Upgrading my old budget build

Go to solution Solved by trevb0t,
2 hours ago, TheTacticalL said:

1. Budget & Location

I don't have a super strict budget, but I would like to keep everything under $500 if possible and Ill be paying in USD

2. Aim

I am trying to make my PC run better for more demanding games since my CPU isnt very good

3. Monitors

Im currently running on a 32" Samsung HDTV, not a true monitor. If anybody has any good suggestions for a temporary monitor upgrade, please let me know

4. Peripherals

I am all set for peripherals and my OS

5. Why are you upgrading?

Im trying to play games on higher settings and with steady frames, but my CPU is lacking, and my Motherboard might be too, since I bought everything on a budget
My current build is this;

MOBO - MSI 7370-A Pro
CPU - Intel Core I3 8100
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Afterburner
Ram - 2 x 8 DDR4 3000
SSD - Crucial MX300 2.5 inch
HDD - Seagate BarraCude 2TB
Power Supply - EVGA 500B
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full Tower

Any good recommendations for CPUs, MOBOs, and maybe even monitors would be greatly appreciated

If you're looking to step out of your current experience, the only thing that likely isn't going to hold up at 1080p gaming is the i3.

The 1060 6GB is still a pretty competitive 1080p card. (That's not to say it's the best. It's not. But to get something that's WORTH upgrading to you're looking toward AT LEAST an RX 5700, RTX 2060 Super and up. Anything less is a small performance gain for a chunk of money.) You'd also want a more powerful CPU as not to bottleneck the new card. As @Herman Mcpootis suggested, here's what that might look like:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor $149.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card $359.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $509.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-10 02:49 EST-0500  
  • Pros:
    • Immediate performance gains: A huge boost to performance at both the CPU and GPU level. (Though see con #2.)
  • Cons:
    • The 9400F is a six core, non threaded CPU with no overclocking capability. It's not a bad piece, but it's unlikely to be a piece that will perform WELL for years to come. (Some older Intel CPUs are still gaming monsters. Even from seven generations ago. This one won't be that, but will perform well out of the box.)
    • No monitor upgrade. It's unlikely that your TV is not going to allow you to see the massive performance gains here, and will still need upgraded later.

CPUs compatible with the Z370 series are plenty, and most would be a decent step up from the 8100. That said, most worth considering for years of use are pretty 'spensive. You could look at something like the i7-8700K or i7-9700K(or KF). This would be a significant performance increase from the 8100, and your board supports an unlocked CPU.

This is a big chunk of your $500 on a CPU, but you could fit a solid 1080p gaming monitor in there if you squeeze out another $15. (or $25 in the case of the 8700K, which is the route I'd likely go.)

Here's what that might look like:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-9700KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $369.99 @ B&H
Monitor AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $144.99 @ Amazon
  Total $514.98
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-10 02:55 EST-0500  
  • Pros:
    • Building a solid threshold for years of use. Either option is a high operating, high thread count CPU with overclocking available in the future.
      • (The 9700K is not hyperthreaded, which is its only real con. The 8700K is, but drops two real cores. Many still consider the 8700K the better buy. I tend to agree if you do any kinda of workload processing. That said the 9700K's 8 cores is nothing to scoff at, especially since the threads of a hyperthreaded CPU can't operate at 100% of what a core can. So... Really either is a solid option.)
      • A 24" 1080p 144hz 1ms Freesync monitor. This will give you a display that can utilize a graphics upgrade whenever you're ready to do so in the future, and for now will play nicely with your GTX 1060.
    • Cons:
      • No improved GPU. At this time, I'd consider this less of a con, but it does mean that your GTX 1060 will continue to age. It will be your next replace.

You could also consider a jump to Zen 2. This is the 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU lineup from AMD. It's a very cool time to get into this hardware, since there is still and upcoming Zen 3 platform that should be compatible with the current motherboard lineup. So there is the possibility of upgrade on the existing platform.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $174.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $164.99 @ B&H
  Total $484.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-10 03:29 EST-0500  
  • Pros:
    • Jumping into the new PCIe gen 4 with this motherboard. Currently that doesn't mean a lot, but could be pretty big for the next gen of GPUs. (Which again is the next clear path of upgrade.)
    • Similar stability and similar performance gains to the i7 options. The 3600 is a fierce competitor, especially at the price.
    • You could likely sell your Z370 and 8100 for some extra spending cash for the next upgrade. (And your 1060 when the time comes!) 
    • Again, a decent 1080p gaming monitor so you can actually see any performance gains.
  • Cons:
    • Slightly less powerful CPU upgrade than the 8700K/9700K. Again still a great option.
    • Again no GPU upgrade today. Again not a massive con in the current hardware eco-system.

Lots of ideas/info (sorry!) but some food for thought. Were it me, I think I'd go with the third option, since it is a large upgrade, Zen 2 is pretty freakin cool. It also gives you the ability to get some return on your current gear.

(At time of posting, I see the 8100 frequently sold for 60-75 on ebay. The Z370 appears to be pretty low on average at $45ish shipped. And the 1060 is around $50 for a 3GB and $75 for the 6GB. Hard to say the value exactly, but if you put them up for a cash only local sale, you could probably ask $200 and let them talk to down to $175-180 without dealing with shipping and ebay cuts. That's a good chunk of money toward your next GPU.)

1. Budget & Location

I don't have a super strict budget, but I would like to keep everything under $500 if possible and Ill be paying in USD

2. Aim

I am trying to make my PC run better for more demanding games since my CPU isnt very good

3. Monitors

Im currently running on a 32" Samsung HDTV, not a true monitor. If anybody has any good suggestions for a temporary monitor upgrade, please let me know

4. Peripherals

Im trying to play games on higher settings and with steady frames, but my CPU is lacking, and my Motherboard might be too, since I bought everything on a budget

MOBO - MSI 7370-A Pro
CPU - Intel Core I3 8100
Ram - 2 x 8 DDR4 3000
Power Supply - EVGA 500B

Any good recommendations for CPUs, MOBOs, and maybe even monitors would be greatly appreciated

Grab a 9400F, RX 5700 and a CX550 to replace the PSU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Hey,

My recommendation would be a AMD Ryzen 5 3600x or 2600x as they are both very good CPU's for just over $200.

As for MOBO's I would recommend the: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard. It does go with the CPU's above so they would pair well. It also comes in right around $150

For a Monitor I would recommend the: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor. It is smaller than the TV you are using but should be a bit of an upgrade for gaming.

2 hours ago, TheTacticalL said:

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim

3. Monitors

4. Peripherals

MOBO - MSI 7370-A Pro
CPU - Intel Core I3 8100
Ram - 2 x 8 DDR4 3000
Power Supply - EVGA 500B

If you're looking to step out of your current experience, the only thing that likely isn't going to hold up at 1080p gaming is the i3.

The 1060 6GB is still a pretty competitive 1080p card. (That's not to say it's the best. It's not. But to get something that's WORTH upgrading to you're looking toward AT LEAST an RX 5700, RTX 2060 Super and up. Anything less is a small performance gain for a chunk of money.) You'd also want a more powerful CPU as not to bottleneck the new card. As @Herman Mcpootis suggested, here's what that might look like:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Video Card PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card $359.99 @ Amazon
  Total $509.98
  • Pros:
    • Immediate performance gains: A huge boost to performance at both the CPU and GPU level. (Though see con #2.)
  • Cons:
    • The 9400F is a six core, non threaded CPU with no overclocking capability. It's not a bad piece, but it's unlikely to be a piece that will perform WELL for years to come. (Some older Intel CPUs are still gaming monsters. Even from seven generations ago. This one won't be that, but will perform well out of the box.)
    • No monitor upgrade. It's unlikely that your TV is not going to allow you to see the massive performance gains here, and will still need upgraded later.

CPUs compatible with the Z370 series are plenty, and most would be a decent step up from the 8100. That said, most worth considering for years of use are pretty 'spensive. You could look at something like the i7-8700K or i7-9700K(or KF). This would be a significant performance increase from the 8100, and your board supports an unlocked CPU.

This is a big chunk of your $500 on a CPU, but you could fit a solid 1080p gaming monitor in there if you squeeze out another $15. (or $25 in the case of the 8700K, which is the route I'd likely go.)

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
  Total $514.98
  • Pros:
    • Building a solid threshold for years of use. Either option is a high operating, high thread count CPU with overclocking available in the future.
      • (The 9700K is not hyperthreaded, which is its only real con. The 8700K is, but drops two real cores. Many still consider the 8700K the better buy. I tend to agree if you do any kinda of workload processing. That said the 9700K's 8 cores is nothing to scoff at, especially since the threads of a hyperthreaded CPU can't operate at 100% of what a core can. So... Really either is a solid option.)
      • A 24" 1080p 144hz 1ms Freesync monitor. This will give you a display that can utilize a graphics upgrade whenever you're ready to do so in the future, and for now will play nicely with your GTX 1060.
    • Cons:
      • No improved GPU. At this time, I'd consider this less of a con, but it does mean that your GTX 1060 will continue to age. It will be your next replace.

You could also consider a jump to Zen 2. This is the 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU lineup from AMD. It's a very cool time to get into this hardware, since there is still and upcoming Zen 3 platform that should be compatible with the current motherboard lineup. So there is the possibility of upgrade on the existing platform.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
  Total $484.97
  • Pros:
    • Jumping into the new PCIe gen 4 with this motherboard. Currently that doesn't mean a lot, but could be pretty big for the next gen of GPUs. (Which again is the next clear path of upgrade.)
    • Similar stability and similar performance gains to the i7 options. The 3600 is a fierce competitor, especially at the price.
    • You could likely sell your Z370 and 8100 for some extra spending cash for the next upgrade. (And your 1060 when the time comes!) 
    • Again, a decent 1080p gaming monitor so you can actually see any performance gains.
  • Cons:
    • Slightly less powerful CPU upgrade than the 8700K/9700K. Again still a great option.
    • Again no GPU upgrade today. Again not a massive con in the current hardware eco-system.

Lots of ideas/info (sorry!) but some food for thought. Were it me, I think I'd go with the third option, since it is a large upgrade, Zen 2 is pretty freakin cool. It also gives you the ability to get some return on your current gear.

(At time of posting, I see the 8100 frequently sold for 60-75 on ebay. The Z370 appears to be pretty low on average at $45ish shipped. And the 1060 is around $50 for a 3GB and $75 for the 6GB. Hard to say the value exactly, but if you put them up for a cash only local sale, you could probably ask $200 and let them talk to down to $175-180 without dealing with shipping and ebay cuts. That's a good chunk of money toward your next GPU.)

I have to agree with@trevb0t the 3rd option looks the best for future upgrade path.

Also, with the money you get from selling the old CPU/Mobo/GPU you easily upgrade to a used GTX 1070 with zero cash out of pocket. Which would go a long way to using those 144hz from that shiny new monitor.

11 hours ago, trevb0t said:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
  Total $509.98
  • Pros:
  • Cons:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
  Total $514.98
  • Pros:
    • Cons:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
  Total $484.97
  • Pros:
  • Cons:

Thank you guys for the quick responses, and Thank You very much to Trevb0t for this very informative and detailed answer. Ill be buying the Monitor/MOBO/CPU combo you mentioned and will eventually upgrade my 1060 when the time comes

2 hours ago, AaronThomas said:

I have to agree with@trevb0t the 3rd option looks the best for future upgrade path.

Also, with the money you get from selling the old CPU/Mobo/GPU you easily upgrade to a used GTX 1070 with zero cash out of pocket. Which would go a long way to using those 144hz from that shiny new monitor.

I wouldn't consider a 1070 (or even Ti) a large enough jump to justify the cost.

nVidia's 3000 series is on the horizon, so either a big save for a shiny new piece, or hopefully steep discounts on the RTX 2000 series are both forthcoming options.

This should also drive prices down on pieces like the 1080Ti, though the RTX 2070 Super trades blows and often outperforms. Seeing what prices look like on those in about a year is a good idea if OP isn't itching too bad to blow a wad of GPU cash RIGHT NOW :P 

I'll likely be doing the same sometime this year. I have a pretty comparable GPU in the RX 580, and if the 2070S or 2080 start dropping in price, I'm snatching one up.

Only suggested it because in theory the cost would be zero after selling the old hardware.

But saving the money from the Mobo/CPU sale for a future better card might be better.

3 hours ago, trevb0t said:

I wouldn't consider a 1070 (or even Ti) a large enough jump to justify the cost.

nVidia's 3000 series is on the horizon, so either a big save for a shiny new piece, or hopefully steep discounts on the RTX 2000 series are both forthcoming options.

This should also drive prices down on pieces like the 1080Ti, though the RTX 2070 Super trades blows and often outperforms. Seeing what prices look like on those in about a year is a good idea if OP isn't itching too bad to blow a wad of GPU cash RIGHT NOW :P 

I'll likely be doing the same sometime this year. I have a pretty comparable GPU in the RX 580, and if the 2070S or 2080 start dropping in price, I'm snatching one up.

Im currently out of a job since I quit walmart 6 months ago, so im not exactly shitting cash, but when I get a job again, I MIGHT pick one up too

1 hour ago, TheTacticalL said:

Im currently out of a job since I quit walmart 6 months ago, so im not exactly shitting cash, but when I get a job again, I MIGHT pick one up too

Well I think the beauty of the upgrade is that the GPU you've got is pretty viable. (I don't know if it's the 3GB or 6GB variant. If it's 3GB you'll likely have to turn down settings in the new batch of shader heavy games.) You should be able to game in reasonable comfort on it for now.

4 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Well I think the beauty of the upgrade is that the GPU you've got is pretty viable. (I don't know if it's the 3GB or 6GB variant. If it's 3GB you'll likely have to turn down settings in the new batch of shader heavy games.) You should be able to game in reasonable comfort on it for now.

I made sure it was a 6gb, there was no way I was getting a 3gb lmao