part shopping stories

It can be weird,interesting or just getting a good deal just share em if you want to.

5 hours ago, BFGmaster said:

It can be weird,interesting or just getting a good deal just share em if you want to.

I found a CRT monitor in the trash, it needed some adjustments on the inside and I got it good enough. I love how nice games look at 1600x1200 res with no motion blur and vibrant colors. Best $0 ever spent.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

Found a 1080p 21" monitor on the curb. It was covered in spray paint and scotch tape. Took it home, cleaned it off, and now it's my main monitor.

Also had a big scare when I bought the parts for my current pc (on profile). I got most of it from Amazon, and something happened where they canceled the whole order (wasn't my bank that did it). So I had to reorder everything, which went well the second time 'round. However, Amazon had charged me for both transactions, in excess of 1,500 USD each. I tried contacting support, but was connected with *ah-hem* someone who wears a jewel on their forehead to symbolize marriage and didn't quite understand English well. She kept telling me that the charge was there because they precharge your card and that my stuff was on its way. But she wasn't understanding how I was charged twice. So I asked to speak to an American and she flat out said "No, you are not understanding." And basically ended the chat.

I went to my bank (which is actually a credit union) and told them the situation. They waived the first transaction, no problem. Got my parts in, and have been happy since.

Went well bro the local pawn shop and saw a prebuilt Lenovo computer that was an actual full case. I booted it up and looked at the specs. I got excited to internally and bought it. Got it for $75 USD. It had a Gigabyte Z87 mobo with an I7 4770K with 16 gigs of Patriot Ram. Also had a 1 tb hdd and a 12 tb iron wolf drive in it. PSU was crap but it did have a 780Ti as well. I kept the drives and ram. I sold the rest for about 300 USD. I still use those parts on my system and in my NAS system. Though now I am upgrading my setup now that my wife's is finished. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

I was helping my cousin buy a new gaming monitor at Micro Center. We found a great deal on one and asked a rep there to see if they had any in stock. He tells us there's one in the back and that he'll try to look for it. He comes back after a couple minutes and tells us that he could not find it. We lost hope and decided to look for a different one to no avail. I decided to just risk it for the biscuit and ask another rep to find the same monitor. He managed to find it.