PSU recommendation for SFF build

The_russian
Go to solution Solved by IrishJ,
42 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I am currently trying to build a pc in an original xbox case that I got from a broken xbox. My current specs are:

CPU: i5-9600k

Motherboard: Asrock Z370 Fatal1ty ITX

Ram: 2x8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i

Graphics Card: Zotac GTX 1080 Mini

SSD: 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

Because of the case constraints a SFX PSU will not fit. I was planning to use a 400W HDPlex PSU, but they are currently out of stock so I am looking for other options. I measured it out and I should be able to fit a standard flex ATX PSU in the case with dimensions of 150mm (L) × 81.5 mm (W) × 40.5mm (H). My questions are: 1) What wattage do I need to power this build? 2) Any recommendations for PSUs? If you need more information don't hesitate to ask.

If I'd be you I'd just wait until they have it in stock again. USA : "Sold Out ETA March 15th"~

I am currently trying to build a pc in an original xbox case that I got from a broken xbox. My current specs are:

Because of the case constraints a SFX PSU will not fit. I was planning to use a 400W HDPlex PSU, but they are currently out of stock so I am looking for other options. I measured it out and I should be able to fit a standard flex ATX PSU in the case with dimensions of 150mm (L) × 81.5 mm (W) × 40.5mm (H). My questions are: 1) What wattage do I need to power this build? 2) Any recommendations for PSUs? If you need more information don't hesitate to ask.

38 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I put your specs into the seasonic wattage calculator and it calculated a load wattage of 382W. I would say you should target a 500-550W PSU or better. 

I have no experience with SFF builds, I think corsair makes a good lineup. You can also check out our community PSU Tier List  for suggestions on PSU's  

i7-8700k @ 4.8Ghz | EVGA CLC 280mm | Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 | 16GB G-Skill DDR4-3000 C15 | EVGA RTX 2080 | Corsair RM650x | NZXT S340 Elite | Zowie XL2730 

42 minutes ago, The_russian said:

If I'd be you I'd just wait until they have it in stock again. USA : "Sold Out ETA March 15th"~

1 hour ago, The_russian said:

What wattage do I need to power this build?

550W will be more than enough. Of course, there's nothing to stop you from going higher.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

11 hours ago, AntiTrust said:

I have no experience with SFF builds, I think corsair makes a good lineup. You can also check out our community PSU Tier List  for suggestions on PSU's  

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately, a SFX psu will not fit, and I don't think corsair makes any flex ATX PSUs. I also did take a look at the tier list, but I didn't see any flex ATX PSUs on the list.

11 hours ago, IrishJ said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I was just wondering if there were other options out there. If not, I'll just wait for the HDPlex to be back in stock, not a big deal.

Share any interests with me? Feel free to message me just to chit chat about whatever. 

(Music) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, Boy Harsher, The Smiths, Drab Majesty, Chelsea Wolfe, Carly Rae Jepsen, The Smashing Pumpkins, Virgin Prunes, Sky Ferreira, London After Midnight, Jonathan Coulton, Alvvays, Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Anna Von Hausswolff, Joy Division, Sisters of Mercy, She Wants Revenge, The Frozen Autumn, My Bloody Valentine, Type O Negative, The Birthday Party, Leonard Cohen, Switchblade Symphony, Metallica, Creedance Clearwater Revival, Eagles, Elton John, Billy Joel.

(Games) PUBG, Metro Series, Command and Conquer games, Warhammer 40,000 games, Company of Heroes (2), RDR2, CoD4

(Other) Going to the goth club, Firearms, Building PCs (Especially budget PC builds), Playing instruments (Guitar, Piano APP for PC, Otamatone, Trombone) Camping, Board Games

10 minutes ago, BarackOBatman said:

Thanks for the suggestion, it does look like it would fit and that the wattage should be sufficient, but I am a little concerned that the PCIe power cable on that PSU is only a 6pin, while my graphics card has an 8 pin connector. Would it be fine to use it, or should I look for a PSU with an 8 pin cable?

Sometimes graphics cards with an 8pin connector work fine if you connect a 6pin cable to them, but this is not always the case. You might find out it does need a full 8pin cable after all.

I was going to suggest searching for FSP500-501UN (this is the PSU that comes in the EVGA Hadron case), but turns out it's 22cm long, which appears to be too long for you...