where to connect those 2 black wires from PSU for GPU connector

frozensun

I want to swap this card to my good old R9 390,but since this PSU is not modular,I don't know where to connect those 2 black wires?

I know I connect them 6+2 (2 are black wires) to 8-pin connector on GPU,but do I connect it to first pins on the left side or right side of the 8-pin connector?

It would be great if someone could just picture it.

IMG_20200212_144034.jpg

IMG_20200212_144120.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

8 minutes ago, frozensun said:

6+2=8 (quick maff)

And you have 2x6 pins.

Quick maff you don't need those +2 to be plugged.

The +2-part of the connectors are always on the LEFT SIDE of the 6+2 connector. That`s why they have those two noses on the right side and the 6-pin has the fitting notches on the left side.
Inked51vMJ3Bg0nL._AC_SL1000__LI.jpg.6c2248379c28039e42edafe8a71eb809.jpg

Anyways it should not fit any other way since the pins aren`t all shaped the same:
276183860_62withpin-shape_.jpg.2dca4e2a96ae42f3e76de4e24a7f3b59.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D | Motherboard: MSI MPG X670E Carbon WiFi
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 MHz CL30 2x16GB | GPU: AMD XFX 7900 XTX
Case: BeQuiet Dark Base 900 Pro rev.2 | PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 1000W
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro + Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TBGB M.2 + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 + Seagate Ironwolf 8TB HDD
Watercooling: EKWM Quantum Velocity2 + Alphacool Aurora D5 + Alphacool GPU Block
Radiators & Fans: 420/30 copper rad + 360/30 copper rad all Silent Wings 4 Pro @ 40%
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB | Mouse: Logitech G502X Plus | Mousepad: Logitech Powerplay | Headset: Corsair Virtuoso XT
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 32:9 1440p

2 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

6+2=8 (quick maff)

And you have 2x6 pins.

Yes I do,R9 390 Strix requires 8+6 pin.

2 minutes ago, MS Eierfeile said:

The +2-part of the connectors are always on the LEFT SIDE of the 6+2 connector. That`s why they have those two noses on the right side and the 6-pin has the fitting notches on the left side.
851758388_62withnotch_.jpg.a097a4add5ea3cf56ebcc348208f4a1e.jpg

Anyways it should not fit any other way since the pins aren`t all shaped the same:
276183860_62withpin-shape_.jpg.2dca4e2a96ae42f3e76de4e24a7f3b59.jpg

So 2 black wires I plug to the left side of the 8-pin connector?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

3 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

6+2=8 (quick maff)

And you have 2x6 pins.

He wants to swap to another card with one or two 8pin-connectors and wanted to know if the +2 go left or right of the 6-pin ?

Storage: Samsung 990 Pro + Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TBGB M.2 + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 + Seagate Ironwolf 8TB HDD
Watercooling: EKWM Quantum Velocity2 + Alphacool Aurora D5 + Alphacool GPU Block
Radiators & Fans: 420/30 copper rad + 360/30 copper rad all Silent Wings 4 Pro @ 40%
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB | Mouse: Logitech G502X Plus | Mousepad: Logitech Powerplay | Headset: Corsair Virtuoso XT

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Yes I do,R9 390 Strix requires 8+6 pin.

So 2 black wires I plug to the left side of the 8-pin connector?

Yes. But as said it shouldn`t fit any other way ;)

4 minutes ago, MS Eierfeile said:

He wants to swap to another card with one or two 8pin-connectors and wanted to know if the +2 go left or right of the 6-pin ?

Oh that well what you said is the good answer then :P

You can't plug the connectors into a card the wrong way, because they're keyed... the holes have specific shape.

If your video card has a 6 pin connector, you just plug the 6 pin part into the video card and leave the 2 pin bit floating in the air, unused.

You can create a 8 pin connector out of the 6 pin part and the 2pin part by joining them together - sometimes there's some kind of channel / groove on the edge of the connectors, and you can slide in the 2 pin part into the 6 pin part (or the other way around), to lock the two parts together and make the 2 parts insert easier into the 8 pin connector of the video card.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can't plug the connectors into a card the wrong way, because they're keyed... the holes have specific shape.

If your video card has a 6 pin connector, you just plug the 6 pin part into the video card and leave the 2 pin bit floating in the air, unused.

You can create a 8 pin connector out of the 6 pin part and the 2pin part by joining them together - sometimes there's some kind of channel / groove on the edge of the connectors, and you can slide in the 2 pin part into the 6 pin part (or the other way around), to lock the two parts together and make the 2 parts insert easier into the 8 pin connector of the video card.

ah ok,so basically it's impossible to plug in 6+2 connector to 8-pin on GPU the wrong way,except ofc to brute force it?

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

ah ok,so basically it's impossible to plug in 6+2 connector to 8-pin on GPU the wrong way,except ofc to brute force it?

Yeah see picture below ... you have your square "pins" and your "D" "pins" ... you can't shove a square into a D shape unless you're drunk and abuse it.

I used  --  instead of D because my paint skills are not enough to make a nice D shape.

connectors.jpg.13a3d77916c688166c106ca50771860b.jpg

Oh ok.are those 2 black grounded pins?whats the purpose then connecting those 2 if they dont give more amps?

The original connector had 6 pins and the specifications said the video card must not take more than 75 watts from the power supply through that connector. The limitation was based on the thickness of the wires going to connector, each pin's current handling ability, redundancy and safety - you don't want connectors and cables to overheat due to too much power going through to the video card.

(AWG 18 wire can carry around 100-150w safely, without insulation of wire becoming too hot or melting. The individual metal pins in the connectors can do around 9-10A which at 12v means around 100w per pin, so 2 pins would allow up to 200w, but what if one pin was loose or user plugs the connector half way?... that's why for redundancy and safety they decided on 75w because even with only one pair of wires, it would be safe to use the video card)

Initially in the first specifications of the connector, the connector was one row of 12v and one row of ground wires, but in the 12v row, only 2 of 3 positions were supposed to be used for 12v wires, one position was either sense or just nothing connected there. However, majority of power supply manufacturers just decided to also use the 3rd position for 12v, even though the preliminary standards said otherwise. 

The 75w limitation were smartly chosen keeping in mind the only 2 wires carrying power, but power supply manufacturers used 3 wires making it even better (reduced strain on the 2 contacts and made power losses lower).

Later, they added those 2 ground wires as a way to "hint" the video card that it's allowed to take more than 75 watts from that connector, up to 150w (double the original standard),  guaranteeing there's 3 pairs of wires (not just 2 as the original standard said) and that the wires are thick enough and connectors good enough to handle 150 watts.

If the video card doesn't detect those 2 wires plugged in, it should not take more than 75 watts or refuse to start, saying it doesn't have enough power.

I suppose the idea was that someone may make a 250-300w power supply with thinner wires and only 6 pin connectors, to save cost on wiring and all that...

But I still dont get it,if the card requires 8-pin (more amps) how will it get via wires which are grounded?Hmmm ..

From the other wires of course.

As said this is only to tell the card that the PSU and wiring are able to supply 150W.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It doesn't get it through those 2 wires. Think of those 2 wires like a on/off switch, a flag, it just tells the video card "it's ok to suck up to 150w through the 3 pairs of wires on the 6 pin side of the connector"

If those 2 wires are not there, the video card is supposed to assume "there may be only 2 pairs of 12v wires on the 6pin connector part, so don't take more than 75w from connector. If you do. you're not allowed to advertise yourself as pci-e video card"

Ok guys.thx for info.I'll plug the card and test it becuase this PSU I have in that comp is I guess a crap..

Guys connector on 6-pin don't match,I noted with mumbers,I did plug them back but because of cable routing I unpluged them and found out that,look at the pic below:

1 doesn't match with 1,2 with 2 and so on...

DSC01052.jpg

No becasue you're looking at it backwards...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Nope you are just looking at the way it should connect.Card in installed...1 should go to 1,2 to 2 but pins are not the same...

Look at plastic holder on the connector and I turned the connector on the cable to face the connector on the card.

sorry u were right,I got my self confused...

19 hours ago, frozensun said:

I want to swap this card to my good old R9 390,but since this PSU is not modular,I don't know where to connect those 2 black wires?

I know I connect them 6+2 (2 are black wires) to 8-pin connector on GPU,but do I connect it to first pins on the left side or right side of the 8-pin connector?

It would be great if someone could just picture it.

IMG_20200212_144034.jpg

IMG_20200212_144120.jpg

It's called a 6pin connector because it only needs 6 pins.

50 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I got myself confused because of my sickness.sorry bro.

you were right.