Ethernet Switch Trouble

FaTaLMercenery

I'm currently a student in college and I recently bought an ethernet switch to attempt to connect my pc, xbox one, and ps4 to the internet through the single ethernet port in my room. I currently am only able to connect a single device at a time to the internet, aka, I have a cable from the ethernet port in my room connected to the switch with a cable going to my xbox and one to my pc. Both devices recognize that they are connected via ethernet, but only one device actually connects to the internet. Is there something wrong with my switch, is it possible to block the functionality of a switch, or am I just totally misunderstanding the use of a switch?

Managed switches (what's probably running that port in your room) can be configured to block switches from being connected.

Although that does not sound like what's going on here it does sound like they're only allowing one IP address per port.

There's ways around this but forum rules dictate we're not allowed to help in circumventing security devices that you don't own.

Are you on a college campus? Or at home? 

If you're on a college campus and a managed network, my guess would be they have port-security on the switch running that wall port you're plugging in to.

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

You'd need a router, I'd also check their policy for having your own router as a lot of campuses have restrictions on wireless routers (causing interference with campus wifi and similar).  A lot of infrastructures can actually contain your rogue SSID so nothing can connect to it.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C