Power surge protector

PositiveRaisin2

I’m looking for a good surge protector that also protects the Ethernet. I have a 4770k and a 1070.

16 hours ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

I’m looking for a good surge protector that also protects the Ethernet. I have a 4770k and a 1070.

I usually recommend theses from APC, but anything with a brand name and decent surge rating will do the job. Ones like Belkin, Cyberpower, Tripplite, Eaton, Phillips, GE and such are good options to just name a few.  Ethernet doesn't need grounding as it's done so via your networking equipment. 

https://www.amazon.com/APC-11-Outlet-Protector-SurgeArrest-P11U2/dp/B017VXU6GG

8 hours ago, W-L said:

I usually recommend theses from APC, but anything with a brand name and decent surge rating will do the job. Ones like Belkin, Cyberpower, Tripplite, Eaton, Phillips, GE and such are good options to just name a few.  Ethernet doesn't need grounding as it's done so via your networking equipment. 

https://www.amazon.com/APC-11-Outlet-Protector-SurgeArrest-P11U2/dp/B017VXU6GG

I head that the Ethernet could fry the pc in the event of a lightning strike

I suspect conditions where a person lives sort of dictates what products they need and only you know that situation.?️

I live in a rural wooded area that often has fast violent thunder storms in summer with power outages in winter and summer. Mostly in winter though. Plus on the rural road I live on I think we have always gotten a lot more of what they call voltage peaking at high demand times. So I use everything. ?

I use a whole house surge protector( I think was about $80.00 US). I have always bought APC UPS' for my most important equipment (anywhere from $70.00 US to expensive). I also put cheaper surge protector only devices on everything else (Belkins and others ($10.00 to $40.00 US). Heck I even put cheaper surge protector only devices on my oil furnace and treadmill because even they have been damaged before from small surges.

If you do a google search on "how surge protectors work" you will get a bunch of sites that will show you what to look for in good surge protectors, UPS and just surge. Like I said I think it depends on how bad your situation is where you live. You may not have to spend much money but then again you might need too. 

Hope that helps. ?

1 hour ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

I head that the Ethernet could fry the pc in the event of a lightning strike

In an event of a lighting your surge protector will do very little, it is designed to sacrifice itself before damaging anything down the line but due to the large amount of energy it’s not a guarantee. There are devices specifically to prevent those events from occurring but are usually whole home setups. 

Ethernet will not have a problem unless you are using in an aerial setup or have it running to different buildings.

33 minutes ago, W-L said:

In an event of a lighting your surge protector will do very little, it is designed to sacrifice itself before damaging anything down the line but due to the large amount of energy it’s not a guarantee. There are devices specifically to prevent those events from occurring but are usually whole home setups. 

Ethernet will not have a problem unless you are using in an aerial setup or have it running to different buildings.

What is an aerial setup? 

43 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

When you said ethernet did you really mean phone line protection?

No. I read about a surge going they Ethernet 

17 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

No. I read about a surge going they Ethernet 

I can support the existence of surge protectors being used on rj connectors in that ive seen them.  They used to be quite common.  It was back in the days of dialup though.  They weren’t rj45, they were phone jacks.  Phone lines go outside. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

What is an aerial setup? 

Running ethernet in the air like power cables outside from building to building. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Running ethernet in the air like power cables outside from building to building. 

So what if I had an outdoor Ethernet run

23 minutes ago, PositiveRaisin2 said:

So what if I had an outdoor Ethernet run

Then an rj45 surge protector might make more sense.  Still not a whole lot for home use.  Generally when aerial stuff is done there is a steel cable the ethernet is more or less wound around because ethernet cord doesn’t have a lot of strength. It can’t support an aerial run by itself.  There is a fiber “string” in there often to provide strength for things like vertical drop runs but it can generally only support that.  Ground the cable and surge protection isn’t that big a deal.  The things probably exist.  Both because they have an occasional use for specific situations and because if people will buy it someone will sell it.  Do you need one for inside building use?  Probably not.

Does your ethernet cable run from outside to inside?