When did you learn how to type?

Nine Tailed Fox

Took a typing class in high school that was super boring but despite not taking it too seriously it still taught me how to type pretty quickly.

I never learnt to be honest, I just got on a computer and with time I got the hang of it. I mean I find that I use the whole of my left hand mainly when typing and only using the index finger on my right hand and the pinky only for backspace.

Junior high, 1987-1988. I learned on an electric typewriter. Half the class had the fancy ones that could correct mistakes, and the other half had to suffer. It was a mad rush for machines when we first got to class each day.

We also had a limited number of Apple IIe's - I think it was like one for every 3 students in the class. We learned basic programming on those.

At home I had a Commodore 64 that I gamed on. I'd get the magazines that had program code written out in them and spend hours programming on it just to make it play a song or draw a picture.

Never really liked homerow tbh. I just hit the right keys with the closest finger. I can somewhat type blindly. But since I think slower than I type it's not a huge issue.

My Step Father worked in IT and helped me when I was really young with setting up old PC's with learning how to type. Also typing classes in Elementary School. 

I didn't really learn to type well until I was in college.  I had a keyboarding and a formatting class in high school but it wasn't until college, I had to write a ton of reports, that I really learned where the keys were on the keyboard and how to type quickly.  High school was a hunt and peck style of typing, mostly index fingers. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"