Music - How do i make it?

ANUPLUCIFERGAMER

Hey guys! So, I'm looking into Music Making now. I'm already into Programmimg, so after I finish some part of it, I'll try to start music making. Well, I got inspired by @brownninja97's music :D

I love it. But, What would be required to make good music? I heard that FL 11 is good. Steam also has some Music Creating Softwares (Sonar, etc). What all hardwares are required for this? Which would be a good Sound card? Is 7.1 channel speaker configuration necessary?

Almost, I need to know these basics and then I can start it :)

Any help is appreciated

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

bang pots and pans together 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I hear FL is good. I know a few official producers who use that software for music production. As Sonartica said, there are many tutorials on youtube and you don't require a Mac to use it.

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Buy a guitar and start learning.

But you're interested in electronic music? There's FL Studio, I don't think it's free... Just bear that in mind. Also a lot of electronic music creators use external peripherals to create the sounds like programmable keyboards or those little 'pads' with buttons or whatever.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

for messing around and ease of use try acid, and audacity or soundforge for loop editing.  You can have some fun while developing the basics of looping and song structure.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Make noises in different orders and tones, whether you make a long noise with a high frequency and then high, high, low, med or a short noise with medium frequencies like med, med, low, high. That's pretty much a song since all songs are just noises at different frequencies ;) it's true though!

If you can't make the noises your self then maybe consider using Magix music maker, they have a preset collection of noises you can use else use FL studio since you can make the noises 100% yourself in there.

I'm no music pro but this is what I believe would be useful to know.

I have used FL Studio for years, it's the best program I've ever had the pleasure of using. Seriously I think it is amazing, the community on their forums is great and you can even talk to the devs there! Producers like Madeon, Deadmau5, Seamless, BT all use FL Studio to create great music.

If you do decide to buy it you can use my affiliate link for 10% off http://affiliate.image-line.com/ECHFDAJ485

EDIT: Make sure you get producer edition, or the signature bundle.

Pilates

I am a pianist of 8 years and I am also learning fruity loops for electronic music. I have used it before for mixing my recordings.
I have an I7 2600 and 8 gb of ram everything else in the computer isn't important runs fine. Running on a I5 laptop with 8gb of ram chugs don't know why.

Speakers- http://www.pashop.com/products/detail/MAudio/Studiophile-AV-40/?gclid=CNnx6MT0yLwCFatcMgodSHAAFg they're not Monitors but they are damn good for the price

headphones-Sennheiser hd598 there are better headphones for less so check another part of the forum, I hear good things about the ATH-m50s

sound card isn't nessesary but I am using a Yamaha audiogram 6 as a USB output, just get a DAC if you must.

Now coming from a Piano background I have trouble with the piano role input, It feels alien to me and I wish I had a small midi piano infront of me so that I could feel the notes that I am playing, that might not be something you want to look into but it is an option.

As you play with it you'll learn to recognize the fruity loops sound and be able to hear when a song was made in FL studio, but by that time you'll probably have found some pluggins that you can work with, one taht I recommend is Massive from Native instruments, it's a pretty versatile synth but can be intimidating at first glance. It will take about a week give or take to learn to use it well enough to make anything good but it's not too hard

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

A dash of talent and a pinch of music theory go a long way, too.

Talent is a word made up by lazy people as an excuse to not practice or learn

1385332243948.png

I"LL SCRATCH YOUR EYES OUT...lol ;)

When my production testicle itches, I use my ancient copy of Reason 5. Doesn't really need external peripherals.

Hey guys! So, I'm looking into Music Making now. I'm already into Programmimg, so after I finish some part of it, I'll try to start music making. Well, I got inspired by @brownninja97's music :D

I love it. But, What would be required to make good music? I heard that FL 11 is good. Steam also has some Music Creating Softwares (Sonar, etc). What all hardwares are required for this? Which would be a good Sound card? Is 7.1 channel speaker configuration necessary?

Almost, I need to know these basics and then I can start it :)

Any help is appreciated

Hey thanks for the shoutout, I used FL10, havent used fl11 but i assume its better, i used hydrogen which is free a while back(all the song i made with it got taken down, no idea why)

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I have used FL Studio for years, it's the best program I've ever had the pleasure of using. Seriously I think it is amazing, the community on their forums is great and you can even talk to the devs there! Producers like Madeon, Deadmau5, Seamless, BT all use FL Studio to create great music.

If you do decide to buy it you can use my affiliate link for 10% off http://affiliate.image-line.com/ECHFDAJ485

EDIT: Make sure you get producer edition, or the signature bundle.

cant agree more, its friggin awesome. I got a 90% off voucher from my father when he got a promotion which got me fl10, after a bit of messing around(for months) i started to get rhymes and stuff, still if you look at my songs they have a simple repetitive beat and then i add stuff to that and i like looping, thats fun. Takes a bloody long time however. not sure how long ill keep it up for.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Also, FL Studio has lifetime free updates so you'll never have to pay for an update again :D

Pilates

You need a quill, a pot of ink, a manuscript, and piano in front of you.

Or if you're more modern, Sibelius 7 and

a piano (and a printer)

On a more serious note I use Sibelius, but it might be difficult if you can't read music. You might also want to try out Cubase, which I used in school.

Main RigCPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x @ 4.7 Ghz w/ Corsair H115i Elite Capellix | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 Ti XC3 | MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X570-E | RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600 mhz | Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W | Mouse: Glorious Model O (Matte Black) | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance RGB K95 | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2 + Samsung 870 QVO 1 TB + Toshiba X300 4 TB

LAN Rig: CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4 Ghz w/ Antec Kuhler H2O 920 | GPU: EVGA GTX 760 | MOBO: MSI Z87I Mini-ITX | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 2133mhz | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Mini-ITX | PSU: Corsair CX550 550W | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Talent is a word made up by lazy people as an excuse to not practice or learn

Talent is a word that describes an innate skill set that is either obtained easily or without external influence.  The lack of talent also describes a skill set that cannot be obtained regardless of how much effort is put into learning and practice.  For one thing timing is not something that can be taught, you can either practice and become good or you can practice and realise your motor control function will not physically allow you to maintain timing.  Telling people it is an excuse not to practice is like telling a paraplegic the wheelchair is an excuse not to walk.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I need to look into the new fruity loops suite, I haven't used it in, what, three or four years coming up?! Damn, back in the day when I used to produce average sounding electronic music for my Bebo channel!

#!

Talent is a word that describes an innate skill set that is either obtained easily or without external influence.  The lack of talent also describes a skill set that cannot be obtained regardless of how much effort is put into learning and practice.  For one thing timing is not something that can be taught, you can either practice and become good or you can practice and realise your motor control function will not physically allow you to maintain timing.  Telling people it is an excuse not to practice is like telling a paraplegic the wheelchair is an excuse not to walk.

Yeah, I suppose that my teaching myself how to play piano, guitar, violin, bass, chello, and mandolin was inate skill and not thousands of hours of anger inducing practice, that when I finish learning german that was an inate skill and not years of practice, being the go to tech guy in my family is based on skills that I was born into and not years of study, trial and error. "Yes, I'll admit that no matter how much practice I put in, I'll never be in the NBA because I'm too short", said Earl Boykins never. He trained, he wasn't born with the height to be an NBA player he trained to stand on that level. And I disagree with "Telling people [talent] is an excuse not to practice is like telling a paraplegic the wheelchair is an excuse not to walk." It's more like telling a paraplegic that the wheel chair is an excuse to give up trying to walk, yeah it may seem hopless and it might make you cry at times but your not getting any better by sitting in that chair.

Yeah, I suppose that my teaching myself how to play piano, guitar, violin, bass, chello, and mandolin was inate skill and not thousands of hours of anger inducing practice, that when I finish learning german that was an inate skill and not years of practice, being the go to tech guy in my family is based on skills that I was born into and not years of study, trial and error. "Yes, I'll admit that no matter how much practice I put in, I'll never be in the NBA because I'm too short", said Earl Boykins never. He trained, he wasn't born with the height to be an NBA player he trained to stand on that level. And I disagree with "Telling people [talent] is an excuse not to practice is like telling a paraplegic the wheelchair is an excuse not to walk." It's more like telling a paraplegic that the wheel chair is an excuse to give up trying to walk, yeah it may seem hopless and it might make you cry at times but your not getting any better by sitting in that chair.

Are you suggesting that paraplegics CAN walk?

Some people learn certain things easier than others, which is not a discount on hard work if it takes it. Some people cannot learn certain things, which is not a demeaning fault of their person.

Honestly, I'm sensing some unfounded hostility here. I'm sorry if people in your life have disreagarded all your hard work, but that was not the intent of my initial post.

yikes, you'd better go do some research on the human body, the brain is no different to the physical body when it comes to abilities, E.G My son cannot read, it is not through lack of trying, we have do everything we can, the whole special programs, psychologists, counselors, occupational therapy, plus 1000's of hours of home teaching.  He just can't do it, he may as well be trying to read another language.  The diagnosis is simple, he is wired differently and reading is not a skill set he can learn so Please stop telling me that all people need to do is stop being lazy.

I already gave you a classic example of how someone cannot play music due to the structure of the central nervous system,  but if you honestly think a paraplegic can walk by trying then you are seriously deluded about this topic.

Are you suggesting that paraplegics CAN walk?

I'm working around as best I can with his simile, it's difficult to work with something as concrete as...physically being broken, what I'm trying to get across is that quiting stops progression and in that moment and when you quit, whats your excuse, if it's because your not getting as good as someone else or as good as you want to be fast enough, then your using talent as an exuse. "What? You spend 10 hours a day playing piano? I wish I could be as talented as you."- the single most stupid thing anyone has ever said to me

I already gave you a classic example of how someone cannot play music due to the structure of the central nervous system,  but if you honestly think a paraplegic can walk by trying then you are seriously deluded about this topic.

I gave you the "classic example" of a 5'5" man playing in the NBA. I don't think a paraplegic can walk with shear diligents and dedication. I think that maybe I should have made the arguement that it was more like using the chair as an exuse to stop going outside, but I made my best arguement and I don't think it was a bad one.