Motherboard missing 3 screws

Yiannis15

Hello. So I've build a new PC in the be quiet pure base 500 with an micro atx motherboard. The case was missing 3 standoffs but didn't have any I included to install myself. Is it ok?

DSC_1444.JPG

DSC_1445.JPG

16 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

Hello. So I've build a new PC in the be quiet pure base 500 with an micro atx motherboard. The case was missing 3 standoffs but didn't have any I included to install myself. Is it ok?

The case would have come with the motherboard stand-offs pre-installed for an ATX layout. At a guess, you need to remove the bottom row (as a M-ATX board won't be using them anyway) and move them to where they are needed.

Some cases have standoffs sort of dented into the case so it might.  Your pics might solve this one but they’re not loading for me.  I found a stock photo of the case interior which shows what might be at least two such stamped in standoff equivalents.  The only way I know here to add photos is to save to photo library than attach a photo from it. 1515362B-050B-4163-87E8-CEF75633F7CC.thumb.jpeg.66da8d8294e3dfd9121984c512dd9b95.jpeg

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Blai5e said:

The case would have come with the motherboard stand-offs pre-installed for an ATX layout. At a guess, you need to remove the bottom row (as a M-ATX board won't be using them anyway) and move them to where they are needed.

I have already built the pc. Will it be ok?

2 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

How is the bottom of the board being held? If you didn't move the stand-offs, you're holding the top and middle (same as ATX). It won't be a problem unless you manage to over-flex the board installing something and snap it.

Just now, Yiannis15 said:

I don’t know.  I can’t see the pics.  Missing motherboard screws can make a motherboard less rigid which can cause problems.  They also serve as electrical ground sometimes though that has become less common.   

There are different schools of thought about which if any motherboard screws can be left off and for which board and situation.  I personally am of the “they can be non critical” school.  I don’t particularly defend such though.  Many are of the “no, all of them except in specific situation” which is really quite reasonable too.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Blai5e said:

How is the bottom of the board being held? If you didn't move the stand-offs, you're holding the top and middle (same as ATX). It won't be a problem unless you manage to over-flex the board installing something and snap it.

Yes there are screws on the top and middle

18 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

Yes there are screws on the top and middle

Technically even two screws would work. But you have to be careful when installing anthing in the slots beneath the last stand off row as it is not supported

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 minute ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Technically even two screws would work. But you have to be careful when installing anthing in the slots beneath the last stand off row as it is not supported

Yes I noticed it when I tried to install the usb 3 and hdaudio because it bended a little