ROG Strix 570-I - Need help adjusting AIO_PUMP header so that fan speed can be adjusted

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Noctua fan plugged into the AIO_PUMP header of my Asus ROG Strix 570-I motherboard. Since the fan is plugged into that header, it is running at full speed. It's much louder than my other fans so I would love to have the ability to adjust this fan like I can my other ones. The other two headers are occupied and work great.

In the BIOS, I've tried switching the AIO_PUMP setting from DC to PMW like I have seen others recommending and using. This hasn't worked for me though.

I also tried SpeedFan to see if I can adjust it through that application but I haven't had luck with that either. Since I don't have the ability to adjust that fan in the BIOS, I don't think SpeedFan recognizes that fan.

Can any of you recommend another course of action?

I really appreciate any help!

Here's a link to the motherboard if that helps: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-X570-I-Gaming/overview/

Have you tried changing the fan curve with AI Suite?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

8 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I haven't tried that yet. I wasn't aware of that software. I finally found the download so I'll give it a shot and report back to you. Thanks!

If you can't do it in Qfan control in the UEFI, then AI suite can't do it either.

The motherboards are usually hardwired so you have no control of pump headers, they're designed to run at full speed.

Plug your fans into a different header, use a splitter if you have to.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Splitter. Is this fan used just for airflow in the case (intake, exhaust)?

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If you can't do it in Qfan control in the UEFI, then AI suite can't do it either.

The motherboards are usually hardwired so you have no control of pump headers, they're designed to run at full speed.

Plug your fans into a different header, use a splitter if you have to.

I'm actually able to adjust the speeds using AI Suite which is kind of strange. I thought since I couldn't do it in the BIOS that I wouldn't be able to do it in their software.

If it doesn't run properly over the next few days then a splitter in my next option.

16 minutes ago, Envit0 said:

Splitter. Is this fan used just for airflow in the case (intake, exhaust)?

Yes, this fan is for the intake at the front of the case. It seems I can adjust the AIO_PUMP fan speed through AI Suite. I'm going to keep an eye on it but a splitter is my next option. I would have to split the exhaust and intake fans. I'm not sure if that would cause any issues.

36 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

AI Suite made a big difference. I'm going to keep an eye on things over the next few days but they seem good so far!

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

• 1 year later...

If you prefer an option that does not require installing AI Suite, there is a way to do this in Bios manually. Although the Qfan Control utility will always set the AIO Pump header to 100%, you can manually override it. 

Monitor -> Q-Fan Configuration -> Q-Fan Tuning -> Chassis Fan Configuration -> AIO PUMP Control -> Change this to PWM mode