Capping FPS dilemma.

extory
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
18 minutes ago, extory said:

1. Do I need to cap the fps to match the monitor if the game runs faster than the monitor. (CSGO runs >200 even the monitor only outputs 144.)

It depends. If the FPS is faster than the monitor's refresh rate, it'll still show image tearing but it's less noticeable. You can however, enable Fast Sync, which makes it so the monitor grabs the last rendered frame while still allowing the GPU to run as fast as possible, which helps minimize input lag.

2. Should I cap the fps to 60 to get smoother gameplay if the game has choppy framerate. (Metro Exodus runs between 55~170, It's playable but the stuttering is noticable.)

It'll help the dips look less jarring, but that's about it.

Hello,

I couldn't find a good answer to my issue, so I wanted to ask to people with experience.

I have 2 questions;

1. Do I need to cap the fps to match the monitor if the game runs faster than the monitor. (CSGO runs >200 even the monitor only outputs 144.)

2. Should I cap the fps to 60 to get smoother gameplay if the game has choppy framerate. (Metro Exodus runs between 55~170, It's playable but the stuttering is noticable.)

I have a 144hz 2560x1080 ultrawide monitor with GSync enabled.

As you can see this is not really my area of interest. What is the best way to approach?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I thought I had tearing when running 4k60 G-sync compatible display at above 60 fps. I used the frame rate limiter added to a recent driver release to limit at 58fps, and that seems to have got around it.

Edit: have to watch that video later :) 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

For games like CS-GO i would recommend uncapped, regardless of refresh rate you will always have the latest frame.

For metro where m/s don't really matter capping your frame rate may result in a smoother experience.

What is your monitors G-Sync range?

It depends. If the FPS is faster than the monitor's refresh rate, it'll still show image tearing but it's less noticeable. You can however, enable Fast Sync, which makes it so the monitor grabs the last rendered frame while still allowing the GPU to run as fast as possible, which helps minimize input lag.

9 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

For games like CS-GO i would recommend uncapped, regardless of refresh rate you will always have the latest frame.

For metro where m/s don't really matter capping your frame rate may result in a smoother experience.

What is your monitors G-Sync range?

Isn't all G-Sync monitors operate from 0 to the max refresh rate of the monitor?

6 minutes ago, extory said:

Isn't all G-Sync monitors operate from 0 to the max refresh rate of the monitor?

Think it can vary. Is your monitor an LG by any chance?

3 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Think it can vary. Is your monitor an LG by any chance?

No, I have an Acer Predator z301c. Which is actually 200hz monitor though 144hz is more than enough for me.

19 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Yeah it seams I need to experiment with it further. Thank you it'll help a lot.

56 minutes ago, extory said:

Native G-sync is, but G-sync compatible is not. My TV is G-sync compatible, and has a low limit of 40 fps. G-sync compatible requires at least a 2.4x ratio between min and max working range. e.g. 144 Hz display needs to support down to 60fps at least.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible