PC market dominance

T.Vengeance

I don't get it. How is AMD not dominating the PC market. They own APU on both desktop and laptops. They own graphics cards (also, their GPUs are used for so sooo much mining). They own every CPU that goes into the PS4 + XBONE. And they own CPUs. But they as a company aren't much stronger than Intel. What gives? 

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

well the consoles dont count towards the PC market, and intel also has "APU's" in desktops and laptops and NUC's.  They also dominate the high end PC market as the only options, although that isn't the majority.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

A year ago AMD were on the brink of falling. They've done amazingly well to get back up this far in a space of a year  ^_^

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

From Finnish point of view, the CPU market on pre-made desktops and laptops are purely dominated by Intel. I can't remember the last time I saw an advertisement for a computer with AMD CPU around here. On GPU side, Nvidia has been quite a bit more popular in the last few years, but AMD seems to be gaining some ground with its "new" GPUs.

A year ago AMD were on the brink of falling. They've done amazingly well to get back up this far in a space of a year  ^_^

Very true, thankfully they are still putting up competition.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Just because they have all of those divisions doesn't mean they sell well or sell as well as their competitors.

Yeah I had that very thought in mind too. It's just so mind boggling that in every one of those divisions, they either own 1 of 1, or 1 of 2. Consoles, they own all the cpus. GFX cards, 1 of 2. APUs 1 of 2 (though theirs being better than Intel's), etc.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Source?

Their stock price dipped below 2.0 in 2012, but it has grown steadily since last year.

everyone has a share. and thats the thing they don`t own...nothing.

intel on laptops are huge compared to amd laptops.why?because what intel does first,its for laptops.

apu in desktop...there is allways something better.

on gpu i remember thay have a bigger market share than nvidia but even there its dominated by intel.

also low end,mid end and especially high end are also dominated by intel. thats sad but what can you do when they don`t bring something new? the performance per core is almost the same as 5 years ago.with about the same tdp. i mean remember bulldozer, performance per core is worse than previous gen

It's easy to forget that ATI cards had some pretty bad generations. Don't get me wrong, Nvidia had some bad generations too but more often than not they've been leading in both raw performance and performance*price ratios for a good while.

The same goes for intel vs AMD: AMD has been consistent in their performance*price ratio lately, but if you go back some generations their processors were so far behind it didn't really matter that performance*price was better because performance was too far behind

-------

Current Rig

-------

Looking at prebuilt PCs, the vast, vast majority of these are Intel based and of the few that even have dedicated GPUs they are nearly always nvidia.

This battle is the same in other markets, whether it be Toyota vs Nissan, Ford vs Cheverolet, McDonalds vs Jack in the Box, etc...

They all go up and down between each other and its basically a way to get in the headlines for free advertising, they co-exist and will continue to do so, they both benefit from competing with each other and would be the lesser of who they are today without the other. For some this is a new angle but its been played out for centuries, just the next one or latest.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.