Best linux

Hi guys. So im waiting for my new MacBook pro to arrive, which i Am going to be using parallels with windows and linux on it. But im not quite sure what type of linux that would be right for my use. All i really need linux for is terminal, information gathering and testing, also for the tools and such.

I don't really know anything about linux at all, so that's another reason why i want to try linux. So Maybe a linux version that is not too complicated, but has the abilities that i mentioned would be best for me to start with?

Ubuntu is always good

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I think that Ubuntu is great for beginners

does it have all the tools that backtrack and kali linux Have?

Uh... Uh... I am not sure. I haven't really used Ubuntu, I just know that it is great for beginners. Hopefully somebody else knows.

Ubuntu is arguably the most used so I would say that it's doing something right and SteamOS is promising.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

You can always download tools. If you're already familiar with Linux pick up Arch Linux. It's one of the most light-weight distributions out there and you are in complete control of everything. However if what you want is the tools of Backtrack, why not just install Backtrack?

For the record Ubuntu does not come pre-installed with the tools from Backtrack, the only reason it's doing so well is because it's one of the most user friendly distributions, something which to many of us doesn't matter at all.

Ubuntu is arguably the most used so I would say that it's doing something right and SteamOS is promising.

is steamOS linux?

You can always download tools. If you're already familiar with Linux pick up Arch Linux. It's one of the most light-weight distributions out there and you are in complete control of everything. However if what you want is the tools of Backtrack, why not just install Backtrack?

it's really because i don't like the theme on backtrack. It just doesn't feel right, i know it sounds stupid, but i just don't feel that i would be satisfied with it. But is elementary or mint good for hacking and related?

SteamOS is a version of Debian

yes but debian is linux right?

yes but debian is linux right?

Correct. SteamOS is just a modded version of it

is steamOS linux?

Yes it's a modified version of something other then Ubuntu but I forget which one.

Edit: It was Debian.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Yes it's a modified version of something other then Ubuntu but I forget which one.

so steamOS is a modified version of debian (which i was told), and debian is a modified version of linux? Is linux an old OS, or kinda just like a base for every version?

it's really because i don't like the theme on backtrack. It just doesn't feel right, i know it sounds stupid, but i just don't feel that i would be satisfied with it. But is elementary or mint good for hacking and related?

I hope you mean penetration testing and not hacking. If you don't like the theme of Backtrack just change it, one of the many advantages of running Linux.

I hope you mean penetration testing and not hacking. If you don't like the theme of Backtrack just change it, one of the many advantages of running Linux.

penetration testing and hacking, but mostly white hat hehe. Hacking isn't always a bad thing you know, and doesn't mean that it's illigeal. Hacking is just changing stuff, that isn't supposed to be changed :)

penetration testing and hacking, but mostly white hat hehe. Hacking isn't always a bad thing you know, and doesn't mean that it's illigeal. Hacking is just changing stuff, that isn't supposed to be changed :)

Black hatting is ALWAYS illegal and ALWAYS both wrong and a bad thing. Look at it this way, by changing stuff you are practically impairing freedom of speech.

Black hatting is ALWAYS illegal and ALWAYS both wrong and a bad thing. Look at it this way, by changing stuff you are practically impairing freedom of speech.

white hacking isn't, and gray hat hacking isn't always illegal either. For example shutting your friends computer off, is just fun ;)

white hacking isn't, and gray hat hacking isn't always illegal either. For example shutting your friends computer off, is just fun ;)

White hats are great, generally we call those penetration testers and not hackers although whether or not you can actually be classified as a penetration tester often depends on employment. Harmlessly pranking friends is what started the whole hacking scene and in my opinion can be good fun, but going beyond this point should be a big no no for everyone with the slightest sense of conscience.

White hats are great, generally we call those penetration testers and not hackers although whether or not you can actually be classified as a penetration tester often depends on employment. Harmlessly pranking friends is what started the whole hacking scene and in my opinion can be good fun, but going beyond this point should be a big no no for everyone with the slightest sense of conscience.

i agree, but i think that sometimes it's good that there are people on the Internet that is willing to cross the lines to defend what they think is right, to a certain limit. For example anonymous. As long as they don't do anything really stupid and really mess up for other people, i think it's allright what they do. For example when people make sites about how wrong it is being gay and stuff, in my opinion that shouldn't Even be allowed. But unfortantly it is, so i think it is ok that they take down websites like that. Even though it brakes the freedom of speech thing. But where i think the nono is, ks when people are hacking stuff for money and for just making trouble for people, that's really the limit for me

so steamOS is a modified version of debian (which i was told), and debian is a modified version of linux? Is linux an old OS, or kinda just like a base for every version?

Linux is the Kernel, originally developed by Linus Torvalds, used in the Linux Operating Systems.

Most of the Linuxes use GNU Tools, which Is why the Linuxes are often referred to as GNU/Linux.

There is no one "best Linux". Each release of Linux, which is meant to be referred to a distribution (get used to doing that ffs) is designed with a different use case in mind and the people who make it generally make different choices during development, however, distributions tend to group together and be fairly similar with only a few minor differences between them.

A good distribution for you to start out with would be Ubuntu or Fedora. These are both solid releases that will work on your hardware without any major or minor issues. Both of these have good release cycles, 6 months for Ubuntu and around 6 to 8 months for Fedora (sometimes it can take longer for things to be ready). There are also different spins of Ubuntu, like Kubuntu or Ubuntu Gnome Remix that incorporates a different user interface by default rather than you having to install it.

If you would like a rolling release, in which every single package is always the latest stable version available (including the kernel and other key system components which has the potential to break or majorly change your user experience) then I'd recommend Arch Linux or anything based off of it. Antergos and Manjaro are good examples of releases that will install Arch Linux for you via a GUI rather than you having to deal with a fully command line installer.

If you would like something like Windows, so you have to reinstall with every release, then try Linux Mint. Be warned though, the Mint developers make some poor design decisions and hold back key updates, including security updates, for "stability reasons". So, going from kernel 3.15.0 to 3.15.1 (for example, not actual release numbers) for bug fixes and security patches, you have to enable the option to install these updates rather than it doing it by default which could be a security issue for your system.

If you have any other questions about choosing a Linux distribution then ask away.

what do you think of elementary? I think it looks really Nice, but im not sure if it has the things im looking for

i agree, but i think that sometimes it's good that there are people on the Internet that is willing to cross the lines to defend what they think is right, to a certain limit. For example anonymous. As long as they don't do anything really stupid and really mess up for other people, i think it's allright what they do. For example when people make sites about how wrong it is being gay and stuff, in my opinion that shouldn't Even be allowed. But unfortantly it is, so i think it is ok that they take down websites like that. Even though it brakes the freedom of speech thing. But where i think the nono is, ks when people are hacking stuff for money and for just making trouble for people, that's really the limit for me

You have to remember that being against homosexuals is an opinion just as valid as my opinion that those people are idiots. Everyone has the right to fight for their course, and obstructing this is impairing freedom of speech, no matter how discriminating their opinion is. This is what we call democracy and it exists for a reason. Anti-gay sites, sites that preach Nazism etc really only affect the people who agree with them as the rest of us will just ignore them, so defacing them really makes no sense except for pissing off the owners and making them feel even more intensely about their course. As long as these people are not physically harming other people I really think the safest way for everyone is to just leave peoples stuff alone.

It is based off of Ubuntu and it uses their software centre at the moment but they have their own in the works. I wouldn't say no to running it.

ok :)

It is based off of Ubuntu and it uses their software centre at the moment but they have their own in the works. I wouldn't say no to running it.

Elementry is really pretty, however I have found that its window manager doesn't seem to play well with wine apps. I switched to Xubuntu with the plank dock and got the best of both worlds  B)

Edit: I also find Xubuntu to be a much more mature os. Elementary os is still kinda fresh to the market. It has a lot of potential though!  Can't wait to see where they go in a few years. 

Rig specs: 3930k | 32GB RAM | GTX580 | Asus PB278 | Corsair K90 | Logitech G700 | HD558's