Linux Windows virtual machine good idea?

Basically he is visualizing Windows 10 through Linux with a GPU pass-through and says there is little to no performance impact for Windows gaming.

I am kind of sick of Windows software rot and this looks like a really easy way to nuke the windows installation and load up another.

Good idea?

There are apparently linix distros built specifically to support this kind of thing.  The idea as I understand it is to enhance security, because it creates a control layer for windows accessing the internet.  The GPU pass through is apparently more trouble than is often advertised.

i looked at it hard but decided not to do it myself.  I may yet change my mind.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

28 minutes ago, Katze said:

Basically he is visualizing Windows 10 through Linux with a GPU pass-through and says there is little to no performance impact for Windows gaming.

I am kind of sick of Windows software rot and this looks like a really easy way to nuke the windows installation and load up another.

Good idea?

The idea is good, yes. Will it suit you? I don't know. I am not using windows but I did set up some dual-boot systems so far at which the win-install is usually for gaming only. I never did a gpu pass-through yet, and no vm (without it) did match wine/proton. Next to that, I don't have a personal use-case for a Windows-vm.

4 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

The idea is good, yes. Will it suit you? I don't know. I am not using windows but I did set up some dual-boot systems so far at which the win-install is usually for gaming only. I never did a gpu pass-through yet, and no vm (without it) did match wine/proton. Next to that, I don't have a personal use-case for a Windows-vm.

How goes the duel-boot? I have considered wetting my feet with that first.

My thinking is to have 3 partitions on my SSD, one for Linux, one for windows, and one for files. What partition sizes would you recommend?

3 minutes ago, Katze said:

How goes the duel-boot? I have considered wetting my feet with that first.

My thinking is to have 3 partitions on my SSD, one for Linux, one for windows, and one for files. What partition sizes would you recommend?

If you have a cheap ssd or harddisk lying around then use that. 16-32gb for the system itself is a good start, you may want a separate /home later on, its size can vary depending on what you are going to do with your computer; it is quite easy to fill 512gb with games from steam, and if you're going to install vm's you should consider sufficient space.

You should have a swap-partition as well, at about memory-size, and maybe a separate boot partition. One thing is for sure, 3 partitions won't cut it...