Just ordered Fios, what to expect?

Muleworx

Hello All,

I just ordered Verizon Fios for my new to me home. For now I went with the 100mbps speed and I will be using my own router. I am curious on how the service will be installed? Since it is Fios would they be using the ONT(Ethernet cable) or a coaxial cable? I still need to find a compatible router as well. 

Thank you 

Ryan

If there isn't one yet, they would install a Fios box where it's most convenient (depends on where the fiber line enters your house) and they would then run a coaxial cable to the modem. At least that's what they did in my house. YMMV.

24 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

If there isn't one yet, they would install a Fios box where it's most convenient (depends on where the fiber line enters your house) and they would then run a coaxial cable to the modem. At least that's what they did in my house. YMMV.

Thanks! thats what I as afraid of...they would use coaxial cable to the modem.

2 hours ago, Muleworx said:

Since it is Fios would they be using the ONT(Ethernet cable) or a coaxial cable? I still need to find a compatible router as well. 

That depends. Internet speeds over 100 Mbps I heard they run Ethernet. If you have TV service then they will have to use Coax. That being said, FIOS doesnt really have a modem per say. They have the ONT which is the box that converts the Fiber to Ethernet and Coax and then you have a special Moca router. If you using Coax, the Moca router can only be purchased from Verizon, because no other provider uses this. So you cant buy a compatible router on the open market. I have heard of people using Moca adapters and a standard router, but this is not really a supported thing, so it may or may not work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I think I am going to use the rental router from them for a month or so and then figure out what my options are and push for ONT since i will be internet only.

Thank you everyone!