Realtek vs Intel networking.

Windows95

Im trying to decide between Aorus Pro x570 and ASUS TUF gaming:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-rev-1x/sp#sp

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/

They seem both to have what i wanted. But my remaining question is, should I trust Intel with the network stuff? They are known in adding spyware everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they spy on your data when you plug a cable there. Im not interested in wifi, so that is why those have no wifi, but still, anything Intel I like to avoid like the plague, I don't trust the weasels. Could Intel rj45 cable plugs have some sort of spying bussiness?

Not gonna lie that's some real tinfoil-hattery. Believe me if Intel was installing spyware in their NICs the Internet would tear them a new a**hole. They're already in hot water over all their CPU vulnerabilities.

Generally from what I've been told and experienced  Intel NICs are "superior" (open to dispute) to Realtek. I've heard many people have trouble with RealTek in the past, myself included (back in the XP/Win7 days) while Intel was just plug'n'play. They're better supported on Windows with I imagine more advanced features.

But if it worries you that much you can opt for RealTek. I have not heard complaints in recent years.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Not gonna lie that's some real tinfoil-hattery. Believe me if Intel was installing spyware in their NICs the Internet would tear them a new a**hole. They're already in hot water over all their CPU vulnerabilities.

Generally from what I've been told and experienced  Intel NICs are "superior" (open to dispute) to Realtek. I've heard many people have trouble with RealTek in the past, myself included (back in the XP/Win7 days) while Intel was just plug'n'play. They're better supported on Windows with I imagine more advanced features.

But if it worries you that much you can opt for RealTek. I have not heard complaints in recent years.

Well, people said CPU spying was tinfoil hattery before the clusterfuck ensued

3 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

Well, people said CPU spying was tinfoil hattery before the clusterfuck ensued

I'd be more worried about Windows Telemetry than a hardware level spying device. Unless you're using GNU/Linux or MacOS I think your concern is mis-placed. Windows 10 is still basically one giant walking spyware system.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I'd be more worried about Windows Telemetry than a hardware level spying device. Unless you're using GNU/Linux or MacOS I think your concern is mis-placed. Windows 10 is still basically one giant walking spyware system.

yeah win10 is a joke

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

but it apparently plays a role tho:

So ME only works with intel NIC that we know

Maybe since this is AMD CPU but Intel NIC it doesn't matter (assuming PSP didn't team up with Intel to make the PSP work with Intel NIC)

Anyway, I think GB board is an overall better board, this may not matter that much, like you said with Win10 is assumed you are spyed on 24 7.

4 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

yeah win10 is a joke

Well, the point still remains if you're that worried about it you can get the board with the Realtek NIC. Alternatively you can disable the onboard NIC and install a Realtek.

3 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

like you said with Win10 is assumed you are spyed on 24 7.

I've never ran WireShark on the network and checked how frequently Windows phones home with telemetry data so I can't say it's 24/7.

People who prefer their devices to work and their drivers to not act up etc etc tend to go with intel. If you are concerned with being spied on via network card just use a firewall and monitor traffic. I doubt you will find anything.

I would also question what you will run on it. If you're going to say Windows I am out of here because that would be double standards at its finest.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

10 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

People who prefer their devices to work and their drivers to not act up etc etc tend to go with into. If you are concerned with being spied on. via network card just use a firewall and monitor traffic. I doubt you will find anything.

I would also question what you will run on it. If you're going to say windows I am out of here because that would be double standards at its finest.

windows 10 lmao, honestly its a media edition and gaming computer, i dont care that much, but still, when im in the market for something, i consider everything, and that was just another factor when deciding either reatelk or intel. nontheless, spying on the hardware level is insanity, why not avoid it when possible

25 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Well, the point still remains if you're that worried about it you can get the board with the Realtek NIC. Alternatively you can disable the onboard NIC and install a Realtek.

I've never ran WireShark on the network and checked how frequently Windows phones home with telemetry data so I can't say it's 24/7.

good read here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15444914

The Intel chipsets have some better compatibility with crap like hypervisors.  User space wise they'll likely provide a synonymous experience, although Realtek traditionally have been on the lower end of quality.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

If you're gonna use that PC just for general stuff like browsing and gaming, I honestly don't think it doesn't matter whether you choose intel or realtek.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

1 hour ago, beersykins said:

The Intel chipsets have some better compatibility with crap like hypervisors.  User space wise they'll likely provide a synonymous experience, although Realtek traditionally have been on the lower end of quality.

I've always found maximum real-world throughput is higher with Intel than Realtek.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

14 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I've always found maximum real-world throughput is higher with Intel than Realtek.

I think I tried like once to import the Realtek driver over into ESXi and then said eff it :P

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

12 hours ago, beersykins said:

I think I tried like once to import the Realtek driver over into ESXi and then said eff it :P

Really annoyed with them about their USB 2.5Gbit chipset right now, they cheaped out and stopped developing the Linux driver in favour of using the default Linux USB/IP driver.  Problem is, as that driver is generic it doesn't support jumbo frames and spams the syslog with link up/down messages.

Intel on the other hand contribute to the Linux drivers. (although I have heard their code can be pretty crap and need a lot of work before its accepted)

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7