USB-C Laptop Charger

Hello everyone,

I resolved to ask for your help as I recently bought a teclast laptop for work and I need some enlightment on usb-c charging.

Fact is that the laptop was supplied to me with its original charger which outputs 12V/2A=24W total.

In order to play on the safer side I decided to buy a usb-c charger and a proper C-to-C cable in order to avoid using the (probably "el-cheapo") original one.

I bought an Aukey PA-D1 charger and a CB-CMD38 cable. Fact is that the charger actually outputs 12V/2.5A (instead of 12V/2A as the original charger).

In my past experience I knew I had to pay attention to Voltage (it had to be exactly the one required by the laptop) but the Voltage could be higer.

Considering I'm dealing with usb-c Power Delivery I wonder if I should pay attention to something else.

I don't wanna fry the laptop :)

I hope someone can help me to shed some light on this or eventally guide me to the appropriate section.

Thank You for your kind help

As long as the voltage the charger outputs is compatible with what the device wants (USB-C PD has several voltage profiles), the only thing that you need to look for is how many amps (A) the charger can output. The bare minimum you should get is whatever the original charger provided. Otherwise as long as any other charger provides a value equal to or higher than that, it's fine.

Thank you a lot for your kind explanation and help.

12 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

As long as the voltage the charger outputs is compatible with what the device wants (USB-C PD has several voltage profiles), the only thing that you need to look for is how many amps (A) the charger can output. The bare minimum you should get is whatever the original charger provided. Otherwise as long as any other charger provides a value equal to or higher than that, it's fine.

Also devices will never take more than they are able to. I use a 50W~ charger for my iPhone, switch + controller and MacBook And all are fine. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Jus a quick update (and case report  for future reference):

Noticing some buzz coming from the laptp when the charger was connected I decided to buy a usb meter in order to check the voltages:

To my surprise the meter displayed that the Aukey charger was delivering 14V/1.90A (higher voltage profile) instead of what I was expecting (12V/2A).

I double checked with the charger that came with the laptop in order to make sure the readings were calibrated and it showed 11..8V/2.2A so that one should be safe.

I immediately stopped using the Aukey one.

I checked the manual again just in case I missed something but I didn't find anything regarding voltage regulation.

I'm scared that the system might not be negotiating Power Delivery correctly.

Ironically I bought the new charger in order to avoid exactly something like this...

Is there anything I can do in order to sort this out or is it better to send the Aukey charger back and have it replaced with something else?

Than you for your kind support

Last Update:

I tested also some other PD usb-c chargers (Trust 45w/60w, Cellular Line 30w/18w)

All of them drew 14/15 Volts when connected to the pc (except the 18W one that wasn't able to set on a precise voltage and kept working intermittently between 10 and 5 Volts)

Just wanted to share my experience for future reference.