Need information about RAM and if it makes sense

Taches
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
14 minutes ago, Taches said:

So I currently have a Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 (yes yes I know it's DDR3) 2x4 kit at 1600mhz and would like to get more ram.

I was thinking of getting another Corsair Vengeance kit to add to it. It is a DDR3 2x8 kit also at 1600mhz. 

My question is would it work fine or would I run in to some sort of problem in any way?

DDR3 in general is not that picky and I have never had any issues mixing memory. I especially do not foresee any problem with the same speed kit, even though the capacity is different.

I would say you're good here, but with memory I always recommend buying from a place with a decent return policy.

So I currently have a Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 (yes yes I know it's DDR3) 2x4 kit at 1600mhz and would like to get more ram.

I was thinking of getting another Corsair Vengeance kit to add to it. It is a DDR3 2x8 kit also at 1600mhz. 

My question is would it work fine or would I run in to some sort of problem in any way?

14 minutes ago, Taches said:

DDR3 in general is not that picky and I have never had any issues mixing memory. I especially do not foresee any problem with the same speed kit, even though the capacity is different.

I would say you're good here, but with memory I always recommend buying from a place with a decent return policy.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, minibois said:

Would there be problem if I got a kit that is not 1600mhz?

2 minutes ago, Taches said:

Would there be problem if I got a kit that is not 1600mhz?

Your motherboard is the 'boss' of the RAM and it will apply a speed to all the sticks in the system. When it sees you have some slower RAM it will match all the other RAM to the slowest in the system.

Unless you're getting 2133Mhz memory (which I have seen give issues on many board), I don't foresee any issues. But there is not really a need to get slower or faster memory.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Your motherboard is the 'boss' of the RAM and it will apply a speed to all the sticks in the system. When it sees you have some slower RAM it will match all the other RAM to the slowest in the system.

Unless you're getting 2133Mhz memory (which I have seen give issues on many board), I don't foresee any issues. But there is not really a need to get slower or faster memory.

Alright thank you a lot I will buy that 2x8 kit then I appreciate the help!