So A friend asks me......

So a friend asks me, if I've seen good prices on gaming laptops, and if so what are they.  My response to him was: Why?? What do you want a "Gaming" laptop for?  I had to ask because my friend doesn't really do anything in the PC gaming world.  As I type, he is currently logged on to the Xbox, and is playing away as usual.  His response to me was he wants to play different games, but on the PC rather than the Xbox, in order to make use different Mods, and features that the PC experience provides.  Games such as Mass Effect etc.  Ok,  I reply,  "but you don't want a laptop.  For a better experience you should get a desktop PC.  My thinking is a Mini ITX PC would provide a much better experience than a Laptop, and offer more in the way of customization, and upgrade ability.   I've built my own Gaming/ home PC. So I'm perfectly capable to build for him a custom build.  But I personally went waaayyy over budget, for a specific look, and theme on mine.  Which was fine for me, but not when I'm making recommendations to friends.   I don't want to push him into a direction that would end up being too expensive and not accomplish what we want to achieve.

So,  Enter the LLT community. 

So,  with planning a new Mini ITX build in mind.  Can you help us out?

1. Budget & Location

He is wanting to spend between $500 to $800 US.  But would go over if the case can be made for specific value or quality. 

2. Aim

The aim of the build would be a Mini ITX system suitable for Gaming at 1080p to 2k on 1 monitor, and basic home use (web browsing, work related MicroSoft office stuff)

3. Monitors

He has a 1080p Sony 37 inch that he would use for a Monitor.

4. Peripherals

He would need to get a keyboard, and mouse for games that do not support a game controller, but otherwise the Keyboard and mouse will be secondary to the controller. 

5. Why are you upgrading?

(See first paragraph) - But really,  my thoughts were why not jump on this opportunity to "convert" a Console gamer to the "proper" PC MASTER RACE cause so any help and suggestions would be great. 

Thanks in advance.

Rig; CPU - Intel i7-4770k, MB - Asus Maximus VI Formula, Memory- Dominator Platinum 32GB, SSD - Samsung 840 Evo - OS, GPU - Asus GTX 780 Direct CU II, Case - Fractal Design R4 window, Monitor - Asus BG248QE X3 in surround.

Gaming laptops are quite expensive and they're all limited by the fact they're all using 1920*1080p resolution...

Using a MITX build should be the best option to be honest

@sym Hi never said that to a person from Minnesota

Do you/he have an OS or peripherals already?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

AMD FX series which are budget processors don't have mini itx motherboards.  Intel does have mini itx be it wouldn't be good for this budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SQYP This is good for overclocking and future upgrades.  This is atx but you could get mATX if you wanted, but the motherboards aren't great

Left some space for Peripherals.  You could get OS by other means ;)

There's a good color scheme too :)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRpI
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRpI/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRpI/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($88.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 Mini ITX FM2 Motherboard ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($274.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case ($39.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $711.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-13 21:18 EST-0500)

you can also get an aftermarket CPU cooler (better temps, quiet operation). Also any keyboard / mouse you wish, that's more a personal matter to me.

Gaming laptops are quite expensive and they're all limited by the fact they're all using 1920*1080p resolution...

Using a MITX build should be the best option to be honest

@sym Hi never said that to a person from Minnesota

Do you/he have an OS or peripherals already?

Thanks, for the reply.  Good to hear from the other side of the pond. 

He would need to get the OS, and the only other peripherals I can see he would need would be the standard Mouse and keyboard, but as I mentioned these would be secondary to a game controller.  Another important point forgot to mention would be that he would want the system to be as quiet as possible. 

Rig; CPU - Intel i7-4770k, MB - Asus Maximus VI Formula, Memory- Dominator Platinum 32GB, SSD - Samsung 840 Evo - OS, GPU - Asus GTX 780 Direct CU II, Case - Fractal Design R4 window, Monitor - Asus BG248QE X3 in surround.

I would use this build first then save for a descent graphics card

Sorry if he wants a dedicated graphics but I think you should talk to him about waiting for it if possible.

Also has he tried either Window 7 or 8. Maybe he wants to use the upcoming Steam OS? I will put him down for a cheap keyboard and mouse

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

Thanks, for the reply.  Good to hear from the other side of the pond. 

He would need to get the OS, and the only other peripherals I can see he would need would be the standard Mouse and keyboard, but as I mentioned these would be secondary to a game controller.  Another important point forgot to mention would be that he would want the system to be as quiet as possible. 

The case I used is silence optimized.  My friend built a system last year in it and it's damn near inaudible

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Here is my PC I made for you

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRKy

BTW there isn't a graphics card so hopefully he can be patient if not I can change out the SSD and keep the hard drive and add a graphics card

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRKy
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRKy/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus A88XM-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($78.99 @ Mac Mall) 
Memory: PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($79.18 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Silverstone PS09B MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Microsoft JWD-00046      Wired Standard Keyboard  ($8.36 @ B&H) 
Mouse: Microsoft Basic Wired Optical Mouse  ($11.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $672.44
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-13 21:29 EST-0500)

This is the build with a graphics card so yeah but I would think that he should wait since I'm using an Nvidia graphics card Maxwell their new graphics card architecture is nearly out and might make the 700 series geforce cards even cheaper.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRRb

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRRb
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRRb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $903.25
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-13 21:32 EST-0500)

I do realize its $100 dollars over budget but spending more might make him slightly unhappy waiting for the delivery guy and making him happy when gaming

Desktop for sure... Small for sure...

Nabbing a Quadcore>Mini-Itx board + Mini Nvidia 760 or something you can throw in a small enclosure and has a carry handle. Eating any laptop in its path...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Here is my PC I made for you

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRKy

BTW there isn't a graphics card so hopefully he can be patient if not I can change out the SSD and keep the hard drive and add a graphics card

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRKy
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRKy/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($79.18 @ Amazon) 
Total: $672.44
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-13 21:29 EST-0500)

This is the build with a graphics card so yeah but I would think that he should wait since I'm using an Nvidia graphics card Maxwell their new graphics card architecture is nearly out and might make the 700 series geforce cards even cheaper.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRRb

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRRb
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SRRb/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($309.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $903.25
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-13 21:32 EST-0500)

I do realize its $100 dollars over budget but spending more might make him slightly unhappy waiting for the delivery guy and making him happy when gaming

Thanks for the suggestions,  This looks incredible.  I really agree with you on the waiting.  I was also hoping the prices for the 700 series will be dropping soon.  (I have my own eye on a 2nd Asus 780 direct CU for my own rig to run in SLI)  We will likely wait for a a couple of months to research and price shop the parts.  He's not in a super rush to get any of this right away. 

AMD FX series which are budget processors don't have mini itx motherboards.  Intel does have mini itx be it wouldn't be good for this budget.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SQYP This is good for overclocking and future upgrades.  This is atx but you could get mATX if you wanted, but the motherboards aren't great

Left some space for Peripherals.  You could get OS by other means ;)

There's a good color scheme too :)

I like this one too.  If we can work with ATX size this might work out great. 

Seems like a good plan of action @sym I hope your friend not only enjoys the build but has fun gaming with you ;D

Your welcome from Kingsley xD

So a friend asks me, if I've seen good prices on gaming laptops, and if so what are they.  My response to him was: Why?? What do you want a "Gaming" laptop for?  I had to ask because my friend doesn't really do anything in the PC gaming world.  As I type, he is currently logged on to the Xbox, and is playing away as usual.  His response to me was he wants to play different games, but on the PC rather than the Xbox, in order to make use different Mods, and features that the PC experience provides.  Games such as Mass Effect etc.  Ok,  I reply,  "but you don't want a laptop.  For a better experience you should get a desktop PC.  My thinking is a Mini ITX PC would provide a much better experience than a Laptop, and offer more in the way of customization, and upgrade ability.   I've built my own Gaming/ home PC. So I'm perfectly capable to build for him a custom build.  But I personally went waaayyy over budget, for a specific look, and theme on mine.  Which was fine for me, but not when I'm making recommendations to friends.   I don't want to push him into a direction that would end up being too expensive and not accomplish what we want to achieve.

So,  Enter the LLT community. 

So,  with planning a new Mini ITX build in mind.  Can you help us out?

1. Budget & Location

He is wanting to spend between $500 to $800 US.  But would go over if the case can be made for specific value or quality. 

2. Aim

The aim of the build would be a Mini ITX system suitable for Gaming at 1080p to 2k on 1 monitor, and basic home use (web browsing, work related MicroSoft office stuff)

3. Monitors

He has a 1080p Sony 37 inch that he would use for a Monitor.

4. Peripherals

He would need to get a keyboard, and mouse for games that do not support a game controller, but otherwise the Keyboard and mouse will be secondary to the controller. 

5. Why are you upgrading?

(See first paragraph) - But really,  my thoughts were why not jump on this opportunity to "convert" a Console gamer to the "proper" PC MASTER RACE cause so any help and suggestions would be great. 

• CAS: CYBERPOWERPC Zeus Mini mITX Gaming Chassis w/ USB 3.0 [4.4in(W) x 13in(H) x 17.4in(D)] (Black Color w/ Red Light)
  • CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.70GHz Quad-Core APU w/ Radeon R7 8GCN Cores Graphics
  • FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan [+36] (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
  • FREEBIE_CU1: FREE! Battlefield 4 Game Coupon [+0]
  • FREEBIE_CU2: Free Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Game Coupon [+0]
  • FREEBIE_VC1: AMD NEVER SETTLE FOREVER SILVER: 2 Free Games [+0]
  • HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-23] (Single Drive)
  • HEADSET: ZALMAN ZM-HPS200 GAMING HEADSET [+0]
  • KEYBOARD2: (Keyboard & Mouse Combo) Cooler Master Storm Devastator Gaming Keyboard & Mouse Combo [+0]
  • MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory [-59] (ADATA XPG V2)
  • MOTHERBOARD: MSI A88XI AC FM2+ mITX, AC Wi-Fi 802.11 + Bluetooth, USB 3+ SATA 6GB/s GbLAN, 1 Gen3 PCIe x16 [-12]
  • NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
  • OS: Microsoft® Windows 8.1 (64-bit Edition) + Office 365 FREE 30 Days Trial
  • POWERSUPPLY: 500 Watts - EVGA 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply [+16]
  • RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 2 to 3 weeks
  • SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  • SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
  • VIDEO: AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [-279] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
  • _PRICE: (+769)

would this uit his needs ? its prebuilt but the parts should be about what you want am i correct

Thanks for the suggestions,  This looks incredible.  I really agree with you on the waiting.  I was also hoping the prices for the 700 series will be dropping soon.  (I have my own eye on a 2nd Asus 780 direct CU for my own rig to run in SLI)  We will likely wait for a a couple of months to research and price shop the parts.  He's not in a super rush to get any of this right away. 

I'd suggest planning later then. ~2-3 days at most before you buy. Parts and prices change frequently so any parts list you come up with now will likely be obsolete by the time you're ready to buy.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.