New build Ryzen 5 + ...

Hello all!

Would like to get your opinion if this build makes any sence for a future proof PC?

I don't have any specific use like gaming or work in my mind, just sensible rig I can use next 10 years without upgrading as my previous Intel i7.

Link to the build

I have good (hopefully) CoolerMaster case and Corsair 850W power supply from my current PC and a bunch of HD/SSD drives.

Thanks

No one can really tell what will be required 10 years down the line, but that video card definitely won't hold up.

There's no such thing as future proof.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

motherboard isn't great, for ram get 2x16 instead, and that 5500xt gpu is almost obsolete today, not to talk about 10 years.

I'd get the Asus TUF X570-Plus instead of that Gaming X.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

40 minutes ago, Craig Ferguson said:

Hello all!

Would like to get your opinion if this build makes any sence for a future proof PC?

I don't have any specific use like gaming or work in my mind, just sensible rig I can use next 10 years without upgrading as my previous Intel i7.

Link to the build

I have good (hopefully) CoolerMaster case and Corsair 850W power supply from my current PC and a bunch of HD/SSD drives.

Thanks

I couldn’t get the build thing you listed to load.  Without a specific requirement other than basic use I don’t see why any i7 system wouldn’t continue to be useful.  What makes things difficult with upcoming stuff is literally work/gaming requirements which you don’t seem to have.  Some arguments have been made about video codec stuff and requirements for those. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/7/2020 at 2:43 PM, rares495 said:

I'd get the Asus TUF X570-Plus instead of that Gaming X.

What is main reason you would use Asus over GIGABYTE board?

On 2/7/2020 at 7:39 AM, dizmo said:

No one can really tell what will be required 10 years down the line, but that video card definitely won't hold up.

There's no such thing as future proof.

Depends how the term is defined.  I would agree that the phrase “future proof” is grossly misleading.  It used to be that a system could not be expected to remain useful for more than a couple years.  That number has been increasing though it is still possible to create a system that will become useless in a short period of time.   I take “future proof” to mean a system more likely to resist obcelecence for at least a period of time, which of course is not even approaching a “proof”.  A better term might be “relatively obscelescence resistant” 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends how the term is defined.  I would agree that the phrase “future proof” is grossly misleading.  It used to be that a system could not be expected to remain useful for more than a couple years.  That number has been increasing though it is still possible to create a system that will become useless in a short period of time.   I take “future proof” to mean a system more likely to resist obsolescence for at least a period of time, which of course is not even approaching a “proof”.  A better term might be “relatively obsolescence resistant” 

My 10 years old PC i7 930 (1st gen) is/was still "OK" for what I use it (media and some Nemetschek Allplan application use).

Now that OS went belly up, I will use this situation and upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Craig Ferguson said:

My 10 years old PC i7 930 (1st gen) is/was still "OK" for what I use it (media and some Nemetschek Allplan application use).

Now that OS went belly up, I will use this situation and upgrade.

The 9 series systems were sort of a sweet spot where people were able to avoid upgrades for a previously unheard of amount of time.  It was mostly so far as I can tell due to luck.  Making it happen again is not a reliably predictable thing.     Attempts are made for limited capacity that way relying on the apparent 5 year upgrade path of consoles. So 5 year gaming PCs are attempted where as long as one can exceed the specs of an upcoming gaming machine it will at least play games until the console system is changed again. 

16 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The 9 series systems were sort of a sweet spot where people were able to avoid upgrades for a previously unheard of amount of time.  It was mostly so far as I can tell due to luck.  Making it happen again is not a reliably predictable thing.     Attempts are made for limited capacity that way relying on the apparent 5 year upgrade path of consoles. So 5 year gaming PCs are attempted where as long as one can exceed the specs of an upcoming gaming machine it will at least play games until the console system is changed again. 

I think one of the reasons PC can last longer is also due to Microsoft no longer replace its OS (XP, 7, 8 ) but rather upgrade 10. They would usually (artificially) drop support for programs and hardware every couple of upgrades. Company would not make new drivers for HW...  

23 minutes ago, Craig Ferguson said:

I think one of the reasons PC can last longer is also due to Microsoft no longer replace its OS (XP, 7, ? but rather upgrade 10. They would usually (artificially) drop support for programs and hardware every couple of upgrades. Company would not make new drivers for HW... 

That appears to still be happening.