Raspberry Pi 3b+ Access point help *Solved*

savorok

So i am trying to setup a rpi3 b+ as a wireless access point in my room with pi-hole on it. 

I have an ethernet cable from my switch to to pi and have set a static ip for the pi.

ive tried a few differnt tutorials and none of them seem to work and always end up with either the wireless not showing up or the pi crashing and me being unable to ssh into it anymore.

ill go through the tutorials that wouldnt work for me and say where they went wrong just to see if anyone can pick up on somthing im missing or have done wrong(I assume im screwing it up somwhere as this is my first time doing anysort of project with a rpi) 

1st method:

the main tutorial im trying to follow is this one:https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/access-point.md#internet-sharing

Im only trying to set up the bridge as i dont really care about acting as a router as long as i can get the internet on it ill be happy. 

The problem seems to occur when im connecting the network ports around here: 

sudo brctl addif br0 eth0

after this the ssh terminal crashes and i cant ssh back into the pi.I also tried pinging it from cmd but i just get destination host unreachable.

my best guess to this happening is somthing to do with that eth0 command. could it be dissabling it from accessing the network after i run this command?

2nd method

After the first one didnt work a few times(after each time i reflashed the sd card started on a fresh install with upgrades and updates done and then rebooted) i went looking for other tutorials.

the next one i found was this one:https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/raspberry-pi-as-access-point-along-with-pihole/1435/2

in the comments i followed clayton_cottinghams tutorial but it didnt work either. 

I would be able to get through the tutorial without any crashes or problems ssh'ing in but the wirless network would never show up on any of my devices.

there where a few other tutorials i foloowed but they all seemed to be pretty mush the same as 1 and 2 that i tried so i dont think they are worth mentioning.

so this is where im currently at so if anyone either needs more information to help, knows where ive went wrong or can point me in the direction of another tutorial to try i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

You don't have to make wireless access point. Just use local IP of your Raspeberry Pi as DNS server on other devices...

Just now, RageTester said:

You don't have to make wireless access point. Just use local IP of your IP as DNS server on other devices...

ye I know I can just use it for pi-hole but i also want it as an AP because the wifi in my room is a bit flakey because the router is down stairs so im trying to kill 2 birds with one stone and make it an access point for my room so its more stable in there if that makes sence 

The links you gave point to https://github.com/billz/raspap-webgui as being the go-to solution nowadays.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2