Programming or IT or Networking?

Jeroen1322

Hi guys! 

when i finish high school i need to pick a career direction and follow a "training?" i think i don't know how to call it in english.

I don't know what to choose! 

I love programming but they will just hire some people in other country's to program for them.

I love working with hardware and all that stuff.

I love networking and learning more about it.

I don't know where the money is, i like every one of them so i'll probably be happy when i take that job, i just need to know where can i earn the most money.

Thanks! 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

programming is more creative but you need to know a lot of maths, hardware is fairly easy but the least paid, and networking has a lot of theory that needs learning but is probably paid more when you become a manager or something. Basic networking is usually involved in working with hardware though unless you are something like a system builder.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

All of the above, why limit your horizons.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Programmers are paid one of the most, server side programmers one of the least but still quiet allot (ofcourse depending on where you work). We can't choose for you, just go for whatever you enjoy since you'd put more effort into it and eventually you'd get paid more and more for your hard work, so even for the least payed job out of them you'd still end up getting paid good because you'd be promoted

Well, which one do you like better? Honestly I would go with programming. 

Never go for money. Do something you like and the money will follow if you're passionate and good enough at it.

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

It's up to you, but both are great.

Signatures are stupid.

I Did bsc computer science for 1st year... mainly programming involved. Programming is like marmite; you either love it or hate it. I didn't like it at all, i changed course to computer networks Bsc for 2nd year and i love the subject, very interesting and so much things to learn. But having said that i had already taught myself quite a bit in the networking area beforehand. I personally see a big future in networking since there has been a lot more reliance on networks and the internet today, same thing can be said for programming. Just choose the course which makes the most sense to you. but i would always look at what the IT industry as a whole are looking for, so i take that into consideration. Hope it helps :)

I prefer software development and diagnosing/problem solving, but lately I've been more IT and sysadmin type. 

I say do it all :)

I disagree with the "follow your heart" and "don't go just for money" type of comments. The amount of people that get to follow their dreams and live off being artists, game designers, and yes youtube video makers, are TINY. Like insignificantly so, in reality you have to look at what sells in the job market. I'd go for Networks myself but I wouldn't focus just on that, take some general business administration with it too, there's some careers that include both networking and server management along with day-to-day business management. That way you are still doing something you like but you'll be quite a bit more visible for management positions than a guy that knows only technical stuff: Executive types like to talk not only to a knowledgeable guy but also a guy that can speak in their terms.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Definitely don't do it for the money, the amount of people I see drop out of Engineering after first year is astronomical, all they are doing is racking up a lot of bills/loans and getting nowhere for it.

Chase what you love doing, not money. If you love it enough, you'll put more work in and become better at it, and in all likely-hood earn more money from working your way up the ladder.

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

When I'm done with highschool, im doing a mix of both. itll pay well being well rounded in all of those fields 

PC Specs

Intel i5 4670k 4.2ghz @1.20v | Cooler Master 212 Plus | Asus z87-A | Fractal Design Define R4 |Hitachi 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Samsung 840 EVO | Seasonic 520w m12II | Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb DDR3 1600mhz | PowerColor 7870 GHz edition | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | NZXT Hue RGB Controller

Look into being a Server Ops Engineer.... pretty much covers all of those.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

while every one needs money I'd rather live paycheck to paycheck doing what I love then making a ton of money. The catch is if I made a ton of money I could do what I love.

In this case, even if not the same all 3 career choices are profitable enough with plenty of day-to-day jobs needed. But I always tell people to be realistic since there's a very minimal ammount of programmers that get to program games for example, even if you find programming fun once you're asked to write scripts to process tax returns or automatized server and database maintenance scripts it won't seem all that fun anymore.

I don't mean to discourage people, but I also don't think it's realistic to just "follow your dreams" since you'll eventually have families, people who will depend on you and yourself to feed and those art major and graphic designers will have a tougher life than somebody who was more realistic about his profession, after all we all have time for hobbies and such, "dreams" might happen but the world needs office employers, car mechanics, store employees, etc. A society with nothing but game designers and musicians wouldn't function and creating unrealistic expectations for like 99% of the population it's kinda cruel to me.

-------

Current Rig

-------