Mounting hard drive on base of 5.25" bay

Ravz
Hello,
I have a spare 3.5" hard drive that I am planning to mount directly to the base of the 5.25" bay and secure it using wire ties(I know there's an adapter for 3.5" to 5.25" but it takes more than 45 days to get it delivered to my place). The PCB of the drive and the screws that hold the PCB are touching the base of the bay, so is it safe to mount like that or does it harm the drive or create some kind of short in the system?

I wouldn't risk it. All it would take is a couple of washers to give you some standoff height to separate the board from touching the metal.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

26 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I wouldn't risk it. All it would take is a couple of washers to give you some standoff height to separate the board from touching the metal.

How about placing a strip of thick foam under the horizontal edges of the hard drive? Would that suffice from touching the metal?

Sure. All you need to do is make sure you have a permanent gap so no electrical parts can short circuit with the tray.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

14 hours ago, Ravz said:

How about placing a strip of thick foam under the horizontal edges of the hard drive? Would that suffice from touching the metal?

Long as you leave a sufficient gap it will be ok, you can also get adapter sleds to mount the drive onto which will also give you some vibration resistance. 

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Aluminum-Internal-Mounting-Absorption/dp/B005OJFASY

On 2/11/2020 at 3:26 PM, keskparane said:

Sure. All you need to do is make sure you have a permanent gap so no electrical parts can short circuit with the tray.

19 hours ago, W-L said:

Long as you leave a sufficient gap it will be ok, you can also get adapter sleds to mount the drive onto which will also give you some vibration resistance. 

https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Aluminum-Internal-Mounting-Absorption/dp/B005OJFASY

I took your ideas and made 4 spacers from nylon(each of 6mm length) and screwed it to the base of the HDD to have that space under the hard drive where I no longer have to worry about it touching to the bay. And secured one side of the HDD to the 5.25 bay firmly. Now there's almost no vibrations, ample airflow under the HDD, doesn't sag (since its held to case from only one side of HDD).

Thank you for your responses and sharing your ideas. I really appreciate it :)