Disk Read Error, Unable to Boot

So I’ve been trying to load a copy of windows onto an older system. When attempting to boot, the system recognizes both my hard drive and the USB, but it spits out “disk read error” and prompts me to reattempt. I tried switching up the boot order but nothing is working. Just looking for some tips or techniques. The attachment is a video of the boot process right before it spits out the error. Thanks ahead of time ??

For some reason your vid is "Invisible", at least to my machine so I can't see it - But I can hear it at least.

Some older setups (Board related) prefer an OS install from a disk drive rather than a USB drive.

It's also known some older setups will only do installs to an older IDE drive rather than to a SATA drive, this not being an issue with the source (OS install) drive including an USB thumbdrive with an OS install.

If you have a disk drive and a copy of the OS burned onto a disk I'd try that and see if the error goes away when the install routine starts.

Next, I'd check the thumbdrive itself for a bad/corrupted image or drive errors. If both potential problems show as OK, the I'd try it again just to confirm this as the issue.

BTW if it wants to install with a disk drive I'd just do it that way and be done with it instead of chasing the problem after you got the OS installed. Out of curiosity I'd check on it afterwards but no further if all else goes well.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:48 AM, Beerzerker said:

For some reason your vid is "Invisible", at least to my machine so I can't see it - But I can hear it at least.

Some older setups (Board related) prefer an OS install from a disk drive rather than a USB drive.

It's also known some older setups will only do installs to an older IDE drive rather than to a SATA drive, this not being an issue with the source (OS install) drive including an USB thumbdrive with an OS install.

If you have a disk drive and a copy of the OS burned onto a disk I'd try that and see if the error goes away when the install routine starts.

Next, I'd check the thumbdrive itself for a bad/corrupted image or drive errors. If both potential problems show as OK, the I'd try it again just to confirm this as the issue.

BTW if it wants to install with a disk drive I'd just do it that way and be done with it instead of chasing the problem after you got the OS installed. Out of curiosity I'd check on it afterwards but no further if all else goes well.

Thanks for your help! Lol it turns out all I needed to do was expand the iso file with rufus software and it was good to go!??