RX 580

I'd first off like to say that I'm new to this forum and to PC building, and am looking to build my first gaming PC at a budget of around $500-$750. I wanted to know whether it would be possible to find a used RX 580 at a price of around $130 or less. If not, what other graphics cards would be applicable for this type of build? For reference, I want to play something like Watch Dogs or GTA V at 1080p 60 fps at around medium to high settings. As a sidenote, I also wanted to know whether $110 to $130 was a good price for a used Ryzen 5 2600, as I'm seeing that GTA V suggests a CPU with a clock speed of around 4 Gigahertz.

Thank you for your help

110-120$ isn‘t an amazing prize for a used 2600 especially now that there‘s basically the 1600 AF a 12nm version of it. A used rx 580 for that prize might be a little difficult unless you buy a cheap model or a mining card, idk if they are still a thing on used markets.

There are tons of RX580 for that price in ebay.

Yes $110 is a good price for 2600.

GTA5 will run perfectly with that combo, regardless if it runs 4ghz or not.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

So there's little difference between the 1600 and 2600 in terms of performance, just that the 1600 is cheaper? How would the combination of a 1600 and 580 work for the games I'm looking to play?

Also, I've found a used RX 580 for $120 on ebay. How would I make sure that something on ebay or amazon is trustworthy to purchase?

I apologize for all of the questions, I tend to have a lot of them. Thanks anyway

Is it US$? $120 on a used rx 580 isn't that great, imho, unless its with 8gb which is not really needed for 1080p. On the other hand, the rx 5500 or gtx 1650 super isn't that much more in price, and if you're saving a few bucks on the cpu with the 1600AF (12nm) Ryzen you may invest it on the gpu instead.

I usually try to buy used: Cpus and memory isn't much of a problem while gpus and mainboards are a different story. I'd usually just buy it when I'm able to pick it up in the area.

1 hour ago, Sir0Tek said:

unless its with 8gb which is not really needed for 1080p

What if I want to play in 2K resolution? 8 GB is enough?

5 hours ago, James Buckwas said:

I'd first off like to say that I'm new to this forum and to PC building, and am looking to build my first gaming PC at a budget of around $500-$750. I wanted to know whether it would be possible to find a used RX 580 at a price of around $130 or less. If not, what other graphics cards would be applicable for this type of build? For reference, I want to play something like Watch Dogs or GTA V at 1080p 60 fps at around medium to high settings. As a sidenote, I also wanted to know whether $110 to $130 was a good price for a used Ryzen 5 2600, as I'm seeing that GTA V suggests a CPU with a clock speed of around 4 Gigahertz.

Thank you for your help

Rx 580 for 130 is actually a bit expensive imo, I'd say 100 could be called a good deal.

4 hours ago, macforever said:

What if I want to play in 2K resolution? 8 GB is enough?

Most games will still do fine at 1440p/2K and 4gb only, especially when AA is disabled. Your framerate however will suffer first.

I'd get a 8GB model for sure, it's 2020. Games aren't going to become less demanding in the future, and some games already use over 8GB. Not many, yet, ofcourse..

28 minutes ago, Stockholmes said:

I'd get a 8GB model for sure, it's 2020. Games aren't going to become less demanding in the future, and some games already use over 8GB. Not many, yet, ofcourse..

The problem is, however, that the aged design of the rx 580 isn't at all that capable and no matter how much ram you'd stick to it it won't get any better with newer and more demanding titles. Instead of investing some bucks just to have this card with 8gb, investing it into the 5600xt (or similar) would be the much smarter choice. But it would probably break the budget, of course.

Just having 8gb instead of 4gb doesn't make the rx 570/580 any faster (*not much, at least, AA disabled), unlike it does with the gtx 1060, for example.

If on a budget, the 5500xt would either be at least as fast as the 8gb rx580, even new not much more expensive than a used rx 580, less power hungry and probably more 'future proof' anyway.

For now, I'm probably going to stick with the 2600, since that doesn't seem to be a bottleneck.

As for the graphics card, I'm probably going to stick with the RX 580, as the 5600 xt, even on amazon used, is about $200, which is out of the budget for my system. If that's not enough, I'll try to find a used 1060. Which would you guys recommend between the 580 and 1060?

6 minutes ago, James Buckwas said:

For now, I'm probably going to stick with the 2600, since that doesn't seem to be a bottleneck.

As for the graphics card, I'm probably going to stick with the RX 580, as the 5600 xt, even on amazon used, is about $200, which is out of the budget for my system. If that's not enough, I'll try to find a used 1060. Which would you guys recommend between the 580 and 1060?

RX 580 hands down.

6 minutes ago, James Buckwas said:

Both are fine for the games you've mentioned, the rx 580 will be cheaper as far as I can see, and it is quite a good card nonetheless. We just went ahead a few years with our thoughts...

I mean I'm fine lowering my settings to medium. And I'm only gonna be running at 1080p 60fps. So I doubt the 580 will be a bottleneck, even for future titles

1 hour ago, Sir0Tek said:

The problem is, however, that the aged design of the rx 580 isn't at all that capable and no matter how much ram you'd stick to it it won't get any better with newer and more demanding titles. Instead of investing some bucks just to have this card with 8gb, investing it into the 5600xt (or similar) would be the much smarter choice. But it would probably break the budget, of course.

Just having 8gb instead of 4gb doesn't make the rx 570/580 any faster (*not much, at least, AA disabled), unlike it does with the gtx 1060, for example.

If on a budget, the 5500xt would either be at least as fast as the 8gb rx580, even new not much more expensive than a used rx 580, less power hungry and probably more 'future proof' anyway.

Yup, totally agree with you there. 5600xt would be much better. Just wanted to point out that Vram does matter a lot in new games (if you want AA atleast, as you said).

12 hours ago, James Buckwas said:

I also wanted to know whether $110 to $130 was a good price for a used Ryzen 5 2600

Microcenter sells R5 2600X for $80 - https://www.microcenter.com/product/505629/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-36ghz-6-core-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

Thanks.

I know it's a broad range. I'm just still looking for a suitable case, motherboard, and power supply.

Also, how long does that deal last for?

The rx 580 is probably refurb or has been used in mining - dealer says it is used, so it's probably the latter. Come on, is there noone in your area selling one?

There's a Tier list for used gpus. Personally I might not take Asus but MSI, I would check user-reviews about the card that has your interest anyway.

If it's of any interest: rx570/470/480/580 are very similar to each other. There are various users who have switched their card into a higher version just by flashing a new compatible vbios. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 4:42 PM, Sir0Tek said:

Most games will still do fine at 1440p/2K and 4gb only, especially when AA is disabled. Your framerate however will suffer first.

Did you mean that memory size per se will not be a bottleneck, but performance of GPU will? 

Edit: Just realised this thread is a couple of weeks old so is probably no longer relevant but....

You can get a RTX2060 in at the top end of your budget, or a 5700 for somewhere around the same price if you dont mind using discount codes and mail in rebates. You could also go with a cheaper motherboard, the 1600 AF version, or a cheaper case without making much of a difference to your overall system speed to save some money.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($119.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Steel Legend ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($33.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($34.74 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($293.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $753.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-20 09:32 EST-0500