Advice before buying my first mechanical keyboard

Andrew48

Ok so I am looking into buying a new keyboard because my wireless logitech one is giving me a hard time typing or gaming. 

Because I live in greece, I dont have that many options as some of you may have, and my biggest problem right now is the switch type. I can only find keyboards with MX blues,reds and browns. I know that its all about preference but unfortunately I cant try any mechanical keyboard from where I live. I have only tried the razer black widow once at a store but didnt actually typed on it, just pressed the switch and it felt really good! 

I want it to be fully back-lit, relatively quiet and I am going to be using it for FPS gaming as well as light typing.  

The options I have:

1) Cooler-Master CM storm Quickfire TK

2) Razer Black widow 2013

3) Roccat Ryos MK

4) Cooler-master Trigger-Z

5) Corsair Vengeance K60

6) Logitech G710+

7) Corsair Vengeance K70

Thanks!

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

id go with blues for light typing and gaming 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I would go with the K70 in reds for gaming. Blues come on the keyboard you tried so you may want those. The K70 is a solid keyboard, and solid I mean physically solid. Really nice keyboard. I had an MX Blue board but the noise drove me absolutely insane. Though you might like it. My recommendation is to go to the store and try them, or get cooler masters switch tester thingy.

If you have the money I would recommend the K70 with blues. Very nice keyboard.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 with Cherry MX Browns (That is what i have) / if you can wait a full RGB Backligth from Corsair with Cherry MX Browns

id go with blues for light typing and gaming 

But why?

I would go with the K70 in reds for gaming. Blues come on the keyboard you tried so you may want those. The K70 is a solid keyboard, and solid I mean physically solid. Really nice keyboard. I had an MX Blue board but the noise drove me absolutely insane. Though you might like it. My recommendation is to go to the store and try them, or get cooler masters switch tester thingy.

Thats the problem. None of the shops around here have mechanical keyboards  :(

If you have the money I would recommend the K70 with blues. Very nice keyboard.

I can only find it with reds

First option with red`s switches because are the best for gaming and this type of switches makes the less noise and are the easiest to press.

Get the Storm, with blues or browns, browns are a little mushier and are quiter

Actually I was going to buy the cm quickfire tk but I wanted to ask you guys over here. 

Now after seeing youtube videos about mx switches for over a week, I am leaning towards mx blues and browns. I think that reds have a more smooth and kinda boring feel to them. I mean a mechanical keyboard is supposed to give you a mechanic sound when clicking. (dont know how to explain it better) Correct me if I am wrong. Can someone with experience explain how the browns differ from the blues based on the feeling of them? I know blues make a more clicky noise but how do they feel?

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Ducky Shine 3 with Cherry MX Browns (That is what i have) / if you can wait a full RGB Backligth from Corsair with Cherry MX Browns

You didnt read my whole post did you..?

These are really all your options? The fuck... 

Living in greece is hard  -_-

Do you have any friends that have mech keyboards, you could try theirs to maybe get a better idea of if you like it or not.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Do you have any friends that have mech keyboards, you could try theirs to maybe get a better idea of if you like it or not.

Nope. My friends all use membrane keyboards. I have a friend that has the blackwidow but he lives in the other side of the country so I cant try it unfortunately :( 

I will have to buy one based on peoples experience.

You really need to see this video made by Mr. Linus :D 

Yes I have already seen this video and made me lean towards brown and blue switches. Still not fully sure. 

Let me tell you this, I have the CM Storm Trigger with black`s switches and when I am on the forums typing is good, I love it but gaming (fps mostly) after 1 hour my pinkie finger hurts so you can have that in mind.

So that means that blacks are a little bit hard right? Do you feel any type of CLICK while pressing it or only when you bottom it down? is it really smooth? 

I think I will go with MX browns. If I am correct, Browns have a click on them(you can feel it), are quieter than the blues and are lighter to press than blues or blacks.  So something between blues and reds. 

Also I read somewhere that browns feel like membrane keys is that correct? I hope its not ..

I'd go for the Logitech G710+ or CM Storm Quickfire TK with MX Browns. If you end up getting the Logitech G710+, I recommend removing the O-rings on it. I just did with mine, and it feels slightly more mechanical, and better to type on, although it makes a bit more noise. You don't need a special tool to remove the keycaps, but it makes it easier. I removed all of them with just my fingers, but I used my dads medical tweezers to remove the O-rings inside, as my fingers are too fat, hehe. 

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

I'd go for the Logitech G710+ or CM Storm Quickfire TK with MX Browns. If you end up getting the Logitech G710+, I recommend removing the O-rings on it. I just did with mine, and it feels slightly more mechanical, and better to type on, although it makes a bit more noise. You don't need a special tool to remove the keycaps, but it makes it easier. I removed all of them with just my fingers, but I used my dads medical tweezers to remove the O-rings inside, as my fingers are too fat, hehe. 

I prefer the CM storm one because I am used to having a small keyboard. 

No, browns are as heavy like the blacks but you can feel the actuation point.  

If you like that click, get blues.

If you don`t like that click noise get browns.

If you game a lot, get red`s.

I like the click on them. I think I will go with blues then because they sound and feel mechanical (Browns do as I thought)

I game (not much but I do) so I dont think blues will cause any problems.

Also the CM Storm Quickfire TK with blue switches is sooooo sexy!!

But why?

Thats the problem. None of the shops around here have mechanical keyboards  :(

I can only find it with reds

Actually I was going to buy the cm quickfire tk but I wanted to ask you guys over here. 

Now after seeing youtube videos about mx switches for over a week, I am leaning towards mx blues and browns. I think that reds have a more smooth and kinda boring feel to them. I mean a mechanical keyboard is supposed to give you a mechanic sound when clicking. (dont know how to explain it better) Correct me if I am wrong. Can someone with experience explain how the browns differ from the blues based on the feeling of them? I know blues make a more clicky noise but how do they feel?

Ok this is MY opinion on reds. I tried them out and for me they didn't feel that different from my old roccat arvo, which is a membrane keyboard. So I stepped away from those.

Browns felt really nice, but I wanted that clicky noise. I use blues at the moment for about 80% gaming and 20% typing and I love them.

Blacks feel like reds almost, with the difference that they really do take alot of force to press.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Ok this is MY opinion on reds. I tried them out and for me they didn't feel that different from my old roccat arvo, which is a membrane keyboard. So I stepped away from those.

Browns felt really nice, but I wanted that clicky noise. I use blues at the moment for about 80% gaming and 20% typing and I love them.

Blacks feel like reds almost, with the difference that they really do take alot of force to press.

Exactly what I was thinking reds will feel like.

Decision made:

I will go with blues! :)

Exactly what I was thinking reds will feel like.

Decision made:

I will go with blues! :)

If you only can get the K70 with reds, I can recommend the CM Storm Quickfire TK, if you can get this with blues. I have the CM Storm Ultimate, but they are pretty much the same, except that it of course is a full-size keyboard. Really nice build quality and pretty bright backlighting.

Also it has the standard additional features like media keys, windows lock and adjusting the backlight mode/brightness.

If you only can get the K70 with reds, I can recommend the CM Storm Quickfire TK, if you can get this with blues. I have the CM Storm Ultimate, but they are pretty much the same, except that it of course is a full-size keyboard. Really nice build quality and pretty bright backlighting.

Yep I can only find the k70 with reds, so I will go with the Storm quickfire TK with blues

I just bought the cm storm quickfire TK with cherry mx brown and a white body, it really feels good,overall build quality is awesome. It has a numpad with all the "home, page down,up layout and still maintaining the 10 keyless length,really good in my opinion. The brown is slightly quieter than the blues without the click. It really feels good when you type and game on it. 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

QF TK Brown user right here and all I can say is that I am more then happy with it! compact size but fullsize functionality! Build quality is also awesome!

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

Most people would suggest MX reds for gaming due to the light activation force needed as well as a lack of tactile feedback. However, if it is for both everyday use and gaming, I suggest the MX browns, which have a distinct click which can be useful for gaming but also making typing easier,

cjsun9

cjsun9

I just bought the cm storm quickfire TK with cherry mx brown and a white body, it really feels good,overall build quality is awesome. It has a numpad with all the "home, page down,up layout and still maintaining the 10 keyless length,really good in my opinion. The brown is slightly quieter than the blues without the click. It really feels good when you type and game on it. 

QF TK Brown user right here and all I can say is that I am more then happy with it! compact size but fullsize functionality! Build quality is also awesome!

Most people would suggest MX reds for gaming due to the light activation force needed as well as a lack of tactile feedback. However, if it is for both everyday use and gaming, I suggest the MX browns, which have a distinct click which can be useful for gaming but also making typing easier,

cjsun9

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I bought the the one with mx blues because they feel and sound soo good and with the blue backlight it looks sexy. If I dont like it after some time I will be able to sell it to buy one with mx browns ;)

This video explains all.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

This video explains all.

this video is one of the reasons I went with blues :D