Linux outperforms Windows by 48% in A Hat in Time

ryao

The frame rates are 48% higher than stock Windows. If you use DXVK on Windows to render using Vulkan, the frame rates increase by 25%. Valve’s improvements to the Linux graphics drivers were not used because a bug caused hangs. When the bug is fixed, Linux should perform even better. This was with a Vega 56 graphics card. The full system specifications are in the video description.

-Moved to PC Gaming-

Please make sure to read the posting guidelines for Tech News before posting

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, comander said:

Usually when I see things like this, I expect that some calculation (or set of calculations) is just being outright skipped. 

You can watch the video. Nothing was skipped. Linux is just that much more efficient at rendering this game on AMD graphics hardware than Windows.

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

-Moved to PC Gaming-

Please make sure to read the posting guidelines for Tech News before posting

This is news. Valve’s work in getting Linux to be faster is paying off. Also, I did a summary of things.

12 minutes ago, ryao said:

This is news. Valve’s work in getting Linux to be faster is paying off. Also, I did a summary of things.

Never said it wasn't. We have specific guidelines to follow for tech news:

Though, I wouldn't count this one YouTube video as a credible source for news.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 hour ago, comander said:

Usually when I see things like this, I expect that some calculation (or set of calculations) is just being outright skipped. 

I don’t.   Or rather I do because someone or other is trying to make a point, but the issue has been around for 30 years.  I’ve seen tests like this get done time and time again, and they’re always a bit tweaked because the people doing them have an agenda and can’t help themselves.  Sometimes they’re pro Linux, sometimes they’re pro mac, sometimes they’re pro windows.  They generally wind up saying more or less the same thing:

Am64 just isn’t that great.  But it’s not terrible either.  What’s surprising about it really is how little it sucks.  

Am64 has inertia, and it’s got a whole heck of a lot of it.  All of the various systems and OSes and whatnot are pretty close to each other performance wise.  Wintel, a word with more or less no meaning anymore but still describes the concept.  Is not in front performance wise and never has been.  It’s in the back now.  There were things farther in the back.  68k Macintosh was worse.  AppleDOS was worse. MSDOS was worst of all.   Part of the problem really. That’s really about it though.  What it has is development.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Amazing.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

So the game use DX9, make sense. I get better performance using DXVK in Guildwars 2 compare to native DX9 as well. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

So the game use DX9, make sense. I get better performance using DXVK in Guildwars 2 compare to native DX9 as well. 

If it is converting DX9 into Vulkan, welp.

-----

So I don't know if it's really a case of "Windows vs. Linux" or "DirectX vs Vulkan" so much as it is "old vs new"