually afterwards and disregard what you don't want, or leave as a 1:1 clone including every folder.

I'm guessing you want a 1:1 copy.
So in this program you'd use the COPY button and select target drive (the copy) and then it'll do the rest, inc partitions (Windows Recovery+C:\)
882003643_Annotation2020-02-23133221.thumb.jpg.01640c67f816dbd70d3d188ba60be44a.jpg

Annotation 2020-02-23 133221.jpg

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I always backed up (COPY DRIVE) to another drive.... never a particular folder like typical backup programs.
I've always used another drive. (it's a 1:1 copy) so you can go through manually afterwards and disregard what you don't want, or leave as a 1:1 clone including every folder.

I'm guessing you want a 1:1 copy.
So in this program you'd use the COPY button and select target drive (the copy) and then it'll do the rest, inc partitions (Windows Recovery+C:\)
882003643_Annotation2020-02-23133221.thumb.jpg.01640c67f816dbd70d3d188ba60be44a.jpg

Annotation 2020-02-23 133221.jpg

just did this but it seems it was unable to backup the c drive :/ but got everything else.

disabled all startup applications, deleted antivirus just in case that was getting in the way.

Screenshot (589).png

5 minutes ago, vWORMHAT said:

just did this but it seems it was unable to backup the c drive :/ but got everything else.

disabled all startup applications, deleted antivirus just in case that was getting in the way.

Screenshot (589).png

It may not let you do a copy to a drive that has data on it already. Or may in fact want a clean unformatted/formatted drive.

So if you say had a 2tb with stuff in it.

Set aside (make a partition) of needed size (copying 500gb for example, make a partition 501gb)

And copy to that clean parttition.

I hope that made some sense...

21 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

It may not let you do a copy to a drive that has data on it already. Or may in fact want a clean unformatted/formatted drive.

So if you say had a 2tb with stuff in it.

Set aside (make a partition) of needed size (copying 500gb for example, make a partition 501gb)

And copy to that clean parttition.

I hope that made some sense...

i have to get to bed but ill try that tomorrow, before it copies the data it re partition the drive and i thought it was a blank already but i could be wrong.

just tried backing up the c drive only in safe mode and i have no clue what is holding on to this drive

attached are screen shots of task manager tabs when in safemode after trying to backup unsuccessfully 

Screenshot (598).png

Screenshot (597).png

Screenshot (596).png

Screenshot (595).png

Screenshot (594).png

Screenshot (593).png

Screenshot (592).png

Screenshot (591).png

Screenshot (590).png

I've never used Paragon Backup software before....
I can't really help on that one... /sorry

4 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I've never used Paragon Backup software before....
I can't really help on that one... /sorry

It's not just that software, its all of them, veeam, minitool shadow copy,  minitool partition

6 minutes ago, vWORMHAT said:

It's not just that software, its all of them, veeam, minitool shadow copy,  minitool partition

Thing is.... when I use the software I mentioned in my first post (copy c:\ to another drive method), it tells me its going to restart the PC due to files in use (C: being copied), and do it all before Windows opens on the next boot.
And it does.

So I don't know why its not doing it.

11 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Thing is.... when I use the software I mentioned in my first post (copy c:\ to another drive method), it tells me its going to restart the PC due to files in use (C: being copied), and do it all before Windows opens on the next boot.
And it does.

I see, thank you for the advice I’ll keep trying

On 2/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, SkilledRebuilds said:

And it does.

May have fixed the error with Macrium Reflect Free which is currently cloning the drive with these instructions if anyone ever needs to know https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/VSS+Error+0x8000ffff+Backup+aborted!+-+Failed+To+Create+Volume+Snapshot