Slow LAN Data Transfer

MBlackjackX

My Plex server and my main PC each have their own gigabit connection to the router, I know for sure that each connection speed is gigabit. However, when I transfer files between them I only get up to 5MB/s (megabytes per second).

I should mention that each ethernet connection is done via powerline adapter. I have four of these in the house that all work together. But I don't think this is what is causing the issue however I could be wrong.

Please help me! :(

Powerline doesn't guarantee you Gigabit.  In fact, it almost always will never even be close to that.  Your PHY link is Gigabit, it's not the same as actual bandwidth.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

3 minutes ago, MBlackjackX said:

@Samfisher I agree with you, but you shouldn't lose 95% of the speed.

That totally depends on your electrical wiring.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

What powerline adapters are you using? Are they plugged straight into the wall, so not into a powerstrip?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

In my old house that was built in the mid 1970's I was seeing 10-25MB/s over a powerline connection.  In my new house I of course had CAT6 ran to every room but used the same powerline adapters to run a temporary line to my in-laws's RV when they visited and was getting a 80-90MB/s transfer rate so the condition of your wiring really can impact speed. 

On thing I found in my old house is that the adapters work best if they're on the first outlet of a circuit, most breakers/fuses have multiple outlets daisy chained together and I saw a 5-10MB/s improvement just by moving the adapter.  I was told it's because they're less affected by noise from other stuff running on the same circuit but I'm by no means a electrical engineer.

3 minutes ago, MBlackjackX said:

I see in some review they get 55.5MB/s transfer speeds.

Try plugging them into a closer socket and test just to see if they are close if they have faster speeds.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 hours ago, MBlackjackX said:

@Samfisher I agree with you, but you shouldn't lose 95% of the speed.

That’s the thing you can loose 95%. Power line adapters are hit or miss. They are pretty much like WiFi. Old wiring and High draw appliances on the same circuit(s) can cause issues. Distance also causes issues. Going through multiple breakers causes performance to drop. Depends on where you are in the world if you have multiple power phases in you home. As in the US we have 2 phases entering the home. Basically half the power panel is on one phase and the other half is on the other phase. While power line adapters may work on multiple phases performance will take a hit. 

Oh not to mention that if your electrical is not up to code you can also have issues. Newer adapters use all 3 wires. So your wiring needs to be done correctly. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Four powerline adapters will degrade your performance.

I have a 1200 powerline adapter out to my garage that has a server rack, the electrical runs are fairly long for a smallish house but it pegs out around 80 mbit or so (10 MB/sec).  The variables on wiring are pretty large, that's not a surprising transfer rate.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

Dang, this is really disappointing. I've used them a lot in the past but have never had an issue, but I'll do some testing with ethernet cables and post back here. Thanks guys.