Help Overclocking i5-4670K with Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H

Hello. I've got the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H with the i5-4670k with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

I've been overclocking to 4.2ghz with Gigabyte's easytune software by using the medium setting under smartboost with these results;

Temperature at max load:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2v13qmh.jpg

EasyTune Software:

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2q07y3a.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/5k0lye.jpg

As you can see, with 4.2ghz it is well under stable temperatures. However, i'm worried that these voltages for the cpu are too high, and may damage it over long-term. I'm new to overclocking but i'm wanting to overclock this safely in the BIOS instead of using the easytune software. Hopefully achieving higher speeds and using lower voltages, lowering the temperature.

Help would be appreciated.

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

This is the most comprehensive Haswell OC guide out there that I know of. Also, it is meant for Gigabyte Z87 motherboards. Good luck!

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Seems a little confusing, especially for someone who's new to overclocking and never carried it out in the BIOS before. I've just overclocked to 4.4 using the easytune software and using Heavyload, it's running at 78 degrees max. I'm impressed! However it's using 1.392 Volts which is a little high. I just need a little more guidance on how to overclock and where i should start, and maybe how i should work up. 

i7 4790k (Hyper 212 Evo); GA-Z87X-UD3H; 16gb G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 @ 2400MHz; GeForce GTX 1080 ; Corsair CX600M 600W PSU; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB &  3TB HDD; Windows 10 64bit.

Seems a little confusing, especially for someone who's new to overclocking and never carried it out in the BIOS before. I've just overclocked to 4.4 using the easytune software and using Heavyload, it's running at 78 degrees max. I'm impressed! However it's using 1.392 Volts which is a little high. I just need a little more guidance on how to overclock and where i should start, and maybe how i should work up. 

WOW!!! 1.39V is waaaaay beyond Intel spec, not to mention with that entry level cooler... Please, for the love of God, turn it down immediately! If you continue using the processor like that it will degrade in a matter of months or maybe even weeks and eventually burn out. 1.3V is the maximum voltage allowed for air-cooled Haswell chips. 

One more thing, never ever overclock with software, because these programs force your motherboard to use way more voltage than what is required and will damage it! Watch the video, which is posted in the previous comments and use the knowledge form there. If it is not enough to understand the basics of overclocking a Haswell chip, there are 1000 more guides on youtube, just pick one.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

WOW!!! 1.39V is waaaaay beyond Intel spec, not to mention with that entry level cooler... Please, for the love of God, turn it down immediately! If you continue using the processor like that it will degrade in a matter of months or maybe even weeks and eventually burn out. 1.3V is the maximum voltage allowed for air-cooled Haswell chips. 

One more thing, never ever overclock with software, because these programs force your motherboard to use way more voltage than what is required and will damage it! Watch the video, which is posted in the previous comments and use the knowledge form there. If it is not enough to understand the basics of overclocking a Haswell chip, there are 1000 more guides on youtube, just pick one.  

Thanks. Uninstalled software and went into bios. Core speed now at 4.2 at a much lower 1.181 V. Running fine with maximum temperature of around 60 degrees. Definitely much more room for overclocking but will leave it like this for now to test it for a couple of days. I appreciate your help. From this voltage and speed, how would i start to overclock it some more? What increments should i be going up in for both voltage and core?

Thanks. Uninstalled software and went into bios. Core speed now at 4.2 at a much lower 1.181 V. Running fine with maximum temperature of around 60 degrees. Definitely much more room for overclocking but will leave it like this for now to test it for a couple of days. I appreciate your help. From this voltage and speed, how would i start to overclock it some more? What increments should i be going up in for both voltage and core?

You can start by rising the multiplier to 43 and voltage to 1.2. If it is stable, you can try 4.4 with the same voltage. If The computer BSODs try pushing the voltage by ~0.02-0.05V and test agin. That is how it is done. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

You can start by rising the multiplier to 43 and voltage to 1.2. If it is stable, you can try 4.4 with the same voltage. If The computer BSODs try pushing the voltage by ~0.02-0.05V and test agin. That is how it is done. 

Thanks. Hopefully i'm one of the lucky ones with the good haswell overclocker chip. Seems that the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is a pretty damn good cooler.

Read the guide @ilikemacandpc posted. I used that to get familiar with BIOS settings. I've got same board but bad chip as it would seem.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I'm at 1.220 V at 4.2 Ghz. Seems stable after running stress tests with temperatures up to 67 degrees. Definitely room for improvement. Will be raising to 4.3 after a couple more days of testing and see how far i can push it. What's the maximum voltage i should go to?

I'm at 1.220 V at 4.2 Ghz. Seems stable after running stress tests with temperatures up to 67 degrees. Definitely room for improvement. Will be raising to 4.3 after a couple more days of testing and see how far i can push it. What's the maximum voltage i should go to?

No more than 1.3. Preferably stay under 1.26-1.27 for safe 24/7 operation with that cooler. 

No more than 1.3. Preferably stay under 1.26-1.27 for safe 24/7 operation with that cooler. 

^ 100 percent correct. Depending on the batch 1.25 might even be the limit. Run a cinebench r 15 or an asus real bench h.264. If you are past LOW 70's you are running too hot. Those are the hottest temps you will ever see in real world use.

Stress tests add temps. Aida at 75-high 70's can be fine. Prime blend goes bonkers after round one and anything past blend on air is a no no. 

It is basically trial and error. Run a Asus real bench, aida for 10 min, throw in a 3dmark vantage, cinebench, first round of prime blend. If it passes all those it is prob stable. The next jump can be .01 apart or .10 apart. It is all random. Prime blend probably crashes the fastest and is the one I use first (just don't let it do second round). If you can pass a few minutes of that, move on to the other ones. 

Or you could just run aida for hours. Takes way longer to dial in though. :) Aida rocks for dialing in the uncore/cache. Just click cache and it will find instability pretty darn quick.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.