How can i read nas hdd?

So, i have a wd nas from like 9 years ago at home. it's a white one, dual bay from WD. But after 9 years of service, it broke. I have a backup from 12 hours before the crash but i need one file that is on there that isn't backed up. I took one of the drives and connected it my pc with a sata to usb connector and the disk shows up in diskpart. But not in file explorer, why is this? Is there a way to access these files when the disk isn't installed in the nas?

1 minute ago, Vincent Coucke said:

But not in file explorer, why is this? Is there a way to access these files when the disk isn't installed in the nas?

Depends entirely on what filesystem the NAS used. If it used a filesystem that Windows doesn't support -- which it seems like is the case -- then you'll need to try with some other OS. Ubuntu Linux, for example, is always a good choice and can be run directly from a USB-stick.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Also... another question, was this 2 disk nas operating using RAID 0? if thats the case your data is bye bye...if it was RAID 1 the data should be salvageable.

3 hours ago, BloodKnight7 said:

Also... another question, was this 2 disk nas operating using RAID 0? if thats the case your data is bye bye...if it was RAID 1 the data should be salvageable.

It's raid1 luckily... 

18 hours ago, Vincent Coucke said:

It's raid1 luckily... 

What brand was your NAS? I would use a Linux Live CD to recover your info, but if you give me more details I can walk you through doing it in windows in case you dont feel comfortable with Linux.

Most of these WD drives use a linux OS and a linux filesystem like XFS or EXT3.

A decent linux live CD/USB should be able to read it just fine. You may have to manually mount the array though.