How to enable IPv6

Jae Tee
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

It says you don't have an IPv6 from your ISP. That's something you'd have to discuss with them.

Can anyone help me out with my Netgear Nighthawk router? It says IPv6 is unavailable. Is that my ISP's fault, or do I need to do something funny?

20200219_140606.jpg

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

It says you don't have an IPv6 from your ISP. That's something you'd have to discuss with them.

As far as I am aware, unless you are trying to get to some weird IPv6 only website or service, there is no need for IPv6 (yet).

14 minutes ago, Scheer said:

As far as I am aware, unless you are trying to get to some weird IPv6 only website or service, there is no need for IPv6 (yet).

There is no need yet, but we should dual stack when possible

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I REALLY wan't to switch ISP's. Optimum were i'm at SUCKS.

2 hours ago, Scheer said:

On XBOX there are slight TANGIBLE benefits to using v6 vs. v4.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

17 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

On XBOX there are slight TANGIBLE benefits to using v6 vs. v4.

Hadn't considered that, NAT has always been a royal PITA on Xbox, but I wonder how that works with p2p matchmaking since most people are still IPv4, would it only match you with others who have IPv6?

Just now, Scheer said:

Hadn't considered that, NAT has always been a royal PITA on Xbox, but I wonder how that works with p2p matchmaking since most people are still IPv4, would it only match you with others who have IPv6?

I plan on using it with the console companion app to play off of and stream on PC, so yeah pretty usefull.

3 minutes ago, Jae Tee said:

I plan on using it with the console companion app to play off of and stream on PC, so yeah pretty usefull.

I'm pretty sure all of that happens locally, so if you really want IPv6 for that just turn on your IPv6 DHCP server in your router, you don't need ISP support for local IPv6. There should be an option in setup for IPv6 DHCP, its usually on the same page as the IPv4 DHCP settings.

If you have a link to who said IPv6 would have a tangible benefit for that use case, can you please link it? I really don't see how IPv6 could help in this case at all, but enjoy learning new things. I know there were a lot of rumors about how IPv6 was going to lower latency, but nearly every test I've seen shows little to no difference, and when you get sub millisecond latency on IPv4 LAN anyways I doubt even specialized equipment could record a difference.

21 minutes ago, Scheer said:

I'm pretty sure all of that happens locally, so if you really want IPv6 for that just turn on your IPv6 DHCP server in your router, you don't need ISP support for local IPv6. There should be an option in setup for IPv6 DHCP, its usually on the same page as the IPv4 DHCP settings.

If you have a link to who said IPv6 would have a tangible benefit for that use case, can you please link it? I really don't see how IPv6 could help in this case at all, but enjoy learning new things. I know there were a lot of rumors about how IPv6 was going to lower latency, but nearly every test I've seen shows little to no difference, and when you get sub millisecond latency on IPv4 LAN anyways I doubt even specialized equipment could record a difference.

I will look in to IPv6 DHCP, since that technically will solve all my problems, though i'm not sure HOW to enable it. 

As for my claimed benefit, I can give you a screen-shot later, but it was saying something about not needing a certain directory(?) or some thing. I'll let you know later.

1 hour ago, Jae Tee said:

I will look in to IPv6 DHCP, since that technically will solve all my problems, though i'm not sure HOW to enable it. 

As for my claimed benefit, I can give you a screen-shot later, but it was saying something about not needing a certain directory(?) or some thing. I'll let you know later.

I assumed it would be on this page, but I can't find a single Netgear screenshot or KB page saying anything about having a IPv6 DHCP server:

Image result for setup dhcp netgear

I assumed it would be like this, but from what I can find the vast majority of consumer routers don't have it:

Image result for dhcp ipv6 server router

May just try setting static IPv6 address on both machines and see if they directly communicate, but pry a long shot... Or you can setup a DHCPv6 server on your computer, likely going to be a headache tho.

3 hours ago, Jae Tee said:

I REALLY wan't to switch ISP's. Optimum were i'm at SUCKS.

You'll have to do some research as to what ISP's are available in your area.

6 hours ago, Jae Tee said:

It says IPv6 is unavailable. Is that my ISP's fault, or do I need to do something funny?

IPv6 is a shit show. Its only been out for 20 years but yeah, most ISP's dont have it yet.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.